Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning

On day 4 now and feeling fairly positive, overall. Much I believe has to do with planning. I used to plan how/when I would drink, certainly I have to plan how not to!

I have done that for the past three days and it has been critical. This weekend we have to go to my husband's class reunion. Not sure how to plan for that. I know about 5 people and that's it so it's not like I will have anyone to talk to. I'd normally have a glass or 5 of wine because that makes me and everyone else so much more interesting (very heavy sarcasm) but I am not going to do that. I don't want to embarrass myself or him. Any tips welcome.

Have a great day everyone.:thanks:
    Hawk

Planning

Morning Hawk,

Anyway you can simply not go?
    I am almost phobic regarding reunions due to my past. and I was good in my high school!!

:lHugs to you thisi morning.
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Planning

Hawk, the tips I've read say arrive late and leave early, if you must go to an event serving AL (and you're newly sober). Drink club soda with a twist and an olive, tomato juice with a dash of tobasco and some celery, sprite with a splash of grendadine and a cherry...Don't mess with the NA beer, and if there's any doubt that non-AL drinks will be served, bring your own. Also, you will probably not be the only non-drinker, so find the other winners!! Good luck, and you can always check in on here when you get a chance.:l

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Planning

Hi Hawk,
        Don't think we've met, so hello there. :hallo:

It's very early days, so a few little white lies won't go amiss. There's the antibiotic one, I've got to be up early tomorrow one or I'm on a health kick one.

And you're spot on with the arrive late, leave early strategy there, LG.

I also find having a glass of something non-al in my hand before anyone asks what I'd like to drink.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Planning

The only other excellent advice that I can add is, have an escape route. In the past I've been in similar situations. Discuss ahead of time with your spouse that you leave if your feeling to tempted. Have someone else drive your spouse back to the hotel or wherever your staying. There may also be taxi service available. Make an excuse that your not feeling well. Put your sobriety b4 everything else!....

When I was 5 months sober I was at my Hubbies HS Reunion & had to take this action. I left & went back to the hotel. One of his friends drove him there later.

I have family coming from out of state at the end of June & I'm newly sober again. I've told them no alcohol in our home period! They all drink & some our much younger. If they don't like it they can get a hotel. Of course I was polite about it, but I have to take my sobriety seriously.

Good thinking on planning. :goodjob:

Comment

Planning

Thanks for all the tips. I really wish I could skip all together but I cannot. I wish it was one night but it's not, it's 2 days and nights. I have a plan now......and I think I feel a cold coming on...sniff, sniff
            Hawk

Comment

Planning

Hi Hawk,

Feel like I sounded a bit like an idiot or vain person. I meant to say those peoples excellent advice, not mine. It was never my original advice to begin with. I was told that long ago by somebody else. I just thought I should let u know, cause I feel like after I read it tonight, after seeing your response that I came off sounding bad. That wasn't my intent. I don't have all my marbles that's for sure, it's gonna be a while.

Please use any means possible to protect your sobriety! When I went it was out of state & I only knew a couple of people, tho not very well. Without the alcohol I felt uncomfortable after 1 hr or so. I made it about 3 & left. I had a plan in place, my escape route along with some of the other things that were suggested to you here.

I sure do wish you the very best sober time at your spouses reunion.

Take care of that cold coming on....

Comment

Working...
              X