The Addictive Brain on 60 Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was an interesting piece on 60 minutes. Basically the addictive brain has surges of dopamine when shown their "poison". The receptors of the brain and frontal cortex are key. Many of you know this, but this information helps those who still feel they are inherently flawed or weak when they give in to their choice of addiction. The complexities are huge.

The addictive brain is definitely real and something we addicts have and have to deal with and information is power over this disease.

This may be on YouTube, but it's worth watching.
    Enlightened by MWO

That sounds really interesting Thanks for posting this. Going to see if I can find it online.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

even though I was surrounded by family and could barely hear I felt very empowered in a weird sort of way.....no wonder it's so f'ing hard!!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

mama bear;1307406 wrote: even though I was surrounded by family and could barely hear I felt very empowered in a weird sort of way.....no wonder it's so f'ing hard!!
        huh? I'm missing something. When couldn't you hear?
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

the 60 minutes story said that telling someone to just say NO is a magic dream...that addicted brains are hard wired to the addiction of choice and it's VERY hard to quit...so I went AHA...that sure makes sense to me!!
          now do you get it??? Ding a Ling:H

Comment

Well - that cleared it up! I thought what the heck is she talking about. :H:H:H
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Gosh,wish I would have seen that. Will have to look for the link (but they are often unwieldy).

Comment

The cool thing is you, alone, can change your hardwired brain. In fact, for me, knowing that my brain was "hardwired" this way made all of the difference in changing it. Until I truly discovered this info I just thought I really liked alcohol, come to find out that I trained my brain to really like it, and it was something I could untrain.

Comment

I agree Supercrew

Comment

Thanks for the information - I also believe you can retrain brains - though any tips Supercrew on what worked for you??
                    :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                    Goals:
                    Days 1-7 DONE
                    Days 8-14 DONE
                    Days 15-21 DONE
                    30 days DONE
                    60 days
                    100 days

Comment

I will reply later tonight, I am running late. You can check out my story in that section to get most of the info though.

Comment

Im back!

I was in somewhat of a binge spiral going down quickly. I was about to lose my family, I almost embarrassed my youngest son, and I was just really tired of working to stay drunk.

I was at a pretty low point in the scheme of my life. I had the reasons to want to quit bad, but I didn't think I could lead a fun successful life without alcohol. It was basically what I had lived for for the past 27 years. I finally realized I was both physically addicted and mentally obsessed with alcohol, but after I detoxed I realized the obsession was just my perception. My last detox was such a bad experience that the next time I mentally obsessed or even thought about drinking I tried to refeel and relive that last terribly sick feeling I had. I sat and focused for a good 5 minutes trying to imagine myself with the nausea and the shakes and the depression that I felt. The first time I did it I almost made myself vomit. The next time a drinking urge came I did it again. I got to the point after the first few weeks that I could relive that terrible nasty feeling in about 60 seconds after I had the thought of drinking. I practiced this pretty intensely for about 30 days.

After that I started going back out where alcohol was served, I always carried a diet coke in my hand and turned down every drink, but I realized seeing other people drink made me crave drinking. So this is when I started to imagine alcohol to be warm urine. I visualized it so well that I could imagine the warm glass and the putrid odor, and when I saw peopl drinking it I felt like I wanted to vomit. The first couple gatherings that I attended I even had a gag response watching people drink. I practiced this for the next few times I went were alcohol was being served.

After about 100 days I lost all obsession and all craving that I had for alcohol, and I did it all in my mind. Although I had to do it one day at a time, after about 30 days I had the tools necessary to beat any thoughts of drinking.

I sort of looked at it this way, I trained myself to believe I loved the taste of alcohol to begin with. I never liked the taste of beer or booze, I liked the buzz, I made myself put up with the taste. Also I was the type of guy who could get up after a bingeful night and suck down any alcohol that I could find, especially if I was with other hungover people....even if it was a warm Keystone or Schlitz just to show the other SOBs what a big tough drinker I was. Most people would want to puke watching me. I realized if I could force this stuff down my throat and pretend to enjoy it, I could do just the opposite and force myself to be disgusted by the smallest thought of drinking, and with some practice I trained my brain to not only hate the thought of drinking but to hate seeing others drink. The power of our minds and our imagination are unbelievable and can accomplish anything.

The other things I did to retrain my brain was to replace my drinking time with working out, walking or naps. Basically for the first 100 days I worked out during my drinking time...so I worked out alot. This working out improved my physical image and I got healthier, and people noticed. As people noticed I got complimented about how got I looked which made me want to workout more. The positive feedback also helped retrain my brain and I felt healthier and I got mentally stronger.

It was a process, and I really didn't plan it out before hand, I just started taking daily action to make sure I didn't drink for that one day, and it had a snowball effect.

If you have anyother questions please ask or feel free to PM me. Since then I have got into other things like self hypnosis, and NLP which have helped me get even stronger and be even happier.

Comment

A quick note on this, being I was thinking about my response earlier today. I didn't retrain myself not to drink, I retrained my brain to not WANT to drink. As I realized that I loved sobriety everything sort of fell into place.

Comment

great post Supercrew
                            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

that is one the best posts I have seen in a while SC...I am doing the same thing.....sort of

Comment

Working...
                              X