weekend trip, how to deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i am heading to the beach for a couple of days with co workers. it should be fun. luckily only one person out of 5 of us drinks so there should not be too much temptation and she is the type to have a couple of glasses of wine and go to bed. my only concern is they want to go out one night and that just does not sound like fun to me without drinking. what is the point of going to a club to dance, sober? will i be rude if i just want to stay back at the room? they all know my situation with the drinking and DUI so i hope they understand but i don't want to rain on their party with my issues. i can't wait to put my piggies in the sand and chill. this will be huge for me sober but it will be great to remember details of the trip and not have to apologize for my drunk actions. wish me luck...
    I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
    sober since 2/4/12

Hi Starfairy,

I wish you luck but you may not need it really! You're doing so well.

Who knows what might happen, you might decide to go clubbing and have a dance sober and discover that it isn't so bad! I've done just that and continue to do so regularly. It is great for the soul and the bonus is that you wake up without the dreaded hangover and feel physically good for having done some fabulously fun exercise!

Have a hoot and I'll be thinking of you sunning yourself while I'm experiencing colder days!!

Hugs, Nicelife.
    It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
    Mother Theresa

Comment

I've never had the courage to dance at a club without AL either star. LOL, I would feel so self-conscious I don't think I could move! I truly wish it weren't that way...Maybe it won't be forever, although my clubbing days are probably behind me for good.:H

Sounds like fun! Let us know how it went.

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Choose and do Starfairy. it's up to you now. Dance or not is up to you. Sober or not..up to you. Make it a good time for you.
        Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Hey SF,

Yeah at first it was weird to be in a pub or club without AL, but I've done it about 10 times now. It's no big deal. I'm not going to lie....it isn't half the fun, but I just say to myself I've drank enough in my life already, time to be responsible.... I can be the brains for once...lol or the DD!!

Just get up and dance, don't be self conscious! Ever watched a drunk try to dance? Now that's embarrassing. Don't worry, have fun!!!!

You will feel great in the morning and you will sleep well knowing the stories won't be about you...

Boh
          http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

It will be fun if you want it to be fun. I realize now that although I thought drinking made things fun, the only thing it really did was give me an excuse to not care about what other people thought.

If you think it will suck...well guess what, it will suck.

I have learned to do things now without having preconceived expectations of how they will be. I just allow things to happen and enjoy them as new experiences, not old experiences without alcohol.

I have found that things are more enjoyable when I don't measure them against things that I falsely remember being fun when I was drunk. Because the great drunken memories are just BS. I was drunk and don't really remember anyways.

Have a great trip!! I just did a seven day cruise and sat on Caribbean beaches for hours sober, and don't remember ever having a more relaxing and better time...and I even danced and had fun....but I am a good dancer.

Comment

Hi SF, I allways find its really difficult just before you go out,so I open a diet coke and carry it with me, to the bar, in tha car or wherever. Sounds crazy, but no one then asks if you need a drink. After a while no one cares or even notices. I admit it sometimes seems no fun when you are not drinking.Try and find a non drinker to chat to. Think of the huge benefits in the morning goo luck!!!

Comment

yeah i am one of those that would never dance without a drink. i am a horrible dancer. i am not much of one to go out to bars or clubs anyway. i always chose to drink alone in the privacy of my art room. thanks for all the encouraging words....i know it will be a good time even if it rains and we have to stay in and paint our toe nails. A KID FREE WEEKEND with an indoor pool and the beach and meals paid for!!!
                I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
                sober since 2/4/12

Comment

starfairy;1305587 wrote: A KID FREE WEEKEND with an indoor pool and the beach and meals paid for!!!
                  Holy smokes Star, don't mess that up with drinking! Wow...you are going to have a blast! You may even discover that you ARE a good dancer. My clubbing days are behind me too, but I have had a couple of opportunities to cut a rug and I must say, it's MORE fun doing it sober...makes you appreciate the applause more. J/K

Seriously, you'll be fine. You don't drink alcohol, you're not dead for crissakes. Enjoy yourself! Please tell us all about it. I never get to go anywhere, so don't leave out any details. LOL

Have a blast!

K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I just went to a Van Halen concert sober and had a blast!!
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Star...you can't not do anything for the rest of your life!! (forgive the triple negatives in that sentence). I mean, you have to carry on living and I'll tell you honestly, once you get over that inital round of taking drink orders..it will be a piece of cake! You will be amazed how little anyone else cares about what you drink. I find it helpful to ACT like I've been drinking...LAUGH OUT LOUD! If you aren't holding a drink at all times, no one knows that you haven't been drinking! Good luck with the dancing...I can't dance drunk or sober, so you are on your own. I live at the beach, which one you going to? I will keep an eye on you!! Bwahahaha! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                      X