X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcoholics Are Not Powerless Over Alcohol

book vs. article

To Ne/Neva Eva.
    The book explains things a lot better than the article. He isn't saying that it's all about willpower. If it's a physical addiction only, willpower and detox would work. If it's a true addiction, that is psychological in nature, then willpower and detox won't work. Or they might work but the addiction would just go someplace else, like food or gambling or shopping.
    And as he wrote in response to the comment, there are tons of examples where the medical establishment gets it wrong, nutrition guidelines being the prime example.
    This is all in keeping with Amieson (sp?) and Bac, in my opinion, because in that case, the cause is extreme anxiety, so the drug removes the cause, removing the addictive behavior.
    Psychotherapy is just another route at addressing the cause.

Comment

I attend AA meetings and have no problem admitting I'm powerless over alcohol, once I drink it. Alcohol does not attack me, but if I drink one, I will become powerless over how many I drink.
      I enjoy all the various methods people use to improve their lives. Keep sharing.
      Love and Peace,
      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

cpn1004;1344361 wrote: I attend AA meetings and have no problem admitting I'm powerless over alcohol, once I drink it. Alcohol does not attack me, but if I drink one, I will become powerless over how many I drink.
        I enjoy all the various methods people use to improve their lives. Keep sharing.
        I absolutely agree. I attended AA for many years off & on, 100's... of meetings. I think people don't understand step one. They don't advocate people don't have a choice. It's after the fact, after you injest the poison, is where the powerless comes into play. Yet, they do advocate for an HP when your feeling weak. That HP can mean anything. It could even be this website.

I know I'm powerless over alcohol & that I'm an alkie. I also know how unmanageable my life became in a variety of areas. I also know it's my responsibility to take the action necessary to bring about the change needed, to live a healthier & happier AF life. Doesn't matter to me if it's done thru AA, MWO or any other method. In fact I think BILL W, Sister Ignatia , & Dr Bob would like MWO!

These are my opinions & no body elses!

Comment

I am truly pleased that somebody/anybody got something positive from this post.
          I felt when I read it that it may touch somebody.
          I am here everyday but it does not seem to be in "my cards" to try again yet.
          I did have a good run (11 months) but failed yet again !!!
          Not to discourage anyone I only want the best for you all.
          It can be done!!!
          And I do think I will see it again.
          But I have other issues to get inline first.

Some of you "oldies" know me and I just want you all to know that I am keeping up with you all and still have MUCH LOVE for you. (That is for those of you that don't know me as well).

Stay strong !!
          MUCH LOVE and PEACE !!!!

Bob

Comment

getting something out of the book

There is a problem with the just don't take one philosophy so eloquently described in this book. The main one is that many can have one. I remember an AA meeting where the members joked about going to the local bar and every person said they could never have just one. And they all laughed and I couldn't laugh with them, because I knew it wasn't true for me. But as the book says, the problem with this philosophy is that to the contrary many people can have a single drink, many people can have normal occasions but then a binge occasion. So the dogma does not match experience, and then the person loses faith in the dogma.

To Proparty Chief, thanks so much for posting! After all these years of reading, this is by far the best book I have ever read about addiction.

Comment

propartychief;1344418 wrote:
              Stay strong !!
              MUCH LOVE and PEACE !!!!
              Backatcha.....good to see you more often Pro. :l
              Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Working...
              X