Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking, miso and alcohol content

For those who love cooking -
    I am confused as to whether us alkies can consume miso soup. It has traces of alcohol in it - from the fermented soybeans - but I would assume this is minimal. Have googled for info - no clear guidelines. When I consume miso soup I don't have any triggers of alcohol - I just like the clean refreshing taste and I add in tofu/seaweed/mushrooms.
    Also - whats the verdict on wine in cooking? Does the alcohol evaporate once its been reduced or boiled to death? We are getting into winter here in NZ & I often cook French onion soup. Have tried it without wine - not that great. The wine imparts flavour (especially needed as I don't use beef) & I know not to add it at the end - but to integrate it into the cooking process.
    Again - my yummy French onion soup does not make me want to drink - its just cosy & comforting.
    :H

Treetops! This is a great question. For me, I say that I will not cook with wine or AL here at the house. It's just too great a temptation and I'm not good at pouring wine out (see past 2 years of posts, ha), but after about 6 months sober, I ordered a dish at Macaroni Grill only later to discover it had some wine in the sauce. I was appalled when I later found this out, but it did not drive me to fail. If it is cooked to death, as it might be in soup or a sauce, I consider it safe...I haven't yet been tempted with candy with liquors inside or flam-bayed (I knew I was butchering the word, so just went with it) stuff. Not to split hairs, but I think I will stay away from the liquor'd candy...but I think I'd be absolutely ok with someone else cooking with it and serving it, as I was at Macaroni Grill. I will be interested to hear what the others have to say!! Thanks for starting this! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I eat miso soup fairly regularly, and I think the alcohol content is pretty minute. Once it is heated through, I think most of it would evaporate. I also think this would only apply to miso soup that is made from miso paste fresh. The dehydrated instant miso (which is a pretty good alternative if that's all that you can get) obviously wouldn't have any alcohol in it at all.

On the second topic, and my thoughts only: I do not use any alcohol in cooking since I quit drinking. Why play with fire? No recipe is worth my quit to me. It would not be the food itself that is "dangerous," it would be going to the liquor store, keeping it in the house, etc, etc. that I would not want to engage in. Clean break for me all the way.
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

I love miso soup and miso salad dressing (uncooked). I consume miso in many forms on a regular basis and have had no issues with alcohol in miso.

To this I will add that I no longer cook with wine or any other form of alcohol. Taking the chance is just not work it to me.
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I am on Antabuse and have had no reaction from eating miso soup. I love the stuff! No reaction from kimchi or sauces cooked with wine either. Remember that AL is a naturally occurring substance, a derivative of sugar. Many every day foods, fresh orange juice for example, contain a small amount of ethanol. It's nothing to worry about.
          Ginger

You are here:
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for these replys. Also good to know that one can take antabuse and still consume miso etc. I won't cook with wine in the meantime - have never liked those sweets with alcohol in them. It is a tricky area - my daughter loves tiramisu - but we found a recipe with no AL in it but its pretty horrible. Also deep fried fish is often in a beer batter - but it does not seem to have any effect.

Comment

I think one of our posters who is a fab cook uses champagne vinegar and/or lemons instead of cooking with wine.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

For me at least I have to figure out what my motivation is. If I love a food product that happens to have alcohol in it, do I love it because it tastes good or do I love it because it gives me a buzz. If the motivation is the taste and I get no effects for the alcohol then it is safe for me to eat or drink. I still use mouth wash with alcohol in it because my motivation is clean white teeth and fresh breath even though I know if I wanted to drink the poison I might get a buzz.

Obviously if you are taking antabuse you have to be careful about using any alcohol, but aside from the alcohol making you sick or setting off a blood/urine/breathalizer test I think common sense regarding why you are using something with alcohol should be the order of the day.

Comment

Working...
                X