Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disclosure from Dr to patient - good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback on this dilemma. I qualified last year as a private health professional and have set up my practice. All is going well and it is steadily growing.

My problem is that I went to rehab for 6 weeks last October (best thing ever, sober 7 months and loving it. ), I advertise that I treat addictions on my website (but only speak of it in general terms alongside other health issues) and now I have had a patient confide that she is worried about her drinking.

I am not sure how to handle it. I have had a general discussion about it with her and asked her how she would like me to support her with this issue BUT, so far, I haven't disclosed anything about my own AL past. I haven't even told her that I don't drink myself.

I am wondering how much, if anything, I should disclose to her. I don't want to compromise my professional reputation but I know I used to hint to all sorts of therapists that I was 'worried' about my drinking when I was really screaming out for help. I did eventually see one guy who was a recovered Alcoholic and it helped me a lot to hear his success story. However, he got sober many years ago adn had a lot of experience in his career. I, meanwhile, am new to both.

What do you think? Should I be more open in order for my patient to potentially benefit from my experience or do I just keep it to myself and play it by ear?

Thanks
    Bean

I was absolutely thrilled when my doctor told me that his mother was an alcoholic! It made such a difference to me. he totally understood where I was coming from and was way more empathetic than anyone else I have seen - unfortunately he has since gone and the new doc I have is hopeless - doesn't understand at all. Just my tuppence worth........
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi Bean,

Does your experience need to even be mentioned at all? I'm a CPA and I see no reason to discuss my personal finances when talking to a client about their circumstances. If you feel like it would help your patient you can decide but I don't think it should be necessary. Hope everything goes well with your business.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Bean;1312904 wrote: Hi All

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback on this dilemma. I qualified last year as a private health professional and have set up my practice. All is going well and it is steadily growing.

My problem is that I went to rehab for 6 weeks last October (best thing ever, sober 7 months and loving it. ), I advertise that I treat addictions on my website (but only speak of it in general terms alongside other health issues) and now I have had a patient confide that she is worried about her drinking.

I am not sure how to handle it. I have had a general discussion about it with her and asked her how she would like me to support her with this issue BUT, so far, I haven't disclosed anything about my own AL past. I haven't even told her that I don't drink myself.

I am wondering how much, if anything, I should disclose to her. I don't want to compromise my professional reputation but I know I used to hint to all sorts of therapists that I was 'worried' about my drinking when I was really screaming out for help. I did eventually see one guy who was a recovered Alcoholic and it helped me a lot to hear his success story. However, he got sober many years ago adn had a lot of experience in his career. I, meanwhile, am new to both.

What do you think? Should I be more open in order for my patient to potentially benefit from my experience or do I just keep it to myself and play it by ear?

Thanks
        Bean
        Hi Bean; well done you on your sobriety and setting up your own practice.
        For what it's worth, I think you need to protect yourself to a degree. If people are coming to you for help they are likely to be in the midst of their addiction; there is the potential for talking to others when under the influence of their particular addiction. You won't know right now how that may affect your career, depending on whose ears the information falls - there is such a stigma attached to those with addictions. It is early days in your new venture...
        I believe the knowledge you have gained through your own experience will shine through and your reputation will build through your understanding and care in this field. I (my opinion only) feel you don't need to compromise your position. Once you have established yourself and maybe a patient who has become 'clean' with your help asks how you are so good at your job, then that's your cue to speak up if you want to.
        I would imagine most would guess you must have first-hand experience; as we all know, no-one understands better than someone who has been there.
        So, there it is, my thoughts.....hope it helps and really good fortune in your future career. You will be great!
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Bean, as your client, it would help me to know about your addiction. However, I agree that because you don't have a long time sober, it could be a hindrance.

You might want to PM Doggygirl. She is in school studying to be an addiction counselor, and I would imagine they actually have covered what's ethical in a situation like you describe.

Great job on your accomplishment - both personal and professional!

Comment

I totally agree with Unwasted. You can provide your clients with valuable knowledge regarding your experience, but unless you feel it TOTALLY NECESSARY, I would not share your personal background, it just isn't worth it. One tells the neighbour, etc.,etc.,

I have never needed to ask any my professionals in my life to disclose their background.
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hey Bean

As a medical professional and a person with alcohol addiction ( but sober) I say NO.
              Your professionalism cannot be compromised, though your experience gives you a much better angle on how to help, since you have been there.

Just my 2 cents

I think this person is lucky to have found you at this moment of clarity, and you can help more than someone who doesn't KNOW

Comment

You have been given terrific advice here. I would only add my experience w my doctor. When I apprached him about topside I was worried but I already knew he had his own issues (small town!). He didn't mention it, neither did I. What I loved was his eagerness to help me, support me. That's the main thing you can offer. My daughter is a medical professional, and while she's wonderfully supportive of her patients and non-judgmental, she and I would feel it a violation of our relationship to tell them about me. There are boundaries. Again the others said everything I would, justif patients give you an opening, they WANT to tell you about it. Be there for them , just don't compromise yourself.
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I think the value that your experience brings to your job here is that you have some personal insight into it, and on how to get sober, plus you also know how difficult that can be. I don't think telling a patient of your own experience adds anything to that, and they don't need to know it for you to help them. Just my 2c

Comment

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your input and advice. I think you are all right - that I should keep it to myself, and simply use my experience to inform the way I work with patients without telling them the whole story (or even any of the story).

I mostly feel strong in my sobriety but super aware that it's early days and not enough time has passed for me to even trust myself 100% never mind try to put myself out there as a role model or 'one who knows'!

And mostly I agree that I shouldn't compromise my professionalism. It only takes one careless comment and my community could get completely the wrong impression of me. It makes me mad that there's such a stigma around alcoholism (even if you are recovered) but it's reality.

Onwards!!
                    Bean

Comment

Working...
                    X