Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it the Alcohol or Just My Crappy Character?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheSunFlower;1353998 wrote: I just heard someone speak about this.

As drunks, we do a pretty good imitation of crappy people. Getting sober we also do a good imitation of crappy people. But, if we were crappy people we would have no desire to get sober.

Personally, I have yet to meet a truly crappy person. Everyone has their backpack of crap that they are carrying....and to judge anyone regardless, of the action....IMO is wrong.

Sure, I meet people that I don't really care for....but, that does not make them a crappy person. And not everyone in this world is going to like me.
    Sunflower you have absolutely made my night my friend. I wish I could give you a big hug but a smily hug is all I have at the moment. :l

I slept terribly last night. Your wonderful words will make sleeping much easier tonight.
    :thanks:

:h
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Kradle....glad I could help you. I read the thread and was put off by many of the reponses. So I closed the computer and walked away. Something inside of me told me to go back and post.....maybe this higher power stuff I am in to these days....actually works. Have a great day!

Comment

TheSunFlower;1354224 wrote: I read the thread and was put off by many of the reponses.

Seems to me that everyone was simply trying to help.
        AF since 3/16/09
        NF since 3/20/07

Comment

TheSunFlower;1354224 wrote: Kradle....glad I could help you. I read the thread and was put off by many of the reponses. So I closed the computer and walked away. Something inside of me told me to go back and post.....maybe this higher power stuff I am in to these days....actually works. Have a great day!
          Yes, Sunflower:

Me as well.

But I made the mistake of making it "Personal" and given the complexity of my situation I opened up a big fat can of worms and then stood right underneath it!! :H

I started another thread Does AL Reveal Character or Create it?
          Very interesting posts.

Thanks again,
          :l

Comment

LibraryGirl;1353826 wrote: In my opinion, AL does not create a unique personality. It only brings out what was already inside of a person, which may have been kept under control, or hidden. This is a very touchy subject, and nearly impossible to answer, so of course we all are just sharing what we think.

I have seen some people drink too much and act completely different than they do sober. I have seen others who seemed more relaxed, and obviously tipsy, but no different, at least in a negative way. I guess the more you are dependent on AL and the more often you stay intoxicated, it becomes harder and harder to differentiate (what's me and what's AL?).

Maybe the best way to find out is to not drink. I don't believe AL creates a personality that remains, when sober.
            I have to agree with LG. I have a couple of friends I absolutely loathe being around when they are drunk, they change into people I don't really like. AL takes away all inhibitions, so that we act in a way without morals etc. I am not innocent either, I just talk shit, and lots of it.

Most of us do & say things that we would never do when sober, hence the anxiety that arises when we sober up.

Just my 2 cents worth
            Time to whip AL's Ass :b&d:
            :h ya
            Trix

Comment

Sober Visitor;1354227 wrote:

Seems to me that everyone was simply trying to help.
              True that, I have enjoyed reading the posts though
              Time to whip AL's Ass :b&d:
              :h ya
              Trix

Comment

Kradle,

See not everyone likes what I have to say....and I am ok with that. I didn't care for some of the responses....and everyone has the right to their opinion. I tend to stay off of hot topics that can rock the little serenity I have

Hugs!

Comment

Personally, (and I'm no expert) I think alcohol merely exaggerates a mood or feeling. I don't think it defines a person's character at all.

Besides, if you were a crappy person, you wouldn't be here sharing your story with the rest of us and trying to help others.
                  ITGeekChick

Comment

Please allow me to clarify

My husband has since apologized for our fight and does not think I am a crappy person AT THE CORE - the primary problem I had which wasn't well said in my original post.

But that was what was said in the heat of the moment and I started this thread on super high emotion.
                    The responses such as Library's 'AL does not create a unique personality....it just brings out what was already there and is probably best hidden...' looks an awful like a yes vote for my husband that I am a crappy person AT MY CORE...

Well, of course Library doesn't think that (I hope! :H) but the way I phrased the question in the context of the thread made it look like that...so THAT WAS MY FAULT. I did not clarify the view that if you act like an ass while drunk, than that is who and what you are - periods with or without AL .

I don't think any of us believe that.motherwise why would anyone stop drinking?
                    Not picking on you LG. Just that yours was a good example of my not explaining myself well.

The good news is my husband and I are really dialoging now and he is reading some of the posts.. (from the other thread... ) and so all of this has had a happy ending.

It does occur to me though that I never said what I thought AL did to character so I will post my own views over on the other thread: Does AL reveal character or create it.

Thanks everyone who posted. Your words and views got me and husband talking and moving in a good direction and that's ultimately what this place is all about :thanks:

Hugs,
                    :l

Comment

Working...
                    X