X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First step

Hi Tony,
    Welcome here!
    I found the people here very helpful.I am almost sure they won't feel bother but greatly provide support.
    Hang on here with your ups and down.
    Good luck!
    Dix
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

First step

TonyHancock;1364864 wrote: I am delighted and humbled to read everybody's comments. It certainly makes me feel that I have done the right thing by posting.

A big worry of mine is that I don't feel I can go out anymore as nobody I know decides to go to Cost Coffee or Starbucks when they think of a night out. I have been invited to go out tonight with a friend and we are going to the local rooftop bar. In my mind I will have two or three beers and then go home BUT, knowing me, it will no doubt be 10 beers and I will wake up feeling so BAD about this.

What do I do????????
      Hi Tony,

If you have failed several attempts before,I suggest to avoid this.You could simply say I am not well today or have to be busy with
      Works or any you feel comfortable.There are so many threads here for techniques how to keep the relationship stronger and avoid events.
      You could search here or ask ,someone will give you the link.
      Keep you standstill.
      Dix
      A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

First step

Well, thank you to you all. You are such amazing people; I really didn't expect any replies. I am so happy that I have had so many. This is the first time in my life I feel I can be open and honest.

Well, I did go. Weak, I know. I had three beers and then we went for a meal and I had two g lasses of white wine. In the past I would have drunk before going and been several ahead. I made sure that i only ordered another drink when she wanted one. We even went for a soft drink and a chat after in a cafe. I live in Cairo so we had shisha etc but no more alcohol. I would also have drunk when I got home, no doubt until the early hours. Having some water now. Small steps, I know.

I feel good for this, although I should have been stronger.

This may seems lot but it is a real step in the right direction for me. I will now be alcohol free now for as long as possible. I will try harder, promise.

Once again I really am so happy that people have made an effort to chat. I am very proud that people, whose threads I have read over the last few months, have made contact.

For the first time in my adult life I don't feel so lonely and I know that I will get stronger. It is strange that, even though I have a loving partner and friends, I can stIll feel so very lonely.

Thanks x

Comment

First step

Tony -

You are never alone. We have all been where you are. Don't feel bad about yourself for those drinks, try to think what you learned from it. How did you feel while you were drinking? I know that for me, drinking stopped being fun a LONG time ago! All I can "see" when I envision drinking is the horrible way it always turned out...hangovers, vomiting, anxiety, regret over actions, self-loating...etc. One of my (many) sayings is "Drinking for me isn't rainbows and butterflies, it's handcuffs and DUI's". Sad, kinda funny, but TRUE! The more honest you can be about it, the easier all this will get. Hang in there.

Stick close to us and let us know how you're doing.

K9
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

First step

K9 thank you so much.

Tonight I feel fine as I didn't drink to excess ( well not for me anyway ) and I felt comfortable; as though I was social drinking. I remember everything, got home in one piece and know that I will feel fine tomorrow. I know that I can't always do this so will have to make excuses in the future as I want to be as free as possible.

Your kindness means the world to me. Honestly.

Comment

First step

Hi Tony,

Welcome! You are amongst some of MWO greats let me tell you!! Nelz is a GOD, K9 is just SO spesh, Dixon is SUCH a honey. This list of wonderful people and advice is never ending. Stick close, the combination of what happens here at MWO will give you a new perspective on drinking - or NOT! The botton line is, it is your choice.

You did amazingly well to manage your outing as well as you did! I would never have done so well, so early in my journey to being AF. Nelz may even give you one of his gold stars for that effort!

You'll figure out what works for you and how to go about achieving what you heart desires. I can't moderate even though I gave it a pretty good try, but you may be able to tame the beast so you are in control. I think a lot of people get freaked out at the thought of never, ever having a drink again. I'm glad I never will, but that is me.

This is your journey Tony, and we are all here to help each other through - whatever that is.

Glad you are here and I wish you all the strength and peace in your goal/s.

Nicey
              It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
              Mother Theresa

Comment

First step

Welcome Tony. :welcome:

Wishing you every success on your journey.

Best wishes, G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

First step

I know that joining this forum will really help. I sense so much warmth from people and for that I thank you. I agree that the thought of not drinking is terrifying and tonight was hard but I spent all day reading people's threads to stop me going out early for a couple of pints, something I would normally have done.

I believe I have been given a second chance and almost threw I away; I certainly don't deserve a third. With the support from you great people I know I can make the best of this chance I have been given.

I can't go back to how I was: a selfish, hedonistic, childish, cheating, hurtful, embarrassing drunk.

Thanks and sorry for boring - sorry, being British means I seem to be hard wired into saying sorry. Sorry!

Comment

First step

Don't know if you've read our 'toolbox' mate.

Excellent reading. Here's the link.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

First step

Thanks ... Just started reading it and will do my best to follow what I think will work for me. Thank you so much for your support.

Comment

First step

Tony - glad that you had a good night. I think that is great that you were able to change your habit. You didn't get any alcohol before. You didn't get any after. Those are big steps. :goodjob:
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

First step

Oh, Nicey, you are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooo kind...........LOL But your compliment is much appreciated

Ill be happy to crank out a Nelzstar after what I consider a one of the first milestones to sobriety......making it 24 hours without AL.

Then another at 7, 30, and so onnnnnnn and onnnnn
                          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

First step

Tony,
                            We are all rooting for you...come on, get that special Nelzstar! 24 hours is certainly do-able, and we're here to help! Keep up your great work!!
                            K9
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

First step

Thanks folks. Today has been alcohol free and so will tomorrow. Trying to keep occupied with a book, TV and making sure I don't go out. I would only pop downtown for a swift half!

The fact that you are rooting for me has really helped. Thanks for using your valuable time to keep a cyber eye out for me.

Cheers!

Comment

First step

I understand that there are only so many people you can support. Wish I could have been part of it

Comment

Working...
                                X