Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple way to surfing/coping with a craving !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nancy;1323811 wrote: I think both Dixon and Kate have good points here. Dixon, I think what you are saying makes sense in some ways. Buddhist philosophy has a lot about not trying to run away from unpleasant things, because then they only get stronger. You have to befriend those things that cause you pain or that you are afraid of.

Having said that, there's much to be said for distraction in another activity. I don't see it as distraction anyway. There are a lot of enjoyable things to do and you may forget that when caught up in an addiction. It's also supposed to be good to replace one habit with another. But hopefully the new habit is healthy. I know that distraction or replacement, whatever you want to call it, works. You may want to go to your addictive substance for solace, but rather than sit and ruminate on it by yourself, wouldn't it be better to call a friend for support?
    Hi Nancy,
    Yes, not only Buddhist philosophy ,others also have some techniques to runaway from unpleasant that's why every religion has a prayer.Prayer is a kind of meditation it depends how long we do ,the longer we do get more creams. In my opinion Buddhist and other ways of calming our thoughts are not sufficient as it almost ignores physical exercise.
    My new idea is the combination of prayer and the physical fitness.We could do both together if we have a song/chant/prayer whatever you say , so we can dance,cry,weep at the sometime.If we dance there is a physical exercise and a kind of celebration,likewise scouting/crying and weeping are important to throwing out our evil thoughts and it makes body and nerve system active too.After doing them we could be laying down for a while and observe/scan all our thoughts and let them go and focus on our body organs.So my experience is that we should have a celebration to get energy and then meditation ...If I do this really works for me if I do not have any close friend to call on.
    If there are some friends who could help us would be a bonus to our recovery for sure !
    Thanks a lot for your insights.
    Dix
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Hi Kate ,
      I am really with you as saying by you .Copied your nice combination of words below to remember ,thanks you so much.

By using this technique, we are not in any way "suppressing pain or negativity", but we are also not allowing these thoughts ANY Power.
      Dix

Comment

Superscrew,

I think this is a good idea to put in positive thoughts in our brain .Of course brain has limited space ,if we put positive inputs there is no space the for negative one.In contrary ,if we try to throw out negative thoughts they resist and stay long demanding their rights to occupy the space in the brain,create more disturbances,start fighting .Thus our wisedom is let them go out theirself.How do you thinks fellows ?
        Dix

Comment

I believe that I can control my thoughts. I have found that I get what I focus on. If I want to be happy and positive I stay focused in that direction. Living in the moment is key for me. When I was drinking I never lived in the moment, I either was focusing on my next drink or focusing on something stupid I did in the past. I wanted time to past fast to get to the next time I would be able to get loaded, like a big party or event, I would dread the end of weekends just because I hated waking up hung over and having to go to work.

Now I live for NOW, and I try to steer my thoughts to staying happy in the moment. It's been working really well for the last year and a half, and the more I practice the better I get at it.

Comment

Superscrew,

Yes, you are doing well.I have also learnt that no one can alive in the past and furure either they are Bill gets or a Barrak Obama.Nobody is rich enough to their past and get guarantee for future.Thisis the GURU mantra for me now.Of course ,not being a sober we try to live in the pat and future which is totally waste of time.

I know you like partying but I used to drink alone and very quickly ,may be memory lost within half an hour .I used this longly technique to save my time and consume how much I liked .LOL.I am now out for a short walk ,come back soon !
            Dix

Comment

Working...
            X