Alcohol and Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and Business

First, the purpose of this thread is not ask if mixing alcohol in your daily business is a good idea, we all know its not, although we do know some people that do it. I'm asking for advice from business professionals with how do they handle going out with clients and avoid drinking.

I tried this once when I was very young, mid 20s, I really didn't feel like drinking anymore, or if I did it was very little...anyway, I has this client who liked to DRINK! He didn't get crazy, he was a vodka drinker and liked to go to these Park Avenue UES places where models and post-op cougs hang out. So, I had to crumble, so I'd have a few beers with him when we'd g out, no big deal...now, wow almost 10 yrs later I really want to stop drinking for reasons in a different thread. However, I'm seeing this as a potential obstacle....meeting someone after work for business tends to lead to drinking, and there are people, successful ones to, that won't trust you if you don't!

I know there have to got to be some business people that have learned some tricks...I'd like to hear.

Alcohol and Business

that's a tough one....
    can you tell them that you are on meds that dont allow you to drink??
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I was doing that for awhile, I'm actually on meds, psychological meds. I remember when I started dating again and would meet girls for "a drink" and was at a point where I wasn't drinking and I'd use the med line...I didn't want to tell them I was on Welbutrin and Prozac so I'd make up a leg injury from running or hockey, but then they always thought it was weird I was still playing and running with this "injury".

Comment

Alcohol and Business

Hi Stewarts,

I have the same problem. I've been kid of dodging it - but I know at some point it will be an issue. The only thing I have going for me is that I'm a woman and it's a little more accepted if you're a woman who doesn't drink. Sorry to say, but it's true. It's still not easy though. I'm looking for some suggestions as well!

Comment

Alcohol and Business

ML, you're actually quite correct; women do get the "pass" when it comes to choosing not drink during networking, client dinners, etc. As a matter of fact, the worst thing a woman can do is actually get smashed, the other double standard; a guy may get the pass that it was just one of those nights, but a woman can seriously ruin her professional credibility and it doesn't take much....people start talking and making ridiculous stories, usually around her doing something sexual that never happened.

Not that a man is impervious, there is a point where they can f up to a point of no avail, but it tends to take a lot and usually forgotten after awhile, unless its at a company sponsored event - and that's because of lawsuits as we all know. I heard this one story, name will be left out, law firm well be left out, but the Chairman, it was a merger, a very old gentleman, got smashed and grabbed one of the admins...he was gone.

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I only meet clients at their place of business or in my office. No lunches, no dinners, no other locations. I don't know if this has cost me business in the past but I have an established clientele and at this point don't care if it has.
            2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I used to drink with clients, now I don't. It has been a good topic of conversation if and when we go out. I tell old stories, but then I show how I have matured over the years and let them know how this method of self improvement, (not drinking/healthy lifestyle) has led to me to being able to offer a better service. Basically I have been around the block, and they can trust me for it. I never bash them drinking and most of the guys that I have gone out with have mentioned how they have thought about quitting themselves. It's never had a negative impact for me, and I don't paint it as I was a loser, just that I have made a conscious decision to better my life. Everyone has respected my decision...but I joke about it, but then wear it proudly.

Comment

Alcohol and Business

Supercrew;1299624 wrote: I used to drink with clients, now I don't. It has been a good topic of conversation if and when we go out. I tell old stories, but then I show how I have matured over the years and let them know how this method of self improvement, (not drinking/healthy lifestyle) has led to me to being able to offer a better service. Basically I have been around the block, and they can trust me for it. I never bash them drinking and most of the guys that I have gone out with have mentioned how they have thought about quitting themselves. It's never had a negative impact for me, and I don't paint it as I was a loser, just that I have made a conscious decision to better my life. Everyone has respected my decision...but I joke about it, but then wear it proudly.
                That's actually very good advice...I too have been around the block, so can totally relate. Thanks.

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I am in the business community and am in a male dominated workplace (co workers and customers). I used to hang right in there with them.. what I tell them now, when I pass on alcohol (IF they ask, many times no body says a thing) 'why aren't YOU drinking?' I say, it has become like battery acid to my insides. If they persist...I go on to tell them that my type A personality led to some GI problems, and drinking makes it flair up. I had one customer go on even after that (idiot) and say, oh, come on, just ONE won't hurt you...I looked at him over my reading glasses and said, 'It isn't YOUR colon!' Not another word from him! If they don't like you not drinking...to heck with them, if you are doing a good job with their account, drinking shouldn't matter. You will find most of the obstacles you are worried about never happen. At least, that's what I found. So far I have survived 3 company conventions and many overnite seminars and training classes. NO PROBLEMS! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I am in a business where I must "entertain" clients on a regular basis, Lunches, Dinners, etc. Alcohol and even drugs (cocaine) are considered just part of doing business. I always felt just fine saying No to drugs, but I definitely spent many years drinking with clients and colleagues alike. Argggghhhh!

