Vanity :a motivator to stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Folks, this has been mentioned in another thread, and there were the amazing before and after pics a member posted .

What i would like to know, is how different you looked after giving up drinking? Did you loose weight, where your eyes and skin clearer? I am trying to use the vanity aspect to help motivate me to stop drinking, as I mentioned in another thread, it is really affecting how I look.

How did the changes occur , and over what time frame?

I'm going to take a picture of myself today, and how awful I look, to track changes that may occur.
    So any information on this would be welcome

I have had people comment that I lost some weight after quitting.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Drifty

How much weight did you loose? and did you do anything differant, except not drink?

Comment

Hi Daya!

Vanity was/is a big motivator for me. On my 4th day of being AF, some tennis-playing buddies commented on how white I looked...they were a bit concerned (being mostly tanners) and I was secretly ECSTATIC! Milk thistle REALLY helps, too. Also my eyes got clearer almost immediately, although occasional insomnia sometimes makes them a little more bloodshot-looking.
        Weight loss has NOT happened, partly because hunger is one of my triggers to drink, so this is not a good time to let myself be hungry OR feel deprived...so I have made up my AL calories with other "treats," Nutter Butters and Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, to be precise. Good luck! F
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

It is a motivator to lose, Daya, as I said on another thread, but it wasn't my primary motivation. I stopped because I was so sick of waking up feeling like hell. I was tired of the loss of "total recall", the hangovers, the fixation on buying/having alcohol every night, and that's just a short list. I can't think of one good reason to drink, actually. Although I do enjoy the taste of (some) AL, and I also enjoy a "buzz", all the good reasons go out the window shortly after they start, as I don't really taste the last drinks and the buzz turns into drunkenness.

However, on a superficial level, and one that most of us (who aren't drunk, lol) care about, vanity can play a big role in motivating one to quit, so if it helps you stop, it's enough.

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Hi Farrfall

Yes, I understand why the "pale" remark would be encouraging...I have this sort of ruddy complexion now

I'm going to have herbal teas, and soda water with lime in it (no vodka) to try and not get caught in the eating trap, but to be honest, I'd rather be a bit chubby, than drunk every night.

Comment

Library Girl, the main motivation is what you mentioned below...so far, i have managed (just) not to have it turn into a total train wreck, but its just a matter of time if I don't stop.

I actually think its more than vanity, I think anyone looking at me now must know i'm a heavy drinker, I can always pick it, and I see it in myself now, so its embarrassing. I manage to hide my drinking(I think?) from most people, but the inner and outer now match.

Also it only takes me 3 drinks now to start blacking out...very scary..

LibraryGirl;1306895 wrote: It is a motivator to lose, Daya, as I said on another thread, but it wasn't my primary motivation. I stopped because I was so sick of waking up feeling like hell. I was tired of the loss of "total recall", the hangovers, the fixation on buying/having alcohol every night, and that's just a short list. I can't think of one good reason to drink, actually. Although I do enjoy the taste of (some) AL, and I also enjoy a "buzz", all the good reasons go out the window shortly after they start, as I don't really taste the last drinks and the buzz turns into drunkenness.

However, on a superficial level, and one that most of us (who aren't drunk, lol) care about, vanity can play a big role in motivating one to quit, so if it helps you stop, it's enough.

LG

Comment

I hear you! I can't count how many times I thought, well I've only had a couple of drinks now and I'm not drunk...probably going to be an ok night (as in, I won't do or say anything stupid, or black out). More often than not, my initial resolve went out the window. Granted, more than a few times, I was able to keep it from going overboard (as in 4 drinks instead of 10, lol), but those were fewer and further between at the end.

P.S. This is totally off-subject, but sorta on...Today, a man who was shopping at our table at the flea market gave me a surprise hug (I wasn't expecting it, lol), and said, "You are a beautiful woman. Don't let anyone tell you any different." It has stayed with me all day, as I have wondered, what the hell did he mean by that? LOL, who said I wasn't. ROFLMAO My bf said, he just wanted to compliment you because you ARE beautiful. Bless him.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                Sylvia Plath

Comment

Blackouts

Yes LG, The blackouts are super scary....I have done some truly awful things and don't remember,(ended up in bed with someone I work with, abused colleagues whilst drunk) you would think it would be enough for me to stop???? Obviously not. I'm not sure why I am so determinate this time, nothing dramatic has happened, I am just soooo bored with this..

