Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What current world event affects/upsets you most and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's kick off this more serious thread, as it's been on my mind for a while. I know many of us, myself included, get ourselves worked up about trivial things happening around us (i.e. the kind of things important people say on live television, etc). But frankly, what are the more serious issues which REALLY come to your mind, or should I say THE ONE issue which comes to your mind DAILY that bothers you. And if you were the Prime Minister or President were the first you'd take on and make it your aim to solve?

Over to you ...

(By the way, mine definitely is child-exploitation, which in this part of the world is so rampant. You cannot imagine the number of child laborers working the streets, the markets, in the sex industry (with paedophiles from overseas flocking in their thousands to exploit poor law structures here), and in homes.)
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Well daily is the "war" in Iraq- I have friends over there and am terribly worried about them- there are members here who have sons over there. A member lost the love of her life because of it. It needs to end. We've been there too long. :upset:

But I also know that the "war" is overshadowing what is going on in Darfur, the AIDS epidemic in Africa, and what is going on in your parts, Paddy, is never talked about in America. I got my best news from BBC World when I traveled to Europe. I try to catch it here when I can but it is only 30 minutes. In Europe we would watch for hours. Good topic Paddy! :goodjob:
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

yikes Paddy, you've opened a can of worms now!

I'd say the global movement celebrating a radical hateful verison of Islam (an othewise nice and peacefull religion). it frightens me as to how quickly and violently it has fomented and wonder what will quench their thirst. I spent some time in Israel a couple years ago on work and expected to witness alot of hatred to their neighbors, but was quite surprised with the enlightened citizenry there....they realize this is a complex puzzle indeed with no quick resolution.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Paddy,
        Lots of issues close to my heart, but sex trafficking is stomach turning at best. Unfortunately, the city I live in was named one of the top for it. I had no idea until I moved here and read that it has something to do with the connection of interstates that makes it a prime spot. I was sick to my stomach to learn that a 12 y/o girl was recently "imported" under the guise of a stable job, only to be forced to live with men in their thirties and raped repeatedly until she managed to escape. Right here in good ole' America. I have followed the subject and been horrified. I am totally on board with you that there are much more serious issues at hand. I've followed the Sudan issue as well. My daughter is applying for a program to go to Zimbabwe for the summer to help with the AIDS research team and just "get out of this world" that is so superficial at times.

Thanks for reminding us that life is not all about us.

Allie
        What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

global warming - i am sure this is controversial so have @ it- but i will not read it.

Comment

I forgot to mention animal rights and animal testing. And people that wear fur should be shot.

Comment

But all I really care about, is the Anna case.

Comment

Paddy,

The biggest thing that concerns me is the total lack of disregard for others that I see in humanity as a whole.

For me, this is the root of all the other problems.

But I remind myself to look at the good that I see all around, not the bad.

Mother Theresa said once that she'd never attend a march against war - but if there was a march for peace, she'd be in it.

Gem x
                Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

and ducky (posting at same time!)

the Anna Nicola case still fits in category of people demonstrating disregard for others!

But there must be SOME good that has come out of her sad story.

Gem x
                  Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Hidden Gem, that was absolutely brilliant, and I couldn't agree more.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Fantastic thread, Paddy.

Not ready to contibute yet ... but thanks for kicking it off.

Comment

Suffering, illness and death!!

They are always on my mind, as there are to many children, mothers, fathers, friends, and are fine fury folk suffering or dying in this world!

I especially feel bad when children are involved, and are fine fury folk!!!!
                        AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                        Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

sounds like a good reason to drink -

Comment

Well Paddy,
                            A can of worms indeed! It will be interesting to read the posts on this thread.
                            Cruelty.
                            Cruelty to animals.
                            Cruelty to children.
                            They suffer so much, and have no voice to cry out, no ability to defend or protect themselves.
                            Cruelty and degradation of the slave and sex trades.
                            That will do me for a start.
                            That's depressing enough to make a person take to the bottle.

"Mans' inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn"

Comment

Rags you took the words right out of my mouth!!
                              AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                              Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Working...
                              X