Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and Business

interesting

Wagoneer;1309525 wrote: I am in the male-dominated publishing industry and I have never worked with more booze-centered people in my life. This is an industry where if you don't have a penis, chances are you are not going to move up the corporate ladder quickly.(sorry guys, but it is true) Booze is at every event and I see the very young women in the office and the guys getting hammered at events. They know I don't drink and I have been honest that I don't have an "off" switch and I also would have never get into a car if I have ever had even one sip of alcohol. They don't bother me really about not drinking. I don't fit into the corporate mold and don't brownnose, so they expect me to do things differently anyway...just to be contrary I have told them however, I enjoy being the sober one so I can remember how stupid they all acted.:H
    That is very interesting, and even related to my post with this friend even. I am male and in a very male dominated corporate situation...I know exactly what you're talking about. Even this past week, when we had our own company event on this roof deck, I was drinking water, and my friend I had the little issue, even made note of it, not in a snide way, or anything like that, just noted it...I thought it was a little humorous even considering how frigin hammered she got the night before and she deals with a more low brow male dominated industry (someone related to mine, but much different). I was fine just drinking water. I didn't start drinking until I bumped into someone I invited and he was drinking, so I started drinking beer, so I had much late of a start than everyone else....anyway, I actually was enjoying simply drinking water....

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I still like the thread I read this morning... Tell them you are allergic. Oh yeah? What Happens? "I go to jail". funny yet to the point.
      :hDOING THIS FOR ME FOR TODAY!:h

WORD FOR THE DAY: HUMBLE

DAY - 1 Done
      DAY - 2 Processing
      DAY - 3
      DAY - 4
      DAY - 5
      DAY - 6
      DAY - 7
      DAY - 8
      DAY - 9
      DAY -10

Comment

Alcohol and Business

I deal with this all the time and lately have not been very successful. I am not so much worried of what they might think but my little "voice" looks at it as a way for me to justify the drink to be social and I do love my wine, but that is another story in my continuing fight to be sober.

I love the "I don't drink" line. I have also used the medication line. The I don't drink line works better for me with new people who have not ever witnessed me drinking. For some reason I feel the urge to make up an excuse with people who know me so that I am not preceived as having a "problem", especially my work mates. I am liking KateH1's response, we have nothing to be guilty about for not drinking. We are strong, healthy, and should be commended for having the fortitude to make the right commitments and decisions for our lives. Thanks for the post and good luck!

Comment

Alcohol and Business

The funny thing, ever people think its weird you're not drinking... I had a friend make an ass out of herself, it's in the other thread I pointed out...the funny thing, I've actually forgiven her without an apology, I just want things to go back to the way they were...I found it odd she didn't want to talk to me about it. A therapist told me she thought it was odd, especially for a woman; the therapists rationale was that there is definitely some sort of deep emotional link between the two of you, whatever it is, and the reason for her not wanting to address it right away is most likely, well stress, and probably embarrassment.... I've learned in other situations with women, not relating to this, when they feel embarassed, even if you don't care, they tend to shy away from you...it has nothing to do with what you did...anyway...

Comment

Working...
          X