Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTENTION AUSSIES 4 CORNERS MONDAY

All Aussies,
    I just saw a promo on ABC TV for Four Corners this coming Monday at 8:30 pm.
    It is interviews with recovering alcoholics/heavy drinkers.
    Don't know anything else but I'll be watching and taping it on video.
    Could be worthwhile to watch.
    I'll tape the show so if anyone wants a loan of the tape I'll be happy to send it around.
    I'm also going to go into the ABC site and let them know trhat MWO exists.
    They may put that on as a rider at the end of the program.

thanks for heads-up, Rags. Should be intersting viewing!
    blondie

Comment

Thanks Rags,

I'll tune in (though may need to borrow the tape... my aerial is on the blink!)

Gem
      Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

JUst copied this from ABC website. I also sent them an email about this site.

This documentary conveys the enormity of the challenge facing those who have fallen into alcohol’s trap.
        ?"Battling the Booze" on Four Corners at 8.30 pm Monday 19 February, ABC TV.

Take part in the live online forum after Monday's program with special guests. The forum will be open for comment from 9.30pm AEST.

Comment

Fabulous, thanks Fran. Will make sure I catch it. I have also informed all my ex drinking friends and a few who are still in the trap.
          It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Hi Rags et al
            Just finished watching it here; was very poignant. Didn't know "Dicko" was on. Used to think he was very full of himslef, but his admission that he was an alcoholic tonight changed my perspective of him. Once again they showed statistics about how much more harmful alcohol is, yet smoking and drugs get more attention and financial backing.
            love
            blondie

Comment

Wot a program! I went into the forum after the screening, and boy there were hundreds of posts!
              We are a nation of boozers.
              I replied to a few and pointed them in the direction of doctors and MWO.
              I have taped and dvd'd it if anyone wants to watch it.
              Also have alook at the forum. Go to [url]www.abc.net.au/4 corners , and then wade through the stuff to go into the forum section for Battling the Booze. There's some good reading there.

Comment

BURRAMYS;97845 wrote: Wot a program! I went into the forum after the screening, and boy there were hundreds of posts!
                We are a nation of boozers.
                I replied to a few and pointed them in the direction of doctors and MWO.
                I have taped and dvd'd it if anyone wants to watch it.
                Also have alook at the forum. Go to [url]www.abc.net.au/4 corners , and then wade through the stuff to go into the forum section for Battling the Booze. There's some good reading there.
                Burramy, before I read your statement: "we are a nation of boozers," I was ready to ask you about that. I heard Australia is like Ireland in that regard.
                where does this go?

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the heads up, I really enjoyed the program. And did you notice?

1. The person who just said "I'll knock the drinking on the head" folded in the face of usual habit, i.e. his best friend coming from overseas... and said, "well I just couldn't not drink with my best mate."

2. The person who went into rehab said she was fine while in a rehab environment, but relapsed once back in the real world.

3. The person who had a comprehensive and well-thought-out program, with medication, counselling and a support group, is still sober five months on...

Once again it shows that a program that incorporates all possible aspects is the most successful. JUST like My Way Out!

MY support group is here!

And Blondie, I agree... my perspective on Dicko changed too. It must have taken some real guts to go on the program, knowing that it would be splashed all over the papers and knowing he would take some stick for it. I think it is sad that even knowing he would have to come back on TV and talk about it, he still relapsed... but I really admire that he was honest enough to come back and admit he had slipped.

As for the "we are a nation of boozers", it is very true. As a Pom who has now lived in Oz for seven years, for me it's been a case of "out of the frying pan, into the fire"!

Gem x

Comment

And yeaaahhh Burra!

Saw your recommendation on the Four Corners forum of this site!

Gem x

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that too. You need a plan. And support.
                      How absolutely true what the psych said about the cloak of mateship. Then confirmed by Dicko's drinking buddy. And yes you can drink with your best buddy but not like he did. How can he say he had a good time when he can't remember how he got the bruises, or remember what he did! I don't think waking up with bruises of unknown origin is having fun. May be a blokey thing.

Thanks Gem, But I was too slow to be able to get up a separate thread about MWO. I should've done that first. The forum closed just as I was about to do it. I spent too much time reading the posts. I had actually emailed 4 corners on Sunday about MWO, then phoned yesterday, but the program was already together.
                      Just wish I'd had the 4thought to do separate post. I bet ther'll be a follow up program though.
                      I'd never heard of Dicko as Aus Idol isn't my sort of show. But I think he deserved the bagging he got. Standing next to a bar. My husband and I both said, "Well, I'd be getting rid of the bar for starters" We've been MTL (married too long) . He didn't really want to stop.
                      I think managed to do 4 posts recommending MWO.

Comment

Not for the reason of this post....but I think I wanna move.....Australia sounds ok to me. But then again.....so does the UK, Canada, Mexico, Tim Buck Too, Mars, uhmmmm......anywhere besides where I am. So long as I can take my dog.
                        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Geez Gabby,
                          C'mon over, it's a great place.
                          Bring your doggy and enough money for it to stay in quarantine for 6 months.

Hmmm, Mars sounds good, no liquor stores to tempt us.

Comment

RAGS? BURRA??? who are you Fran???

I had to miss the show becuase I was playing netball - will talk to you in chat about getting hold of a copy from you.... could possibly organise a ride down there for a visit?
                            It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

I was reading on the website that they are rebroadcasting it.... two more times apparently. Sorry I don't have the specific dates on hand. Sometime this coming week or so. It is listed tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X