Cough Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cough Syrup

Okay - this might be an odd question, but believe it or not, a lot of people often think of this as a slip.

I am obviously not going to use it to get "high" or "drunk" or whatever it is that some people do with cough syrup. I legit have a crazy dry throat that is turning into a cold and was wondering what you guys thought of taking things like this while being on the sober path?
    A lot of people won't even use mouthwash or eat foods that have been cooked in alcohol.

Curious what your take on this was.

Cough Syrup

That's not a stupid questions but I honestly don't have an answer for you. My daughter had a cold about a month ago and I thought I was coming down with one too so I took come Dayquil. I told my husband I wasn't feeling well and took some meds and he was like "Dumbass...you take take stuff with alcohol in it anymore".....Hmmmm.....I felt like I was friggin 12 years old again! I am curious to see what people have to say.
    AB Club Member
    AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Cough Syrup

Dest, shame on your hub for calling you "dumbass". Kick him in his for me.

I don't know about cough syrup. Some of the old stuff used to have lots of AL in it. I remember when I was a child seeing a bottle of cough syrup next to the seat in my dad's van that he worked in...and he was a big drinker before I was born. Hmmm.

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Cough Syrup

Thanks LG...I'll be sure to kick him in his balls the next time he says that.....that's his "go to" word to make me feel like crap...as if I need any help with that...ugh...if only he knew! Hmmm....he's the dumbass....heehee
        I know that Nyquil and stuff like that have alcohol in it but I don't think it's enough to do anything. There are plenty of cold meds out there that specifically say that they are AF.
        Awww....LG...lets think positive about your dad and say that he did have a cold!
        AB Club Member
        AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Cough Syrup

Everyone's take is different. I recently had a guy in our AA meeting....that said he considered this an "allergy" and would not take anything with A in it period. He said for him that he found he would absoutley love a "marina sauce from Trader Joe's"....LOVE it to find out there was AL in it. Now did it bother him or send him out, NO, but he takes this shit seriously....that in no way would he touch it again. Personally, to me it seems a bit over the top. But, I am not 23 years sober like him. Personally, I think you are safe. You have a legit reason to take it and being careful. I just someday would like to get as scared of shit as he is.....

Comment

Cough Syrup

I personally don't find things like that triggering to me at all. Same thing with chocolates that have AL in it and such...I mean, why be afraid of it? I have heard that even some juices have traces of AL in them...

It's not like I am going to chug the bottle - nor would I - I am very wary of OTC anything or prescription anything in general...

If this doesn't go away by tomorrow evening I will be picking some cough syrup up. Dealing with this is too much. I can barely talk. I just got over a cold not even a month ago and don't want to go through this crap again and in the middle of the Summer no less!
            Summer colds suck.

And Dest - not very nice AT ALL of the hubs to call you a dumbass. I agree with LG.

I'm not Lil Wayne (lol!)...I'm not into syrup. I hate the taste of it and don't want to take it for just that reason...
            I just am curious why others find it so triggering...what their thought process is behind it.

Thanks all! Just a little discussion on this Monday night.

Comment

Cough Syrup

I agree Bri......it isn't a trigger for me at all....not even in the slightest!!!!! I don't even link the 2 together.....one is medicine to lessen the severity of a cold and one is hard core AL to get ya drunk....ha! I hope you feel better! Thanks for starting this discussion!
              AB Club Member
              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Cough Syrup

No problemo D, and thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Cough Syrup

Well, if thats the case then nobody here is actually AF. I heard a story on the news the other day that ALL soft drinks have trace amounts of AL.

And as much NA beer as Ive had, surely counts me out.

My opinion is that it doesnt count, "unless" your intention is to drink the bottle of mouthwash just for the AL. I dont drink my NA beers for the AL in them....I drink them because I like the taste.

The day I buy a keg of NA beer and drink the whole thing......my AF days go back to day one LOL
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Cough Syrup

Lol, thanks Nelz. I totally agree with you on that one!
                    Very well worded and it makes sense!

I dislike very much how there are some people out there that tell you that you "have" to stay away from anything that has AL in it...to the point where I got some ice cream one day and there was a rum/choco ice cream bin next to mine and some of that got onto my cone...I was like "Oh shit...does that mean....well...what??"

That's right. I didn't know what to think and if no one said anything to begin with to me like "you can't have ANYTHING with AL in it!!!" then it wouldn't have been triggering for me at the time...for a split second. Then I gave my head a shake and said "GET OVER IT!".

Sheesh. I thought we were trying to get out of the fear cycle!
                    So I won't let it bother me.

And no...definitely not going to be a 2-4 of nyquil. Lol.

Comment

Cough Syrup

Have you tried a glass of milk with honey, much cheaper and just as affective as cough meds.

Comment

Cough Syrup

I read something last winter about a study where honey was more effective than OTC cough syrups. Certainly worth trying.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Cough Syrup

mollyka;1345075 wrote: Hi Bris! I would agree unless you were chugging it to get a hit - it's prolly fine. I know for years even when I was determinedly sober I still cooked with wine etc.
                          I find nowadays tho - I just take --- nothing. When I was in the treatment centre they were very anti nonessential meds --- I stress - nonessential! and I sorta carried on that way since. If I've a headache I drink extra water, if I've a cough I make a honey and lemon drink - or as Paula says honey and milk, I like taking nothing - but it's not really a 'is there, isn't there' about alcohol in stuff - it's just one less route to worry about - meds. I cannot count the no. of peeps I've heard talking in AA bout problems with codeine in headache tabs - so --- I just don't - but I'm quite sure your cough syrup is grand - oh and you're doing great by the way!! x
                          totally agree with you there Molly, I eat food cooked in wine as long as I can't taste or smell it, I'm eating it for flavour not a kick. Ditto cough medicine (tho I don't get them a lot), mouthwash, headache pills..... if I was glugging cough syrup for the al I think I'd have a problem

Mind you someone once told me if I do all those things then I clearly don't have a problem with al... go figure?!? Just made me angry... the person was pissed at the time tho LOL
                          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Cough Syrup

Bris try an echinacea tea(analgesic), honey(raw retains the antibacterial properties) and lemon with a pinch of cayenne. Also gargling with raw apple cider vinegar in some warm water. All relieve a sore throat and kill the bacteria causing it.
                            Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Cough Syrup

Thanks for the tips RC!
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Working...
                              X