• Show
Clear All

Alcoholics Are Not Powerless Over Alcohol

Just read this and had to share.

Alcoholics Are Not Powerless Over Alcohol | Psychology Today

MUCH LOVE !!

Bob

Great articicle Bob thanks for sharing. I agree with the dr that wrote it its all in our mind.

Comment

Gee, that's a good article. It certainly hits a few nails on the head.
      I've saved it to my files as it also relates to some other stuff I'm working on.

BTW how are you?

Comment

Thanks for the article Bob. I hope everything is looking up for you!
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

This article is something I truly believe. Pro your location still reads HELL and mood sad. This makes me sad for you. Still praying you find your way back.:l
          Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

This is something I was lying in the bed thinking about all morning! Really interesting that I came on here to see an article that completely supports what I believe.

I do think that 30 days (for me anyway) AF helped me to come to this realization. I know that I am not powerless over AL. To me, that is much more positive and empowering than AA's first step.

Lg

"I like people too much or not at all."
            Sylvia Plath

Comment

Maybe it is the case that some people who abuse AL are not addicts then. I know that once I decided to quit, my mind was more powerful than my "addiction". I also know that if I drink again, AL is not going to "mysteriously" take over my life again. I chose to let it become a destructive, debilitating habit, but it did not control me. While drunk I did and said things I wouldn't have sober, and in that way it controlled me, but I poured the AL down my throat. Conversely, I didn't buy AL for 39 days, and it didn't come knocking at my door with handcuffs.

Does that mean I'm not an alcoholic? Maybe so.

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Rags;1337212 wrote: Gee, that's a good article. It certainly hits a few nails on the head.
                I've saved it to my files as it also relates to some other stuff I'm working on.

BTW how are you? Glad you found this useful. Not doing so hot really that is why I'm really just a lurker anymore.

allswell;1337259 wrote: Thanks for the article Bob. I hope everything is looking up for you!
                You are welcome. Not so much but hope that all is well for you.

RingingCedars;1337276 wrote:
                This article is something I truly believe. Pro your location still reads HELL and mood sad. This makes me sad for you. Still praying you find your way back.:l
                RC don't be sad on my account please. "It is what It is"

To all of you thanks for asking !!

MUCH LOVE !!!!

Bob

Comment

Terrific article. Thanks for sharing!!!
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

I just want to thank Propartychief very much...I bought & have read "The Heart of Addiction," by Lance Dodes, and it makes PERFECT sense to me! The OBJECT of the addiction isn't obliging me to act, it's ME which is compelling me. I've wondered for years why drinking AL suddenly became obligatory for me after I quit smoking, and THIS theory explains it. I've ordered the workbook, and hopefully unravelling my own psyche will free me even more. Thanks again!
                    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

sounds like a good read
                      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I enjoyed this perspective. I don't believe there is one truth on any subject, so I find it interesting to hear the different interpretations. We each need to find our own truth, which will pave our individual path to recovery.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

reading the book

This book is amazing! Much better than the article. I think his point is that if it was just a physical addiction, you would detox and get well. Such was the case with the Vietnam soldiers who got addicted to heroin during the war but easily detoxed after the war.

His theory is that feelings of helplessness drive addiction. Based on the book, the subject line of this thread- Alcoholics are not powerless over alcohol - is a little misleading. The author's theory is that addictive behavior is an attempt to regain power, based on very real psychological problems. So it's a self-medication theory. But with very bad side effects.

What he said about genetics is true, they haven't found an addiction gene and he reviews the mixed results of genetics studies.

He offers explanations about why biochemistry research doesn't explain addiction either.

I'd say this book is a must-read for anyone who has a dual diagnosis: a psych issue.

Comment

The article is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I think I must buy the book. I do believe that I shift from on "addiction" to another. For example recently it has been playing online games, for hours on end, to the detriment of the rest of my life.
                            I hope things get better for you Proparty Chief.
                            Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                            If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                            November 2, 2012

Comment

Thanks to both Chief & Eva,

I read both & agree with both. Tho I don't think everyone has the physical genetic part. No they haven't made funding for genetic mapping to prove this. Tho the theory & suspicions, along with clinical published studies have been around for years. Read about it a long time ago.

Even if it's all a mental & emotional problem that's going to effect the brain, which then in turn changes the brain, I think, making it physical. How all this is weighed 30% ~ 70%. I don't know.

Hope your feeling better to Chief! Where are you? Why don't you post? Have you taken any suggestions from here or elsewhere to start making changes?

Comment

Working...
                              X