I no longer drink, and haven't been a drinker for going on five years now. I have No problem just not drinking. On occasion, someone might ask why I am not drinking or encourage me to join in, I just simply say, "Thanks, but I don't drink". I refuse to engage in any conversation that involves why I do not do drugs, nor do I drink. I believe that I do not owe anyone an explanation. It is None of Their Business!
                    I have never felt that being female gives me a "Pass" on anything, including drinking.

I think we should ask ourselves why we might think that we owe anyone information on our medical history, meds that we take or why we choose to drink and/or take drugs or choose not to ?

I think it is interesting that many successful business people do not drink. Two names that come to mind are business man, Donald Trump and the other is the long time, highly respected editor of Vogue, Anna, Wintour. Do you think that either of these people feel compelled to disclose why they choose not to drink?
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Alcohol and Business

Good points

KateH1;1300033 wrote: I am in a business where I must "entertain" clients on a regular basis, Lunches, Dinners, etc. Alcohol and even drugs (cocaine) are considered just part of doing business. I always felt just fine saying No to drugs, but I definitely spent many years drinking with clients and colleagues alike. Argggghhhh!

I no longer drink, and haven't been a drinker for going on five years now. I have No problem just not drinking. On occasion, someone might ask why I am not drinking or encourage me to join in, I just simply say, "Thanks, but I don't drink". I refuse to engage in any conversation that involves why I do not do drugs, nor do I drink. I believe that I do not owe anyone an explanation. It is None of Their Business!
                      I have never felt that being female gives me a "Pass" on anything, including drinking.

I think we should ask ourselves why we might think that we owe anyone information on our medical history, meds that we take or why we choose to drink and/or take drugs or choose not to ?

I think it is interesting that many successful business people do not drink. Two names that come to mind are business man, Donald Trump and the other is the long time, highly respected editor of Vogue, Anna, Wintour. Do you think that either of these people feel compelled to disclose why they choose not to drink?
                      As a funny aside, I'm in the real estate business and Donald Trump is NOT a respected member of our community...for real.... :-) anyway... I see your points.

You sound like you might be in the Wall Street game or entertainment, yeah that can get rough....I haven't had people ask me for cocaine in a long time, or hookers for that matter...I have friends in the Wall Street game and they sometimes get into some interesting situations with clients...situations at 25, I'd love, but at 35 ???

I didn't go to our office x-mas party because my bosses encourage drinking, and lots of it, which is kind of stupid. I didn't want to deal the sh@# show of that....which there was and I'm glad I missed it.

Anyway, I'll figure this out.

Comment

Alcohol and Business

Ditto what Kate said!
                        We certainly don't owe an explanation. I think a 'No thanks, but you go ahead' should suffice.
                        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I have another thread now relating to this, it doesn't start out that way, but it has begun, the good news, its not about me acting foolish in a business/drinking scenario...bad news, someone I care about. I saw a lot of women respond to this thread which I thought was very cool, I'd be interested in hearing some female point of view on this...here's is the thread, the business drinking related part of it comes up at the end. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...-do-62937.html

If that does work, it's called I need to do this in just starting out.

Comment

Alcohol and Business

Great thread.
                            I am at a stage where I enjoy telling people I no longer drink.
                            If they persist on asking me why, I gladly tell them I was getting "too fond of it" and have watched my father ruin much of his life because of alcohol.
                            I no longer want that life and MY life has improved since quitting.

Hope all are well
                            Damo in Dublin
                            Still trying !!!
                            AF 25th June2014

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I am in the male-dominated publishing industry and I have never worked with more booze-centered people in my life. This is an industry where if you don't have a penis, chances are you are not going to move up the corporate ladder quickly.(sorry guys, but it is true) Booze is at every event and I see the very young women in the office and the guys getting hammered at events. They know I don't drink and I have been honest that I don't have an "off" switch and I also would have never get into a car if I have ever had even one sip of alcohol. They don't bother me really about not drinking. I don't fit into the corporate mold and don't brownnose, so they expect me to do things differently anyway...just to be contrary I have told them however, I enjoy being the sober one so I can remember how stupid they all acted.:H
                              February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Working...
                              X