Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar craving!

Hi everyone!
    I know that when giving up alcohol, it's common to crave sugar and sweets. However, I'm well I'm almost a year and a half sober and I get these days where I just crave sugar and sweets. It's never really left me since quitting. Anyone else have this?

Sugar craving!

OMG yes and yes.... if you look back at my threads i have one about my cookie addction... its terrible.. i am hoping i can start an addiction to apples or drinking water... LOL

caper
    caper
    AF since Sept 2013...
    :alf:

Comment

Sugar craving!

Both my brother and I found that if you up your protein, this really helps!! When your protein intake is higher, it seems to help with the sugar cravings for some reason - hope this might help.

Sun
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sugar craving!

My understanding is sweets and alcohol have a very similar effect in the brain known as the glycemic response. One reason I was told to avoid sugars and carbs in that they will perpetuate this sugar high the body is now missing since we stopped drinking. It is apparently a long lasting crave effect as well.

This video touches on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVoYpiiy7jg&feature=relmfu[/video]]4. Dopamine's Role in Reward (version 2) - YouTube
        and this one illustrates the glutamate effect... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0XqgWQn7E&feature=relmfu[/video]]6. Dopamine & Glutamate in Addiction - YouTube
        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
        Watch this and find out....
        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Sugar craving!

Little Mit..........A post was sent out that a Michelle had past away......Glad to here that it was'nt you. Though who it might of been I give my regards. I remember your post from days gone by....and liked your inquires..... Lolly pop anyone ! ha! Tony

?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Sugar craving!

Im approaching my one year anniversary here pretty quick, and I too still have very high sugar cravings.
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Sugar craving!

I too have sugar cravings. I never used to but since I quit 5 months ago I crave sugar almost every evening.
              I enjoyed playing Easter Bunny on Sunday, my boys got a few less treats than intended!
              Yummmm!
              R4L
              Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Sugar craving!

This has been a real battle for me too. I never used to eat sweet things until I stopped drinking then I couldn't get enough. At 2 years AF I decided enough was enough and I went all out to take control. Like our relationship with AL when we let in a little sugar our bodies crave more so like picking up that 1st drink, the important thing is not to start on the refined sugar.

I know that sounds really difficult but we have coped with a much harder struggle when we quit the booze and sugar is a real addiction which should be taken way more seriously than it is. I think Sunshine is on to something with the protein, I started snacking on almonds and I mean a few handfuls a day. This definitely helped and also seemed to fill me up making me less likely to want to eat any junk.

Having now consciously quit eating sugar for a few months the cravings have gone and I have never felt so good. When we allow sugar in as a regular part of our lives its going to keep the craving alive. Like the AL monster, once we starve him he gets weaker and dies and allows us to take back control.
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Sugar craving!

A low carb diet has worked for me with sugar cravings...lots of lean protein, green veggies (not the starchy ones like potatoes), flax seed meal, coconut oil, basically whole foods that are low in carbs and high in good fats like Olive oil, flax oil, and fiber! Good luck!
                  Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                  :h

Comment

Working...
                  X