Famous people who quit drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the social stresses are bad enough for us "regular people" but what about famous folks? now THAT has got to be rough...but there's many of them. I'll go first:

David Letterman
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

I remember reading about that great actor Humphrey Bogart being asked by a friend if he had ever stopped drinking, Bogart said, " Yes, I did once."
    His friend asked him what it had been like, Bogart replied, " It was the most miserable afternoon of my entire life "

Then we have Winston Churchill...He was in the House of Commons one day when a woman walked up to him and said " Sir, you are drunk ", Winston said " Yes madam, and you are ugly ". The woman spluttered " That doesn't matter, you are still DRUNK "... Winston replied " Madam, it does matter, because in the morning I will be sober, but you will still be ugly "....
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Robbie Williams...

I know a lot of you won't ever have heard of him, cause he apparently hasn't ever been able to "make it" in America....

But his biography shows a sensitive and alcohol sort whose lot has been made worse by fame from the age of sixteen.

Nah, he's not a "poor me" type or anything - his story is quite compelling.

Gem
      Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

George W Bush

(think Robbie's back on it Gem - checked into regab a couple of weeks ago.)

K

Comment

Yeah Kate I heard that too... which makes his story even more compelling... he's "one of us"

In his biography, he talks about how he attended an AA meeting and they later found a tape recorder attached under his seat.

Alcohol dependence is hard enough without others trying to make a buck or two of it!

Comment

What did Britney Spears go in rehab for? was it alcahol or drugs or both?...The fact she shaved her head tells me she going in for a while, and taking it very seriously.
            I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
            One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

most of red hot chilli peppers gave up. marvellous - I always knew we'd have a lot in common....
              one day at a time

Comment

Daniella Westbrook who used to be in Eastenders. I think only the UK people will know who i mean? I have just read her auto-biography and that girl went to hell and back

Comment

Yeah Bella...

I am an Aussie these days (for seven years) but that poor chickie lost part of her nose!

Gem

Comment

Billy Connoly- and to celebrate him being a year sober his wife bought him a bottle of champagne!He doesnt drink at all now.

SophieS

Comment

Anthony Hopkins

Comment

Betty Ford - she has her own rehab center.
                        Gabby :flower:

Comment

James Hetfield - Metallica

Comment

Mel Gibson - for a while - haha
                            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

and Anne Robinson.
                              Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Working...
                              X