Vanity :a motivator to stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too shed weight after I quit drinking. My puffy face went away and I gained back the motivation to get in shape by going to the gym on a regular basis. I also took Lglut and some other supplements. Like Mr. G said, your inside starts to match the outside with clarity, clear frame of mind and self, happiness, etc. Even when I would feel bloated from eating to much or a nice dinner, it was nothing compared to how I felt/looked when drinking. I have a ton of photos from my last trip home a few years ago when I was drinking every day since I was on "vacation," and I looked horrible, everywhere. Having those pictures is a great reminder to myself of how I do not want to be again.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Hey sunshine

Thats why i took the pics today, to remind myself of what i dont want to look like!!

sunshinetoday;1307036 wrote: I too shed weight after I quit drinking. My puffy face went away and I gained back the motivation to get in shape by going to the gym on a regular basis. I also took Lglut and some other supplements. Like Mr. G said, your inside starts to match the outside with clarity, clear frame of mind and self, happiness, etc. Even when I would feel bloated from eating to much or a nice dinner, it was nothing compared to how I felt/looked when drinking. I have a ton of photos from my last trip home a few years ago when I was drinking every day since I was on "vacation," and I looked horrible, everywhere. Having those pictures is a great reminder to myself of how I do not want to be again.

Comment

That's really funny Reggie, and also really beautiful. I think no matter how "beautiful" externally one is, bring drunk always makes you look ugly.

Reggie;1307060 wrote: Depends how ya look at it ..I am butt ugly.... either way ....but sober I have that inner glow no one recognizers and I am comfortable with that.... I don't give a rats arse about puffiness..Born with the exterior I was given..... yes it improves with a healthy life style ..but ya cant make jam out of shit!!!!! ..being sober for me is a inside thing ..that for me makes me feel beautiful ..JUST my opinion

Comment

More vanity!

Hi Daya,

Last nite before falling asleep I reviewed my "at least ten reasons I am grateful for no more martinis" list, and remembered two more "vanity" reasons...my thinning hair at the crown is now thick again (I had no idea the gradual hair loss might be AL-related) AND now my fingernails just grow and grow! No more peeling and breaking! My biggest gratitude item, of course, is the phrase "Normal liver ultrasound" ... (eight months after a "Fatty liver diagnosis") ... FEAR is an astonishingly strong motivator.
          . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Hi Daya,

This is a subject I thought a lot about and actually wrote on my list of why I should get back on track after a slip. After my first quite I lost a LOT of weight and then had corrective surgery to put things back where they should be. I guess it was a about 1.5yrs after my quit before I had the op. It was a major surgery and quite expensive BUT I did this being the new me and totally AF for many years. When I decided I could moderate my drinking and stepped back onto that roller-coaster I started to put weight on quickly and it was really distressing. My face bloated and my eyes were dull and I just felt horrible. I couldn't believe that I had spent soooo much money, time, effort into not only looking better but living a better life and I was wasting it ALL by drinking again. Crazy huh? Why would anyone do that??? Why was I willing to throw it ALL away by taking that very first sip??? Not questions really, just thinking out loud. Thank goodness I was able to scramble outta that hole!!!

My children were horrified when I told them (the night before my op) what I was about to do - they said "how vain is that!!!". I agreed, it was vain but it is also about how we feel on the inside. I truly believe that what is happening internally shows externally no matter what. I feel better when I'm taking care of myself and making an effort to TRY and look good. I didn't bother that much when I was drinking, it was way too much trouble!

So, I guess what I'm saying is (much the same as Reggie) if you're feeling good on the inside it will show. I cannot believe the person in photos of my life back then was me....I just can't!!!!

And, if you really are LIVING your life, IMOP you'll want to give it your ALL and looking good is certainly part of how some of us do that.

This turned into a bit of a ramble........sorry.

Nicey!
            It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
            Mother Theresa

Comment

Hi FF, I may do a 10 grateful list of why i don't drink anymore (even though its early days) that's a really cool idea. its interesting what you say about hair also, I have very long hair..and thought that it was just aging that was making it thinner, Would love to have the thick hair I used to have back.

Fatty liver sounds awful doesn't it

FarfallaP;1307284 wrote: Hi Daya,

Last nite before falling asleep I reviewed my "at least ten reasons I am grateful for no more martinis" list, and remembered two more "vanity" reasons...my thinning hair at the crown is now thick again (I had no idea the gradual hair loss might be AL-related) AND now my fingernails just grow and grow! No more peeling and breaking! My biggest gratitude item, of course, is the phrase "Normal liver ultrasound" ... (eight months after a "Fatty liver diagnosis") ... FEAR is an astonishingly strong motivator.

Comment

Hi Nicelife, i totally get where you are coming from with the corrective surgery, its wonderful to be able to reward yourself after all that hard work, and I don't think making ourselves look as good as we can is a crime. Actually after years of drinking, I don't think many of us feel terribly good about ourselves at all, so once you have given up, it makes perfect sense to me to change the outer to match the inner.

This addiction is a horrible thing, you must have been so upset when you started again..

