Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nursie Update

Hi everyone,
    I haven't been on in awhile. My brother's death has consumed a lot of my time. You never really know how much there is to do until you're the one who has to take care of it I guess.

I've come to tell you the results of my brother's autopsy. I would like to think the enormity of what drugs and alcohol did to him will help someone stay sober. He was a 30 year old beautiful man with big tattoos and a hearty laugh. His hobby was his christmas tree farm where he mowed and we had bon fires every week. His real job was working as a "sand hog" in the NYC tunnels. He was an avid dog lover and rescued dogs in their last hours from the kill shelters and paid the expenses to find them homes. He was a biker and he already had a bad motorcycle accident 2 years ago that nearly took his life. He was drunk and broke 30 bones , required numerous surgeries and was in the ICU for 6 weeks. I was there every day. It was a two hour drive. He was amazing.

He died in a horrific accident on June 13th. He had just found out he was having a baby and got back together with his girlfriend. He bought her a beautiful orchid and he left for work (overnights). The police came to my other brother's house and he was identified by his many tattoos and his drivers license.

He had apparently been driving too fast, hit several cars before losing control and hitting the cement abutment under an overpass. He was ejected and pronounced dead at the scene, covered with a yellow tarp. I drove 2 hours to see him, to learn anything I could and the medical examiner would not let me see the body. I was devastated. We couldn't have the funeral until 3 weeks later because it was still under investigation He was directly cremated from the medical examiner's office.

I received the autopsy and toxicology reports yesterday. I would like to share them with you.
    Injuries:
    extensive fractures of face and scull
    lacerations of brain and brainstem
    subarachnoid hemorrhage
    transection of thoracic spine and spinal cord
    bilateral rib fractures (all ribs crushed and collapsed lungs)
    fractures of sternum and left clavicle
    contusions and lacerations of both lungs
    lacerations of heart and great vessels
    transections x3 of aorta
    lacerations of liver and spleen
    lacerations of mesenteric adipose and intestine
    transection of both renal arteries and left renal vein
    laceration of bladder
    laceration of pancreas
    missing pituitary, adrenal and parathyroid glands due to injuries
    anterior and right sided pelvic fractures
    dislocation of left shoulder
    open fractures go both thighs, left ankle and tibia,
    numerous abrasions, lacerations and contusions of skin
    cardiomegaly (enlarged heart due to alcoholism and prescription drug use)
    Intoxication by the combined effects of alcohol and oxycontin

His blood alcohol was .29
    His oxycontin level was 1500

He didn't learn from his DWI, or his horrible motorcycle accident. He just didn't stop. I am still in touch with Joani Gammel the interventionist that wrote the book. She is helping me make a plan and perhaps sue the pain doc, idk.

My main point is this: I talked about my brother constantly, I knew he was going to die. But it takes my breath away that is really happened. I will never be the same, I am changed forever. But I have God on my side keeping me sober most of the time and walking with me through this journey of grief.

Please look at my story and see that our habits are literally killing us. We don't get unlimited chances. I am forever changed and will never be the same.

Thanks for reading my nightmare.
    I am blessed to have your support. I have more of a reason than I have ever had to be sober and I pray to God I can maintain it. I have slipped since he died but I am on the right track. I hope you are too.
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Nursie Update

Dear Nursie,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine your grief, and would so like to offer you comfort, but I don't think there are words enough.....and even if there were enough words, I don't know they would give you any solace. The only thing I can say is I am so glad you are sober most of the time, and you have probably helped people here, more than you know. Please lean on us and we will do the best we can to see you through such infinite pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you.:l

Comment

Nursie Update

Nursie,
      I am so very, very sorry. I agree with Rusty - there are just no words. I know that you have had a very hard time and even though you knew where this was headed, the shock & grief of it all is still there.
      Please stay close so can try to help you. My thoughts & prayers are with you too. :l
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nursie Update

Thanks for posting your update Nursie
        I also am very sorry for your loss.
        take care
        Patrice

Comment

Nursie Update

Thinking of you and your family Nursie.

Good to see you back here. :l

G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Nursie Update

Nursie; what can I say......just so sorry for all that you are going through.....
            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Nursie Update

Thinking of you Nursie, don't forget to look after yourself in this awful tragedy x.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Nursie Update

I am so very sorry.

Comment

Nursie Update

So sorry for the loss of your Brother, thankyou for posting xxxxx
                  :dancin: enguin:
                  starting over

Comment

Nursie Update

thank you for posting this in the hope that it may help someone else
                    I am so sorry your loss
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Nursie Update

Thanks everyone. It hurts so ba to see all of his injuries and how badly he was hurt.
                      Day 1 again 11/5/19
                      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Nursie Update

it is merciful that he did not suffer
                        I am so sorry Nursie
                        I thought about this as I came into work this morning
                        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Nursie Update

Nursie,

Thank you so much for sharing what happened to your brother. I have a lump in my throat and a pain in my heart now. I am so very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. He had to be wonderful rescuing the dogs. I will think of him the next time I want to pick up a drink and will make a better choice in his memory.

Comment

Nursie Update

Oh Nursie, saying I'm sorry doesn't even begin to cover what I'm feeling.

Thank you for sharing his story. He was a good man. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

:l:l:l
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Nursie Update

prayers for you and yours Nursie!!!
                              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
                              X