• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is you trigger?

Just wondering what triggers your craving: He's mine

When I am Tired and stressed.
    The time of the day 4.00 or 5.00pm
    The day of the week....usually Thursday to Sat Hope everyone is having a great af thursday!

What is you trigger?

My "trigger" i my fucked up life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps I really don't believe in "triggers" we are what we are and have to deal with that I have chose to not hide from it anymore.

MUCH LOVE!!

Bob

Comment

What is you trigger?

Back when I was drinking everyday, I would say, waking up was my trigger.

They are just everywhere........bars, liquor stores, beer trucks, commercials, days that end in a Y......its IMPOSSIBLE to totally get away from them IMO. But, it seems that given some time, and some training of the AL brain, they are a bit easier to ignore.

Almost forgot....movies....I dont know what it is, but when I see someone on TV take a shot of whiskey from a shot glass......../white knuckle and lastly, coming home after a hot long work day, wanting that tall cold frosty one.....Thank GAWD for NA beer.
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

What is you trigger?

Nelz Have u found any good af beers? We don't seem to have many tried some wine and it was ordinary !:thanks:

Comment

What is you trigger?

My triggers are Fridays and believe or not but housework...lol
          :dancin: enguin:
          starting over

Comment

What is you trigger?

My triggers would be having a good day, having a bad day, being sad, being happy
            so just about anything as an excuse to have a drink oh dear lol.

luv Flossie x
            Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

What is you trigger?

Believe it or not..... They eventually fade away!

For me they did. Once in a while I get a drinking thought in response to something I've personally experienced. But visual stuff, like liquor stores, ads, things like that - I don't even notice. This is coming from someone who's vacuum didn't start without priming the engine, so to speak (I get you ronnie!). That pavlov response to visuals goes away with time and the emotional ones take a little longer as you get used to navigating life's events (the good and bad) in a natural state. The thought of escaping or enhancing an event diminishes as you begin to own the self-image of a non-drinker. That ownership is a great place to be!

Boozer, attaining the awareness of your triggers is really important in your ability to navigate them. It allows you to take preemptive action; to have your toolbox ready. To make a plan. Onward and upward!
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

What is you trigger?

Greenie is right.

I very very rarely think of a drink these days and most of the time it does not enter my head...I just don't drink....period.

In the beginning, everything was a trigger..

Having a row with my hubby,
                Mondays.
                Getting good news
                Getting bad news
                Not getting any news at all
                Waiting on news
                PMS
                Thursdays
                Being Hungry
                Being Full
                Being Happy
                Being Angry
                Celebrations.
                Tuesdays
                Doctors appts
                Phone calls from my mother
                The kids fighting
                Wednesdays
                Nights out with friends
                Nights in with family
                Nights in alone
                Weekends
                School holidays
                Doing kids homework
                Fridays
                Sunny days
                Rainy days
                Windy days
                Cold days
                People who were normal drinkers
                Alcoholics
                Good programmes on TV
                Shite programmes on TV
                Takeaway food
                Home made dinners
                Sundays

I think you get the picture, every one of the above was a trigger for me but they were also AN EXCUSE to drink...I justified my reasons to drink with the most ridiculous excuses...it made it easy, gave my drinking a purpose, gave my conscience a day off and made me sit snugly, glass in hand and say "it's no wonder I drink..look at the state of my life"

While conveniently ignoring the fact that "the state of my life" was due to alcohol and the bits that were not, were hugely exacerbated by it.

There will ALWAYS be triggers, no matter how good your life is, but acting on them is a different matter. URGES pass, they really really do, I wish had realised this in the early days as I would have saved myself such a lot of misery.

Hang tight, recognise your triggers, use the toolbox and know that URGES PASS, that is the very best advice I have ever been given and is why I am sober today xxx

Stay strong x

Oney x
                "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

What is you trigger?

propartychief;1309474 wrote:
                  ps I really don't believe in "triggers" we are what we are and have to deal with that I have chose to not hide from it anymore.
                  I am the trigger, the only trigger that there has ever been. I'm not a big fan of the "trigger" concept. To me, a trigger is something that makes a result happen. Pull the trigger, and the gun goes off. It is not a suggestion or "cue" (I am much more comfortable with the idea of drinking cues or suggestions, since that is a psychological concept). A trigger is the mechanical cause of a mechanical reaction. The only thing that can allow me to drink is me.

So, I'm not concerned with "triggers" in my work at this problem. I'm trying to unload that gun, or put on a safety (to keep the trigger from getting pulled), because the only thing that gun has ever been pointed at was me.

I really hope that I don't come off as flippant, I am really trying not to be "that guy," just what I've experienced. Basically what alot of people have already said: that I had to come to a realization of how and why I was drinking, and by accepting the responsibility, allows me to move past the "triggers" in life. Great thread, Boozer!
                  "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                  AF 11/12/11

Comment

What is you trigger?

I'm with you, Pinecone. The trigger was me. I just wanted something to blame other than myself. Oy. Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

What is you trigger?

A warm weekend day, sunny, blue sky, having worked in the yard all day and that cold, cold glass of Chardonnay around 4:00. Oh and having an animated, fun conversation on the phone.
                      MM
                      "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

What is you trigger?

Friday and Saturday nights tend to be my trigger. I mainly drank to stupid on Fridays (not every Friday but too many) sometimes on Saturday nights (but not as much since I had church in the morning, only missed church 2 times due to hangovers and still managed to go with a few minor ones. Dunno how I managed to hide it though (ether that or nobody talked to be about it) but I managed to do it). But the triggers are dying down slowly the longer that I stay af. The triggers hit so weakly for me now. I can easily go through them. But I know that if I were to drink again, I would be right back to the beginning.
                        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

What is you trigger?

Hi Boozer. Ive read all the responses to yr post. They r all so personal to their findings. I have to say this...Greeneyes and One2many have alot of wisdom to offer...listen to them. Ive been on this mywayout for a while...on and off...I flit but my advice to you is.....If you want it..youll get it.
                          Triggers?..way too many..even talking about it is a trigger..hehe. lol Good luck my friend and pm me whenever u like. I will reply. I drink but my plan is to enjoy life without alcohol. Bella x

Comment

What is you trigger?

My list is almost identical to One2many's

However my worst trigger was being in the home of someone who (appeared to be - but you never know do you!) successful and happy in life and a moderate "normal" drinker who would pressurise me to have a glass of wine............
                            And I would think, I can have just one, I can be normal like them, they are very happy / successful and they drink only moderately, I can be the same.......................Can't I ?

Comment

What is you trigger?

I am not big on the trigger idea, for me, just thinking about drinking was my trigger. And the last couple of years drinking was all I thought about before I quit.

If I was thinking about drinking all bets were off. The funny thing is now that I don't have the thoughts or obsession with drinking I am using my methods of quitting in other areas of my life. The last 2 days I fasted for about 36 hours and basically cleaned out my system. I now find that I have more will power to accomplish other things. I can't believe I am saying this because although I am in pretty good shape I love food, but not eating for that long was very rewarding and made me feel great. I would have never been able to accomplish that or even try to start a fast prior to training my mind to not want alcohol.

Although I hate the fact that I have been a "problem drinker" in the past, the process of quitting and being sober has helped me on so many levels and has really helped me to grow as a person.

Comment

Working...
                              X