Good comebacks when referred to as the family drunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in a family situation due to a death in the family and my older sister always refers to me as the "family drunk" - I never know what to say.

It's so hurtful and it makes me feel terrible. She's already started and accused me of being drunk in one situation because I did something silly - and I hadn't even had a drink!!! She says it tongue in cheek, but I don't see the funny side.

Does anyone know what I could say to her to shut her up for good?
    Time to whip AL's Ass :b&d:
    :h ya
    Trix

Well, I dont know what you could "say" but I do know............if you dont drink anymore she cant say that.

Use that as your motivation to stop, picture in your mind her taking like that every time you feel the urge to drink, and then say na na na boo boo when you are successful with each challenge.......

Good luck
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I'm moderating, and doing well - but she still won't leave it alone.

Perhaps I should have posted in the moderating thread.
      Trix

Comment

Just tell her that your no longer the family drunk and its hurtful when she does that.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

"I might be the former family drunk, but you are the person who is not making it any easier."

or
          "I might be the FORMER family drunk, but you are the family blabbermouth that says hurtful things."
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I think you need to ask her when she might be free for you to discuss something important with her, then sit her down and let her know of your struggles, let her know of your plan and then ask her to respect your request for her not to refer to in those terms anymore as it is really hurtful. I am sure she usually makes the comment and then you rebut or in quick passing tell her to knock it off, but if you sat her down like that she would be very hard pressed to make those comments anymore without feeling like an awful person because there is no denying that it seriously affects you anymore.

Good luck, stay strong and I 100% agree with Nelz advice as well
            And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

Trixiebelle;1357029 wrote: I'm moderating, and doing well - but she still won't leave it alone.

Although her words may be hurtful, she may be trying to motivate you to make some changes in your life. It must be apparent to her that you are still having issues with alcohol. Moderation is great for normal drinkers who can easily moderate, but for people like me, if I tried to moderate, everyone would still know I have a problem with alcohol. I am not going to make a judgement on your predicament, but no one accuses me of being any kind of drunk anymore, and if they did it wouldn't hurt my feelings because it isn't true. I used to be the biggest lush/drunk addicted person in my family, and I couldn't control it as long as I thought I needed to drink to be happy.

Once you change your own perception of yourself you will start being able to change others perceptions of you. Until that time grin and bear it. Because all a pithy comeback will bring at this time is an argument and probably some example as to why she said it...which you won't be able to deny.

Comment

Me Id probably say at least I'm not the family bitch. But then I'm an only child I like liven's idea better, truly.

Comment

Thanks all, some good advice there. Love the 'bitch' one Hart :H

In all honesty, I think she does it because in some ways she feels she needs to knock me down.

I'm younger, I'm very different to her and she can be a bit of a bitch at times.

I think i need to change my own perception as Supercrew stated.

:thanks:
                  Trix

Comment

Trixiebelle;1357029 wrote: I'm moderating, and doing well - but she still won't leave it alone.

Ahhhhhh, well in that case, I might tell her to take a flying leap....but I can be kind of forward, and have very little tolerance for ignorance.

Now, good natured ribbing.......Im allllllllllllll over that, but this isnt the case here
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                    X