Drinking causing anxiety. I like my booze but want to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, this is my first post as I stumbled across this site using our old friend Google. I was looking for support or ideas on how I can stop drinking. The thing is I am not an alcoholic that craves the alcohol on a physical level. I do however attend many functions where alcohol is flowing quite heavily.

I came to this point because after about a 2 year stretch of feeling good, my anxiety has come back. A few months ago I was walking down a street in Italy (a place I love) and had a full blown panic attack. Since then I have been feeling very nervous and shaky with no real explanation as to why. I have had to take Xanax much more than I would care to do.

I went to the doctor and he had my heart checked and put me on a monitor, it turns out I have an irregular heartbeat but it is nothing to worry about. My heart is actually very healthy. So he decided to put me back on 10MG of Lexapro. I know people will say this is not supposed to happen and it was probably mental but about 2 hours after I took that pill, I had a euphoric feeling. A "RUSH" where I felt high. I did not feel nervous or scared......I felt high. I never took the pill again and it took about 2 days for me to feel normal again.

I finally came to the realization that I have anxiety and no magic pill will fix everything. I never feel suicidal or as severely crippled as many people but I have a constant nervous, light headed, dizzy, shaky, feeling at times. Its hard to describe but it sucks. It has definitely negatively impacted aspects of my life though. I have missed a family members Christening and that really bothered me. I also realize that alcohol has a huge impact on my feelings. If I feel anxious, sometimes the alcohol will help if I have a beer or two. The thing that really messes me up though is the hangover. The next morning I may feel anxious right away, it also may take a few hours to finally hit me. But the feeling is undeniable. My anxiety is much more intense.

So the easy answer is "Just stop drinking" and that's what I would like to do. The problem is I am a social guy and think I am going to have a hard time not partaking in boozing it up with my friends. I have football season tickets and we tailgate. I am a big soccer fan and we go to bars and watch games. I enjoy going on the boat with the family and we definitely have our drinks. I realize we all love to do things like this, but I am just being realistic. Its going to be very hard to stop with the drinks.

I am hoping some people with a similar situation may have some advice or tips on how to stop the binge drinking that most people I know do. I want to still enjoy the good times with my friends and family but also live a more healthy life with NO anxiety if every possible.

Welcome Pinturicchio and congratulations on your first post. That is a difficult first step for many. I do sense some indecision in your goals and that's ok too. You are here and trying to sort that out. Again, good for you. I'm not a meds person so I'll give you a few links that may help you get started. I wish you well and continued growth on your journey.
    Just Starting Out? - My Way Out Forums lots of activity and support in the Newbies Nest
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f3...ers-65114.html
    Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums
    Welcome to My Way Out (that link didn't show as I hoped--it's a drink tracker you'll find nearer the bottom of the main page)
    Of course you can always keep this thread you started as your "home" thread for checking in too. Whatever works to get where you want to be. Best wishes!
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply. You are very correct, I have a lot of indecision in the road ahead of me. I am used to a certain lifestyle so it feels like its going to be close to impossible to totally quit drinking. I am hoping I turn into one of those people who after time honestly does feel like they don't miss drinking at all. Just getting to that point seems miles away.

Comment

Hi Pinturicchio.
        I had some similar issues like you. I would say I suffered from S.A.D. at points.
        I don't want to steer you in a specific direction. I can say for me baclofen worked for me. It even help me feel more at ease socially.
        It can be a long haul and trying at times to get to the right dose level on baclofen where you hit a swtich and no longer want a drink.
        Supposedly you can have a drink and not go crazy. I can tell you I was in Vegas and I did not go crazy. I did still drank but about 1/3 of what I normally would have and that's with all expenses paid.
        No hangovers and no problem going back to no drinking when I got back.
        Others have had luck with topamax and gabapentin. Even others with Naltrexone and Campral (neither worked for me).
        I think the first two also help with anxiety but I have not tried them since I found my answer with baclofen.

Comment

Hi Pin,

Glad to have you here! The thing that finally got me to stop drinking was the ANXIETY. I would wake up and not feel THAT bad physically (slight hangover), but my mind was all over the place, panicky! I HATE that feeling, and since I've quit drinking, I don't have it anymore. So I completely understand where you are coming from. I take Ativan from time to time if I ever start to feel uneasy, but it's not common anymore. I also take Antabuse which keeps me completely off the booze, there's just no choice when you take it!
          Anyway, welcome, and please keep posting!
          K9
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Pin,

I started having the same EXACT problems you had several years ago. Before I get into it, check out this site... Why Alcohol Causes Anxiety | Anxiety Guru | Hope and Healing . There are many reasons alcohol can cause anxiety or change your mood; most people start noticing it as they get older, I know I did. I never (or I should say rarely) ever get hangovers, I get bad anxiety attacks (if I go over my limit) and it can even lead to severe depression. It does pass though. I can relate to the relying on Xanax, although I haven't had any Xanax in months. There are some things that are more physical, than mental, meaning in your brain that can help you out.

One, B-12 vitamins, take some before you drink, ideally, alcohol depleting this vitamins can cause anxiety, along with dehydration, therefore, try and drink more water. In general, try and take a multi-vitamin, also try taking fish oil pills, those are great for the brain.

Two, excercise! It is proven that running is a natural anti-depressant; anxiety and depression usually go hand and hand. I do run, you can try that, but try and find something that works for you...it may be biking, lifting, whatever, you'll figure it out.

Third, meds, can be tricky. Its not unusual to for SSRIs and other anti-depressants, dopamine inhibitors, to take awhile for your body to get used to. SSRIs usually are pretty good with handling anxiety; however, certain drugs act different ways with certain individuals body chemistry. So, if lexapro was making you feel too weird after awile, the Dr. can try something else; they very rarely get i right the first time. I actually take two meds - prozac (SSRI) and Welburtin (dopamine inhibitor).

Fourth, now, with meds, you have to watch your drinking carefully. Despite what people say you can NEVER, EVER drink, its not true. A Dr. will tell you that's your decision, but keep it to moderation. The line they usually give people is one drink per day for a woman, two per day for a man. Now, your two might be three, or maybe even four over a long period, you'll need to figure that out. Also, there's a very good chance the meds will distinguish your appetite for alcohol; there's also a possibility certain meds can increase it as well. Yes, abstaining is always your best course of action, but as you pointed out some time its not realistically, or you just don't want to.

Okay, so how do you find your limit. Keep a journal. Write down what you drink, how many, what time, etc. Oh, and just as important what you ate. First, you'll be surprised how much you drink...those two or three beers, may really be 5 or 6. You'll also notice certain drinks make you feel differently the next day. For example, a lot of people, with anxiety issues, notice they have problems with wine; this is not surprising, there's lots of sugar in wine, that is a factor. Personally, I also avoid hard liquor, but everyone is different.

You'll also notice you won't want to drink at events also; for example, say your training for something. I needed to go on a run last night, and got back from work late. I stuck $20 bucks in my pocket, went on my run and walked into a bar, all sweaty to order some food to go. The last thing I wanted was a beer and hang out, moreso because it was late, and, well, I really didn't feel like anything; seltzer was fine with me.

Here is what I noticed about myself. My max limit is around four beers (light) in a night and nothing after 10pm (on a weekday). If I stick that, I'm usually fine. Also, I try to see what I have going on that week, because I like to avoid consecutive drinking days - even if its just one beer.

I realize this is a lot, but I know exactly what you're going through. Definitely read that article I sent you. It will make so much sense to you.

Comment

Working...
            X