Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book - Drinking: A Love Affair

Is there a "Book" Thread?

Anyway - just started this book last night. Read it SOBER! What a different read from when I tried reading it drunk.

I am the person in the book!

Reading it sober vs drunk... when I was drunk I was crying and feeling sorry for myself. Last night, I read it as more of a "hmmm. yeah, that's me, that's interesting", and looking at me from the outside rather than dying on the inside.

Not sure if I explained that right.

It's so hard to write here because I'm always at work, and just trying to get my thoughts out quick!
    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Hey Rainyday

Not to be a drag but that was one of my favorite books, and unfortunately Caroline Knapp got sober but then died of lung cancer at 42.

There are a ton of good books like that out here. They help me in not driinking, just to know that there are people who conquered it.

Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife is good too

Comment

You know.... I figured that would be her fate. It was in her genetics. But at least she helped others!

I'll look the other book up! Thanks!

I'm being careful not to read books that might trigger something. AA books are bad for me right now. I don't want to think of myself as an alcoholic. I am someone who has a problem with alcohol that can be fixed. I don't always want to be an alcoholic!

I love to read, but haven't found anything which sparks my interest of late!
      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Hey Rainyday

I have a bunch of good stuff on my Kindle that I bet you would like. I'll post a list after while and you can if any of then interest you.
        For some reason I don't say alcoholic. I prefer alcohol addiction, based on the definition of addiction. I just can't drink-it makes me drunk! LOL
        I've been taking Antabuse but I have to stop. It has made me very sick and I know for sure it has to be that. Side effects can vary and after a few weeks I feel AWFUL so I'm stopping it.
        I'm not worried about drinking. It'll be ok

Comment

Hi Rainy,

There is a thread entitled "What We're Reading"...and it can include ANY book, not just ones focused on addiction. There are a lot of "readers" around these boards...LibraryGirl (of course! lol), myself, Mama Bear, Techie, just to mention a few off the top of my head. I've read a lot of good books based on suggestions around here.

Be well and keep reading

K9
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Thanks K9 and Ms Ann!

Comment

I've read A Love Story on my Kindle. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't describe me at all, lol. For one thing I'd never have the money to do the things she was doing, nor be able to function the way she apparently was, while drinking. That is, she never missed work, etc.

For the most part, reading is an escape for me, so I tend to avoid non-fiction. I do love good recommendations, so bring it on!

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Working...
              X