And that compliment you got is so lovely!!!! It is really uplifting when people say stuff like that, especially when its true

We really are not very kind to people in general, and something like that would make my day also))))

Actually I had an almost similar thing happen last week, was walking along the beach with 2 girlfriends ,and there was this absolutely gorgeous guy coming towards us. We looked at each other, he looked me up and down, and flashed me the biggest, most seductive smile directly into my eyes .! My friend said" well, he liked you"

Made me feel not so old and haggard

Comment

Hi Daya,

Looking good after 2 weeks AF, looking hot at 42 days ish.

I really toned up, and lost the bloated/puffy face and red skin, is what i have noticed on the outside. (daily exercise too, is an important part of my sobriety plan)

On the inside, i lost the depression, the anxiety, the negative outlook, and gained my freedom, clarity, pride, and self worth back.

I gained everything and lost nothing. There are no negatives in being sober. It is win win all the way no matter how i look at it.

Best wishes on your journey. Don't forget your https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I started dropping pounds fairly quickly....especially around my face(that was becoming round) and my love handle area.

You almost cant help but NOT lose weight by not ingesting empty calories. My energy level increased.......mornings didnt SUCK. No more heartburn........and to think.........we do it to ourselves!
                      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

hey Daya,
                        i am also so looking forward to looking better on the outside as well as feeling better on the inside.
                        after just a week i do feel quite a bit better--i've also been exercising and trying to eat well. somehow the not wanting to pour alcohol poison into my body has made me also really start thinking about the other crap i've been ingesting. today for the first time since feb. i looked in the mirror and liked what i saw.!! not just my looks but what i saw in my eyes. it was motivating!!
                        let's keep on keepin' on!

Comment

Hi Guitarista,

That's very inspiring!! 2 weeks is pretty much the longest i have been AF in the last 3 years or so..and I noted externally and internally the changes you mentioned within a few days. Freedom, clarity and pride and to get rid of that underlying sense of anxiety is what i would like more than anything.

I Have started taking the MWO vitamins again today, have joined a gym down the road, and have reread the tool box. A also took some photos of myself in a bikini...arghhh, the 4 month alcohol binge i have been consistently on has really made me look totally different.
                          I compared it to one taken 4 months ago...what a shock. I'm almost tempted(if I wasn't so embarrassed) to post them, just to show people how terrible constant drinking can you can look in a short time .

My hubby has just come home with 2 bottles of red....and i can feel my tension rising, which is why I'm posting here..

And I bet your hot, Guitarista Thanks for the info, and the encouragement.

Guitarista;1306982 wrote: Hi Daya,

Looking good after 2 weeks AF, looking hot at 42 days ish.

I really toned up, and lost the bloated/puffy face and red skin, is what i have noticed on the outside. (daily exercise too, is an important part of my sobriety plan)

On the inside, i lost the depression, the anxiety, the negative outlook, and gained my freedom, clarity, pride, and self worth back.

I gained everything and lost nothing. There are no negatives in being sober. It is win win all the way no matter how i look at it.

Best wishes on your journey. Don't forget your https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

G-bloke.

Comment

Its crazy, isnt it?

I always shed weight fairly quickly when i stop, or modify my drinking. Also notice it in the face the most. All these replies are very encouraging, thank you

Nelz;1306985 wrote: I started dropping pounds fairly quickly....especially around my face(that was becoming round) and my love handle area.

You almost cant help but NOT lose weight by not ingesting empty calories. My energy level increased.......mornings didnt SUCK. No more heartburn........and to think.........we do it to ourselves!

Comment

Hi Life change

Great name!! Thats exactly what i feel like. And that's fantastic that you can look at yourself, and really like what you see!! Congratulations.

lifechange;1306987 wrote: hey Daya,
                              i am also so looking forward to looking better on the outside as well as feeling better on the inside.
                              after just a week i do feel quite a bit better--i've also been exercising and trying to eat well. somehow the not wanting to pour alcohol poison into my body has made me also really start thinking about the other crap i've been ingesting. today for the first time since feb. i looked in the mirror and liked what i saw.!! not just my looks but what i saw in my eyes. it was motivating!!
                              let's keep on keepin' on!

Comment

Working...
                              X