Non Alchoholic drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Alchoholic drinks

As anyone tried Non A/L drinks? Beer or wine? Has anyone found it actually helped with giving up the booze or does it just send you on the downwood spiral to drinking alcohol again? I am about 3.5 weeks af now and have a party to go to Sat night and am thinking of non al beer. Have been using diet coke up till now. Just would like your opinions. Thanks.

Non Alchoholic drinks

G'day Boozer,

I find an ice-cold stubby of Bundaberg Ginger Beer is a really good alternative. Have you tried it?

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

Ginger beer is my tipple too. Diet coke or too much of it makes me a bit antsy and that doesnt help with the cravings for me either.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

boozer;1299809 wrote: As anyone tried Non A/L drinks? Beer or wine? Has anyone found it actually helped with giving up the booze or does it just send you on the downwood spiral to drinking alcohol again? I am about 3.5 weeks af now and have a party to go to Sat night and am thinking of non al beer. Have been using diet coke up till now. Just would like your opinions. Thanks.
        It depends on the person. Some can drink NA beer and AF wine and some can't. I myself is one of those who can drink NA beer and not want the real stuff. In fact a lot of the times that I want a beer its now a NA beer (I still get the ones for the real stuff but its not NA beer related) and I like the taste. The NA beer for me does the trick and I can get a 12 pack and have it last 3-4 days. I don't feel that I need to rush through it and I take my time drinking it. I say before the party get some NA beer and test yourself and if you can do it then great then you got yourself NA beer to drink, if you can't then you know that before the party and can stick to the Diet Coke (just make sure that you don't drink, I would recommend taking it home and not trying it at a bar just yet). And if it fails, dump the rest. I had my first NA beer at week 2 and although I was strong into the quit and know that I wasn't going to drink again, look at yourself and see if you feel strong enough to have NA beer. Like I said some people can't drink NA beer or AF wine. They can't because it makes them want the real stuff. Everyone though is different.

AF wine to me is ok but wine tends to be too sweet for me so I wasn't much of a wine drinker and its the same for the AF wine so I stick to NA beer and other AF drinks.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

Hi Boozer. I was a wine drinker and found Edenvale Non Alcoholic Shiraz a nice option. The whites and bubbles were pretty gack. Although if you want something with a bit of fizz give the Bundy GB a go like Tawny said. Its really refreshing.

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

Thanks Guys, I found your comments really helpful. I just find at the moment sitting around with a coke (and it does get a bit crappy after a couple) a bit odd, so I will give AF beer a go and GB!

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

I agree 100 percent with Drifty........with my workload increasing, I find myself drinking more of the NA beer. I consider myself very lucky to still be able to actually drink beer without AL

It REALLY helps the cravings
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

I tried NA beer when I tried to quit about 13 years ago. I packed a cooler full to take to a tailgate party. I ended up drinking 15 NA beers in about 2 hours. It bloated me and made me feel like crap and didn't taste good. I was basically keeping up with the way I normally drank beer. Didn't work for me and now I stick with diet coke or ice tea. On the other forum I used to post on the big saying was "non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics"...just saying.

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

I enjoy an NA beer when I feel celebratory. O'Douls "amber " is actually pretty good!

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

Here is my rule of thumb. If I like the taste I will drink what I like most, as long as is doesn't have alcohol in it. After 27 years of drinking beer for the effect, (I never really enjoyed the taste of beer, wine, or booze, aside from a magarita or a pina colada or some other sweet tasting drink), I realized that I don't like the taste. I drank beer, booze and wine for the effect and because everyone else did. So if I am not drinking for effect why drink something that doesn't taste great for me? I have also heard that some people think that drinking NA beer is a slippery slope and makes people want to drink the real thing.

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

Here are the NA beers that I drink.

Busch Na
                      Odouls both smooth and amber and sometimes I have Old Milwaukee NA too.

I have had others to.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

fennel;1299991 wrote: I enjoy an NA beer when I feel celebratory. O'Douls "amber " is actually pretty good!
                        FOR SURE!

Thats my brand, unless Im feeling frugal....then its Bush NA
                        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

Oh I drink it all!!

AF wine at special dinners
                          De alcoholized beer at parties or the bar
                          Labatts blue, Molson excell, O'Doules..... Mmmm

Oh my favourite is still Soda Water squeeze of lime...

Its all good, makes me fit in and feel great. Greatest invention after the blackberry...lol

Boh
                          http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

I was always a wine drinker when I drank AL. However I haven't found a good NA wine that I like. However, I do like NA beer. I find it refreshing and it feels like a "drink" even though it's not. I like St. Pauli NA. And like Drifty - I'm fine with just one or maybe two at the most.

Comment

Non Alchoholic drinks

It hadn't even occurred to me to get a non al wine or beer tonight while out with friends. But I sure love the reaction I got when I ordered a skinny bitch hold the vodka. (that means just seltzer with lime) lol. Broke the ice and made people laugh.
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19
                              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X