Army Thread Tuesday 7th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JackieClaire;1361199 wrote: Too blooming right I would.

Mind you that was 22C in the shade. Don't know what it would have been in the sun.
    38 in the shade here, too. Damn near fried when I took Freddo for his walk at 2:30 p.m. Tried to stay in the shade as much as possible but the little brat kept pulling me over to the sunny side of the street.
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

It's just wonderful, Stirls, it really is.

Something good is happening in this country for what seems like the first time in a long time.

It might only be a fortnight but it's taken our minds of banks, the government, floods and general pissed offness.

ooh I've gone all teary.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Oh and absolutely thrilled for Jenz. Her bezzie mate is coming back from Oz middle of Sept as well.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Feck, Stirly - you really are frying.

That's fantastic news, JC!
          I'll do whatever it takes
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Picked a fine time to give up drinking, but they do a good lunch.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

JackieClaire;1361203 wrote: It's just wonderful, Stirls, it really is.

Something good is happening in this country for what seems like the first time in a long time.

It might only be a fortnight but it's taken our minds of banks, the government, floods and general pissed offness.

ooh I've gone all teary.
              It was the same here when we hosted the Olympics in 2004. A lot of money was spent on training the athletes and we won the most medals we have ever won. The whole atmosphere was electrifying and I, for one, was very happy to be living in Athens during the Olympics. I went to the games on my birthday - the tickets were a present from older son - and it was just amazing to be there among the people from all over the world who had come to Athens to celebrate the Olympic Games. It's amazing to see people from various countries cheer for athletes from other countries just because of the achievement they made by winning their race or event. It was like a huge sporting celebration. You wanted your country to win a medal but it really didn't make much difference in the end, it was watching the finest athletes in the world competing right in front of your eyes that was the magical part. I got all teary myself on more than one occasion.

Comment

JackieClaire;1361206 wrote: Picked a fine time to give up drinking, but they do a good lunch.
                :H:H:H
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

stirly-girly;1361207 wrote: It was the same here when we hosted the Olympics in 2004. A lot of money was spent on training the athletes and we won the most medals we have ever won. The whole atmosphere was electrifying and I, for one, was very happy to be living in Athens during the Olympics. I went to the games on my birthday - the tickets were a present from older son - and it was just amazing to be there among the people from all over the world who had come to Athens to celebrate the Olympic Games. It's amazing to see people from various countries cheer for athletes from other countries just because of the achievement they made by winning their race or event. It was like a huge sporting celebration. You wanted your country to win a medal but it really didn't make much difference in the end, it was watching the finest athletes in the world competing right in front of your eyes that was the magical part. I got all teary myself on more than one occasion.
                  It must've been quite something. Even with the World Cup Soccer in Cape Town, the vibe was incredible. The Olympics is that x10.
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

I was going to ask about the World Cup.

I honestly thought because it was in London that we'd feel a bit left out up her in the frozen North (all of 300 miles away) but it's not been like that at all.

Having the torch relay made us feel like every single one of us has been involved.

I think I may just have fainted with delight if I'd seen an actual event.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1361205 wrote: Feck, Stirly - you really are frying.

That's fantastic news, JC!Yep, we are. Got up to 43C here a few years ago. It was tortuously hot. That's the only way I can describe it. And the main fuse in our electricity box blew out because of the heat. No A/C, no fan, no fridge, no nothing. Luckily they sent a crew to fix it within an hour.

Glad you came back to see us. Thought it was just JC and I nattering to each other.:H
                      JackieClaire;1361206 wrote: Picked a fine time to give up drinking, but they do a good lunch.

tiptronic_ct;1361209 wrote:
                      It must've been quite something. Even with the World Cup Soccer in Cape Town, the vibe was incredible. The Olympics is that x10.
                      The WCS is great, Tips. I really enjoy watching it. Soccer at it's best. Well at least the Olympics don't have those fecking vuvuzelas. Dawg, I still remember how annoying the sound was. Made me want to stuff my ears with something to shut out the sound. Loved watching the matches but that continuing sound was rooly, rooly irksome.

Comment

stirly-girly;1361216 wrote: [COLOR=DarkOrchid]
                        She's going to deputy manager in a bar. Free drinks is what I meant, by picking a fine time to give up drinking.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

JackieClaire;1361212 wrote: I was going to ask about the World Cup.

I honestly thought because it was in London that we'd feel a bit left out up her in the frozen North (all of 300 miles away) but it's not been like that at all.

Having the torch relay made us feel like every single one of us has been involved.

I think I may just have fainted with delight if I'd seen an actual event.
                          Truthfully, I was just overcome by emotions being there and seeing those fantastic athletes up close. I'd been to the Olympic Stadium many times in the past to see soccer games but I hadn't seen the stadium with it's new covering that was designed by Santiago Calatrava. It was built on the grounds of the Olympic Stadium and then rolled slowly to it's position and then bolted in place.

It was just fecking amazing. As was the "Wall of Nations"...

Comment

JackieClaire;1361218 wrote: She's going to deputy manager in a bar. Free drinks is what I meant, by picking a fine time to give up drinking.
                            So she's going to be an AF deputy bar manager? Good for her. Well done to nip it in the bud. Not good working long hours late night to early morning and having AL for company. :goodjob: Jenny!!

Comment

stirly-girly;1361225 wrote: So she's going to be an AF deputy bar manager? Good for her. Well done to nip it in the bud. Not good working long hours late night to early morning and having AL for company. :goodjob: Jenny!!
                              Noooooooooooo I meant I picked a fine time to give up drinking. Oh dear we're getting crossed wires.

Although she never drinks when she's on duty.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

LMAO :H:H:H:H:H:H
                                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X