Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how successful do you find group therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How helpful have others found group therapy? I realise there are lots of different approaches.
    But I am sick of talking about my addiction and don't feel I am getting any new insight from talking about the impact of alcohol on my life. Do others just get to saturation point with the talk? Ultimately is it ourselves that can only stop the pull that alcohol has on our lives?

have you spoken to the group your in about how u feel? others in the group may feel the same
    I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
    Audrey Hepburn

Comment

treetops;1348242 wrote: How helpful have others found group therapy? I realise there are lots of different approaches.
      But I am sick of talking about my addiction and don't feel I am getting any new insight from talking about the impact of alcohol on my life. Do others just get to saturation point with the talk? Ultimately is it ourselves that can only stop the pull that alcohol has on our lives?
      I found it very helpful for a time. I went to OP-Rehab for almost 3 months, It then became redundant, boring, repetitive, etc. I went to three different groups, then after care. So, yes the saturation point did happen to me. However, there is a time of refection & processing even years later, where a change in perception occurred for myself.

Yes, to your second question, but for myself it was others who helped me realize this. Best wishes on your journey! You can do this!

Comment

I found group therapy great, therapy addresses the other problems in your life, as well as the drinking, because of course they are closely interrelated.By going into group therapy I was able to get support to not drink - people who think exactly like me, that common bond." But you are right treetops in the end its down to us as individuals and if this particular way isnt working try something else.The key is dont quit quitting.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thanks guys.
          I think I find group also weary because my own professional job in tertiary education involves masses of talking and getting others to come out of themselves - plus I have facilitated groups myself for decades. I did attend an AA meeting yesterday that was very humbling and it felt good to be with others who were recovering alcoholics.
          I tried not to analyse the AA steps too much and not worry too much about whether it would work for me. We shall see.

Comment

Working...
          X