Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 MONTHS SOBER TODAY BY UNWASTED

Hey Everyone,

I haven't been posting a lot because of my wrist -- thought it was carpal tunnel but it turned out to be a cyst. The current recommendation is to just lessen using it. If that doesn't help (which it has been, actually) then my next choices are steroid injections or surgery. Needless to say I'm hoping to avoid being cut on. You know the deal - great if it works but potentially the cure is worse than the ill. My doctor is top-notch, so if it gets to that I'll be comfortable with him.

Now, for my $0.02 on being sober. First, if you're struggling, stick it out. I've said that many times before and I still maintain that being sober beats the hell out of the never- ending alcohol roller coaster. I've been reading the recent posts and I can relate in a big way -- the questioning if it's worth it, the feeling that life is a combination of too boring and/or painful without our trusted anesthetic. But, it's an impossible quest - we always want more than just one or two drinks, and that's what we'd have to keep it at in order to stay sane.

The things I keep in my head that are helping me stay sober:

? I always fast forward to my ruined night's sleep and being hungover if I were to drink;
    ? I know if I had one it would set off cravings that would lead me back to heavier drinking and that I'd be back in the rut;
    ? Even though I have down times, they pass and I'm happy I didn't cave to drinking;
    ? I feel healthy now and am grateful to have stopped hurting my body with alcohol;
    ? I'd rather struggle from time to time with wanting to drink than struggle every day with the hangover, anxiety and depression that goes hand in hand with drinking;
    ? Obsessive thoughts about drinking are waning and not drinking is feeling more and more like my new normal;
    ? And, second only to the fast forwarding technique -
    ? I remind myself that when I think of drinking, my memory of it isn't accurate -- the "euphoric recall" clouds my recollection making me remember the "good" stuff, but not the agony.

I'm not saying anything new here -- just a reminder of what we all already know but need to keep in the forefront of our thinking. Try to find the wonder in the little things in your every day life and be more satisfied with feeling peaceful. Think of boredom as peace.

Sending you all the strength to beat alcohol. :lilheart:

p.s. Wine Wrangler, Allswell, K9, My Life and all my buds, hope you're doing well.:l

Huge congratulations UW! Thanks for your words of wisdom too!

On the cyst--check out maitake mushroom and yarrow supplements. I've known cysts of all kinds to "go away" using these.
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Right on! Keep up that spirit and that attitude, and you shall conquer this beast in its tracks.

As always, wonderful words of wisdom, many congrats on your 7 months

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1879128=6929-attachment.jpg[/img]
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Unwasted - Timely post for me. A very rough night escaping life's pain for me. Woke up with that super down feeling.

7 months - that is awesome. I would just like to do 7 days!

Comment

Congratulations on your 7 Months!!!!! That is awesome, UW!! I must say that you are a kindhearted, loving person and you have given me some great advice. I wish you well on your continuing journey, and I hope you continue posting and sharing your beautiful spirit!:l

I hope your wrist heals naturally too. I imagine surgery would require lots of therapy and rehab, not to mention downtime due to recovery. So, although I want to see lots of you on here, I do understand the need to rest that hand. Can you type with your toes?:ranger:H

Lg

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Well done on your 7 months you are doing great
            Thanks for your post xx
            :dancin: enguin:
            starting over

Comment

OMG...it seems like you hit 6 months only yesterday.
              Bravo sweet friend
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Unwasted, first huge Congratulations on your 7mths, you are doing amazing!

Secondy thank you so much for your words.....great advice - spot on!!

I especially love the "think of boredom as peace and the fastforwarding to the ruined night's sleep"!! I am sleeping so well right now and no way do I want to give that up!!! No more waking in the middle of the night in a hot sweat, heart racing & like you say...the anxiety!!! And this time...when I'm feeling "cranky" I accept that its okay to feel "cranky" - that it will pass and I will feel better whereas before I wld have been opening the bottle. Like Jason Vale said....its just getting used to the indicators in the new car!!!

I hit my 30 days last Thursday. Your thread on "What are you Reading" re the Jason Vale book pointed me in the right direction & has a lot to do with where I am today so a big thank you for that!!

Wishing you well for your continued happiness....xx
                AF since 9 May 2012
                Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Congratulations UN! You are a real inspiration and your words of wisdom resonate with me everytime!

I also haven't been posting a lot but only because I've been really enjoying my AF life and I haven't had time! I'm with you on everything on your list. Thanks for the reminders about the reality of drinking.

Wishing you the best with your continued AF life!

Comment

Over in the Newbie's Nest, we give hats for 30 Days!! I don't know the proper etiquette for 7 months, but I do know this: That stretch of time doesn't happen without a dogged determination and many scars of false starts. I am so proud of you and your contributions to this site. Well done, and here's to a lifetime of easy peace. Much love and admiration, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Unwasted,

Congratulations on seven months of sobriety!!

Many thanks for your post and thoughts. I agree with them wholeheartedly and putting them out there is helpful to all of us.

I hope your wrist heals quickly so you can be more of a presence here again.

I look forward to your eight, nine, ten .... posts, too.

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Congratulations Unwasted!!! What an achievement! Keep up the great work!! Thank you for your continued support of everyone!

Comment

Congratulations, Unwasted! I am so happy for you!
                          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                          AF 11/12/11

Comment

I am so PROUD of you UW! You are a beautiful person, inside and out...and I thank you for all the advice, wisdom and love you've shown around here. This place would not be the same without you...so get that wrist fixed! :l
                            You are one amazing lady and I look to you as a role model! I loved your list...it's SO TRUE. I can identify with all of it.
                            Keep up your great work my friend.
                            Love,
                            K9
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. And thanks RC for the supplement suggestions. Will give it a try.

xx,
                              UN

Comment

Working...
                              X