AA - not working???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA - not working???

I am not new to sobriety and sadly have in the past stopped on that track. My goal is to stop drinking.
    My counsellor advised AA - suggested I go to 5 separate groups to get a feel of where I might feel comfortable.
    I have gone into these meetings with a very open mind and respect for members.
    But what i can not get my head around are the constant testimonies. People rave on and on about the past. Some seem to make it their life story. Their drinking i(and not drinking) is like a badge they carry. They repeat this every meeting. There does not seem to be a going forward.
    I know AA is one day at a time - but no-one really lives that way. We plan, prepare and make strategies. I run a household and a large tertiary department and I can not think one day at a time.

I want to go forward - advice please

AA - not working???

what do u think will help u with ur sobriety ? , do u think u could benefit from AA, or do u think another path may be more helpful?
    I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
    Audrey Hepburn

Comment

AA - not working???

Hi there, I have just attended my first meeting and I too am a little baffled by how it works as it seemed to me just people telling their stories and nothing else, is this how the meetings always go and if so is it purely the members taking turns speaking of their experiences? I can't see how that would be helpful except initially?
      Taking it ODAT

Comment

AA - not working???

Hi All
        Just a note that we do have MWO members that go to AA. In the monthly abstinence section there is a tread called weekly AA and the members talk about their AA experiences. They can help you with any questions you may have. They also have some good sober time.
        I am not an AA member but do use smart recovery along with MWO. They are an online site but also have face to face meetings. Not as many meetings as AA but another program that might be helpful

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

AA - not working???

I attended AA for a few years, it helped me greatly and I got sober. I also could not understand how people who had not drunk in years still talked in meetings about eir drinking days. One man had been sober for over 20 years and still went to meetings almost daily. I also found it difficult to understand the defects of character that they seem to think only alcoholics have. They do say take from AA what you need and ignore the rest, which I did initially. I was told regularly that I needed to get to more meetings, which, having work that entailed shifts and also a family, I found difficult. Iwas told I was not committed enough. I think AA is an amazing organisation that is a life saver for some people, but personally I could not give the time and commitment that it demanded. I also joined smart recovery, which has helped me a lot. I find the support on mwo is wonderful and second to none.

Comment

AA - not working???

I am not a supporter of AA, I have sat through many meetings and heard many drunk-a-logs, but they do have at least one thing right. You need to take daily action, if that means going to a meeting or doing a step or making a phone call, they are trying to keep your focus on getting sober.

I did not use AA to get sober because I don't believe in the message of being powerless over alcohol, but whatever you do to get and stay sober has to be focused on daily if you want to be successful. I used a workout program, a reading list, tons of daily research and many visits to these type of forums. It was no spiritual miracle that made me quit drinking, it was alot of hard work and focus that got me here.

Comment

AA - not working???

AA issue

I agree with Supercrew. I think that those of us with alcohol addiction are "expected" to go to AA. There seems to be a mindset that is you don't go to meetings you cannot possibly quit drinking, or be serious about quitting.
              AA is certainly no longer the only ame in town so to speak, and there are many who do not find it constructive to go to meetings and hear the same stories over and over.

All of us have these horror stories. I believe that we should not forget them, nor should we relive them constantly. I think it's possible to use the concept of taking it day by day and focusing on yourself and what you need to do.

I cannot take the religiosity either, but I am in no way demeaning AA. It is for some, and it is not the way to go for others.

To reiterate, I think there is an expectation-like you SHOULD go, at least for a while or you are considered nut serious about not drinking.

Just my $.02

Comment

AA - not working???

I've gotten sober without the help of AA. I have been to quite a few meetings in the past, but only because they were court ordered and mandatory. That's not a good motivation for going. I have no problem with the "higher power" approach, but as Supercrew mentioned, I don't like being told I'm "powerless". I can ask my HP for help, but I must work in accordance with my requests. That's called taking control of your own life and not just sitting back wishing it would happen on it's own.

I'm not knocking AA at ALL...I believe it's a great organization that has helped countless people get and stay sober. It's not for me though. I also don't like cauliflower...but many people do.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                X