Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find peace in each day when not drinking

Hi everyone,

I would really love to hear from people who have stopped drinking, or controlled their drinking and actually find peace in each day without needing to 'drink their worries away'. Obviuosly the drink doesn't take away any worries but temperarily 'numbs' them , only to return again the next day. Any suggestions for calming the mind and feeling that this moment is really just fine without the constant nagging of an uneasy anxious feeling that takes away enjoyment for living. This is my main battle in not wanting to drink.
    Many thanks in advance.:thanks:

neney, I try to end each day on a positive note. Give my parents or an old friend a call, meditate, go for a walk by the river, take some photos, appreciate the small things, a healthy diet and some exercise helps a lot . Change the things we can and accept the things we can't. Accept the fact that there are a lot of inconsiderate incompetent people out there with bad intensions. Those drinking thoughts faded fairly fast for me, do something good for yourself everyday.

WW
    100 days 04-10-12, entering the danger zone, Rodger that!

6 months July 1st

Comment

neney,

The MWO Hypno CDs were instrumental in helping me learn to relax without AL!
      If you have them, use them. If not, look for something similar on the internet ~ it's out there.
      Developing an attitude of gratitude helped replace the feelings of deprivation. Do whatever you have to to remain positive

Wishing you the best!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Neney, I read, cook, induldge in some mindless television and swim - those are the things that relax me. I also drink herbal teas and make some special drinks, like stawberry basil lemonade. It feels like a treat and I look forward to it and the tea just like I used to look forward to alcohol. It's amazing how you can retrain your brain if you really want to. I also meditate like WW. Even for just a few minutes per day.......sometimes it's as little as a few deep breaths.

Best to you!! Keep it going because sobriety will give you peace whereas drinking alcohol gives you chaos, misery, and an endless cycle of torment.

xx,
        UN :lilheart:

Comment

Neney,

I've gradually built a mental wall between alcohol and myself through changing routines, getting back into and starting new interesting activities, and distancing myself from the people, places, and things which I associate with alcohol. I have never been more at peace, ever! Give yourself the time necessary as it won't happen overnight but will happen and when it does life can be unbelievable.
          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Hi
            hmmm, good question. when i have a stressful situation (uisually money or lack of) i instantly think of AL but i force myself to remember that drinking is a temporary relief and the problem will still be there the next day only worse. it will now include the feeling of guilt. I drink lots and lots of decaf herbal tea.
            caper
            caper
            AF since Sept 2013...
            :alf:

Comment

This is a good question! My MindPeace came when I committed to being totally AF. As long as I had a choice, there was chaos in my mind. When that choice was removed, peace filled in. I would have NEVER imagined myself to be an advocate of NO AL....but my head was a mess until I got AL out. Totally out, no matter what and no matter who. And of course, true peace comes with time. I am well over a year now, and I've never been more at peace with who I am and my place in the world. I could never say this while drinking because it was in control of my thoughts and actions. I don't think it is possible for 'us' to ever find peace with Alcohol. Like WW said, acceptance of this is a big step in the journey. B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdlady;1330201 wrote: This is a good question! My MindPeace came when I committed to being totally AF. As long as I had a choice, there was chaos in my mind. When that choice was removed, peace filled in. I would have NEVER imagined myself to be an advocate of NO AL....but my head was a mess until I got AL out. Totally out, no matter what and no matter who. And of course, true peace comes with time. I am well over a year now, and I've never been more at peace with who I am and my place in the world. I could never say this while drinking because it was in control of my thoughts and actions. I don't think it is possible for 'us' to ever find peace with Alcohol. Like WW said, acceptance of this is a big step in the journey. B
                That is an awesome summation of the way I hope to feel someday; to have found my place in the world. Thanks Byrdlady.
                Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I find peace in that I am in control of me and I don't have to worry about drinking to much and/or acting dumb. I find peace in that every morning is a hangover free morning and every night is a sober night. I find peace in that I still have my friends, family, and the ability to go out and not drink. I find peace in that I have more fun now that I am not drinking then when I was. When I was drinking I had my fun times, but I always paid for it the next day, now that I am sober, I can have fun, and not pay for it in the morning.
                  I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X