Not a ramble at all I enjoy your thoughts, and its great you are back on track, very inspirational to me

nicelife;1307351 wrote: Hi Daya,

This is a subject I thought a lot about and actually wrote on my list of why I should get back on track after a slip. After my first quite I lost a LOT of weight and then had corrective surgery to put things back where they should be. I guess it was a about 1.5yrs after my quit before I had the op. It was a major surgery and quite expensive BUT I did this being the new me and totally AF for many years. When I decided I could moderate my drinking and stepped back onto that roller-coaster I started to put weight on quickly and it was really distressing. My face bloated and my eyes were dull and I just felt horrible. I couldn't believe that I had spent soooo much money, time, effort into not only looking better but living a better life and I was wasting it ALL by drinking again. Crazy huh? Why would anyone do that??? Why was I willing to throw it ALL away by taking that very first sip??? Not questions really, just thinking out loud. Thank goodness I was able to scramble outta that hole!!!

My children were horrified when I told them (the night before my op) what I was about to do - they said "how vain is that!!!". I agreed, it was vain but it is also about how we feel on the inside. I truly believe that what is happening internally shows externally no matter what. I feel better when I'm taking care of myself and making an effort to TRY and look good. I didn't bother that much when I was drinking, it was way too much trouble!

So, I guess what I'm saying is (much the same as Reggie) if you're feeling good on the inside it will show. I cannot believe the person in photos of my life back then was me....I just can't!!!!

And, if you really are LIVING your life, IMOP you'll want to give it your ALL and looking good is certainly part of how some of us do that.

This turned into a bit of a ramble........sorry.

Nicey!

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for this thread, some really interesting comments here.

Vanity and depression are the two major reasons I stopped. AL made me gain 40 pounds!

30 days caused me to:
                  *Lose 6 of those (I already lost 20 before that with strenuoos diet on top of drinking - V bad for the liver!)
                  *Made me look at least 2 years younger
                  *Made my skin look better
                  *My eyes clearer
                  *And yes, my hair better, although I expect the 1000mg of biotin I'm taking daily also has something to do with that.

Also bear in mind that we call it vanity but our outside looks are just a reflection of our inside health... So imagine what our poor organs are going through.

So if vanity makes people quit I say:

YAY FOR VANITY

Comment

Hey Dizzybee, what a cool response. The depression, and background bubbling anxiety are a major factor also.

Yours, and the others changes are very inspiring, its only been 2 nights since I have stopped, but my face and nose already looks less red.

And that's a good point about the organs. I have a heart condition, ended up in hospital last year with 2 stents put in my arteries, and I notice when i drink a lot, my poor heart goes mad.

Tha'ts great your feeling so fit and fabulous) I am committed (truly this time) to 30 days, and hopefully more. I have also taken some pretty awful pictures of myself, just to see the differences at the end of 30 days.

DizzyBee;1307527 wrote: Hi all

Thanks for this thread, some really interesting comments here.

Vanity and depression are the two major reasons I stopped. AL made me gain 40 pounds!

30 days caused me to:
                    *Lose 6 of those (I already lost 20 before that with strenuoos diet on top of drinking - V bad for the liver!)
                    *Made me look at least 2 years younger
                    *Made my skin look better
                    *My eyes clearer
                    *And yes, my hair better, although I expect the 1000mg of biotin I'm taking daily also has something to do with that.

Also bear in mind that we call it vanity but our outside looks are just a reflection of our inside health... So imagine what our poor organs are going through.

So if vanity makes people quit I say:

YAY FOR VANITY

Comment

Hi Daya!

I'll admit to being vanity-driven also. At first I quit because I felt so bad (and of course looked BAD too). Once I got some sober time under my belt, I really started to focus on the outer me. My skin cleared up and I take time to pamper myself now. When I was drinking I would fall into bed without taking off my makeup or brushing my teeth. Eww, I know. Then I'd just pack on more makeup the next day to try to cover up the red/puffy face. You will be amazed at the changes in your body after you have some sober time. I am still a work in progress, but I definitely feel and look better. You will too, just be patient and hang in there. Keep up your good work!
                      K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hey K 9, very true observation, i have been putting moisturizer on my face, and ant cellulite cream(on my legs, not face the last 2 days.

Last night I also bleached my teeth. Its amazing, I haven't been bothered to do stuff like that for ages. I get you about the covering up makeup, unfortunately my miracle eye bag cream no longer could cope...and as i posted before, one of the main motivators was not really vanity, more shame that I was looking like a drunk.

K9Lover;1307734 wrote: Hi Daya!

I'll admit to being vanity-driven also. At first I quit because I felt so bad (and of course looked BAD too). Once I got some sober time under my belt, I really started to focus on the outer me. My skin cleared up and I take time to pamper myself now. When I was drinking I would fall into bed without taking off my makeup or brushing my teeth. Eww, I know. Then I'd just pack on more makeup the next day to try to cover up the red/puffy face. You will be amazed at the changes in your body after you have some sober time. I am still a work in progress, but I definitely feel and look better. You will too, just be patient and hang in there. Keep up your good work!
                        K9

Comment

I really can relate to not caring, or at least not caring enough to do something about it, while still ensconced in the AL habit. I had gotten so ashamed of my weight gain, that I wouldn't even look at myself in a full-length mirror, and would turn away from my own reflection in glass doors! I absolutely HATED looking at photos of myself with my bloated face and body. I literally try and hide when someone brings out a camera. UGH!!! And I used to be so proud of my looks. What a waste!

My goal is to continue to look better. I am heading that way now, and I want to continue.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Working...
                          X