Hitting on 16...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting on 16...

I am a Blackjack player. I love the game. Luckily, I am not an addicted gambler. I have never spent money I could not have nor have I hurt myself gambling.

But.

I need to express something I have been thinking about lately. My approach to sobriety needs to be the same as my approach to Blackjack.

A "16" is the worst hand you can have if the dealer is showing a 10 or a face card.

You always assume the hidden dealer's card is a 10 or a facecard, i.e. dealer has a 20.

The goal in blackjack is to reach 21 without going over. A 20 hand is pretty darned good.

I have spent many nights at blackjack tables playing with others and they are "afraid" to hit (i.e. take another card) on a 16 on their hands if the dealer is showing a 10.

My attitude is, "don't go down without a fight." It has served me well in Blackjack. Many times. I am ahead versus behind. Much ahead.

Yes, many times I hit and I "bust," i.e. go over 21. But many times I hit and I am at 20 or so.

In the times I bust, I see that the dealer had a winning hand anyway. It did not hurt anything to hit. At least I had a fighting chance when I hit.

This may sound rambling but it isn't.

Don't go down without a fight. Hit on 16, your worst hand. No, don't drink, that is a "stay." Hit. Fight back.

I am looking at this in terms of my drinking, now. I simply will not go down without a fight and I am never "staying" again when I have a 16 and the dealer has a 10 showing. I am a fighter.

How about you?

Just a thought.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Hitting on 16...

I think the odds are stacked in favor of the house. From my vantage point, AL wins every time. And it takes all. Nope, I've fought my last battle with AL...it wins, plain and simple. I don't have a drinking problem because I don't drink anymore. B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hitting on 16...

So, Brydlady, you are "hitting on 16."

i.e. Not letting the house win.

Good for you!!

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hitting on 16...

It's a good thing I don't play cards!!! Thank you for not calling me a boob!! I should delete that response! Your gentle reply appreciated!
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hitting on 16...

good thoughts Cinders...hope you are well sweetie
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hitting on 16...

Well, one way to look at Byrd's response is that she no longer sits down at the blackjack table - doesn't even give alcohol a thought. I'm still sitting at the table - I don't really want to be, but since I'm here, I'm definitely hitting on 16 too. No backing down.
            AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Hitting on 16...

My thought is that I am at that table, no matter what.

So, I might as well hit on 16.

In retrospect, perhaps a silly analogy.

If you are sitting at the table, though, hit on 16. Don't give up, don't drink. Hit and know it is the best thing to do. Don't go down without a fight.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hitting on 16...

Hey Pixie...I am at the table right there with you. I think about AL just about every hour of every day...I hope there will be a day that I don't give it a thought...but not there yet, by any stretch. B
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hitting on 16...

At some point, most winners in this alcohol game figure out that they really don't want to drink. That's when they don't sit down at the table. To get there, you probably need to spend a good amount of time not drinking but still wanting to, which is like sitting at the table. These days, I mostly don't sit down at the table, don't want to drink. But there are also those occasional other days, I find myself back at the table. This analogy makes a lot of sense to me.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hitting on 16...

How have you been doing Cindi? I've been thinking about you.

Comment

Hitting on 16...

Thank you for asking, FlyAway.

I am doing fine.

I have been very busy with a hubby who had surgery. Nothing serious but it did seem (and still does) bother him a lot.

It is good to see MWO still perking along. :-)

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hitting on 16...

Hi Cindi, good to see you again.
                        Love and Peace,
                        Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                        X