mild depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mild depression

This is courtesy of John McManamy a health journalist and a man living with bipolar:

Depression symptoms. There is a silent killer amongst us. With little fanfare it ruins lives and even ends them. At any given time, some three percent of the population is under its spell. The experts call it dysthymia. We know it as mild to moderate chronic depression.

If we think of major depression as a spectacular brain crash, milder depression can be compared to a form of mind-wearing water torture. Day in and day out it grinds us down, robbing us of our will to succeed in life, to interact with others, and to enjoy the things that others take for granted. The gloom that is generated in our tortured brains spills outward into the space that surrounds us and warns away all those who might otherwise be our friends and associates and loved ones. All too frequently we find ourselves alone, shunned by the world around us and lacking the strength to make Our presence felt.

The symptoms are similar to major depression, with feelings of despair and hopelessness, and low self-esteem, often accompanied by chronic fatigue. This can go on for years, day in, day out.

Still, we are able to function, a sort of death-in-life existence that gets us out into the world and to work and the duties of staying alive then back to our homes and the blessed relief of flopping into our unmade beds.

All too often, we are told to snap out of it. That the invisible water torture we carry in our heads is our own fault. And shamed into thinking something is wrong with our attitudes, we fail to seek help. Or, if we do, it's our family physician who confuses a very real chemical imbalance in the brain with some imaginary defect in our personality. And so we are sent away with a stupid happy pill such as a tranquilizer (whose depressive effect only adds to our quiet misery).

Some of us turn to the bottle or illegal drugs. Others seek a more permanent solution. Yes, even milder forms of depression can be lethal (experts estimate anywhere from 3 to 12 percent of people with dysthymia cure themselves by suicide).

And, sooner or later, it happens, the brain crash. Major depression. That's how most of us wind up, according to the experts, sometimes with a double depression, a depression on top of a depression that never had to be. One that could have been stopped years before.

And that, perhaps, is the saddest news of all: None of this ever had to happen.

Individuals with dysthymia may respond well to two types of cognitive therapy and other talking therapies, without resorting to medications. A review article appearing in the Jan 6, 2010 JAMA indicates that antidepressants are not likely to work for milder depressions - and this is the new conventional wisdom now in circulation - but the book is by no means closed on the issue.

Ironically, the herb St John's Wort - which had received a bad rap from psychiatry for only being good against milder depressions (an unproven assertion) - may be the pill tailor-made for this condition. But again, the evidence is hardly unambiguous.

As I sit here writing this, the term mild to moderate depression mocks me. I won't even begin to estimate how many years I've lost to a disorder predicated by the modifiers mild to moderate. The least they could have done was assign the name of a Shakespeare character - Hamlet's disease, Lear's disease, anything, really. Just so long as it doesn't imply I was cut down in the prime of my youth by some invisible stupid nerf bat pounding against the inside of my brain.

For the rest of you: You can end it right now. You don't have to endure the mental water torture any longer.

And for friends and loved ones: Let them know - they can end it right now. The mental water torture can be a thing of the past. Starting today those you care for can win their lives back.
    "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

mild depression

Moral of the story don't put up with mild depression cause there are treatments - not necessarily drugs - that can help you. Putting up with it can lead to major depression - just cause its called mild - I agree with John it's an idiotic label - does not mean its not horrible. I posted this cause I have seen mild depression referred to one too many times as dismissible or easily "thought through" on your own. See a doctor or a good psychiatrist or psychologist.

Comment

mild depression

For more of John's fabulous work go to Mood Articles and Videos

Comment

mild depression

Cashy,
        Wonderful information here!
        I am also facing such a problem since 10 years but ended up with the combination of binge drinking and AD that really made more depressed.When I started something suicidal,I have decided to give up AL,and it took almost two years to be in this 102 days AF.These has happened after losing almost all and breaking up with my family too.Anyway I have got a new life now.I am gratitude.
        Dix
        A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

mild depression

There is a natural product, Amoryn, which contains St John's Wort, is pretty good for anxiety and depression. I had been taking Paxil for a few months, and realized that my anxiety had come with drinking. But wanted to have something to use just in case the anxiety came back, and a memner of this forum suggested the Amoryn. I feel really good--no anxiety or depression.
          "One day at a time."

Comment

mild depression

I just got my first bottle of Amoryn today; when I got home from work it was in the mail box. I plan to start taking it tomorrow. I know that I suffer from depression. Sometimes it's worse than other (times), but I am tired of ignoring the symptoms and just suffering through.

Quitting AL was not enough for me to alleviate depression, and although exercise probably helps a lot, if you can't get motivated to do anything beyond what you "have" to do, that just seems like a fairy tale, lol. I hope to report a much improved outlook in the near future.

"I like people too much or not at all."
            Sylvia Plath

Comment

mild depression

GREAT stuff Cashy!!!
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

mild depression

I'm self-diagnosing but I'm pretty sure I have dysthymia (mild chronic depression), and have had it for years if not decades. I think one of the reasons I drank was to relieve it - it gave me an immediate high, whereas being AF leaves everything just flat, all the time.

Similar to LG, I'm frustrated that my efforts with regards to AL have left me more depressed than when I was drinking. Certainly no low lows like I experienced after overdoing the AL, but no highs either. Just flat, and not enjoying the AF life.

I'm going to try St. John's Wort - I tried it years ago but I have no idea whether I took an adequate dose, or gave it enough chance (and I was not AF). Maybe this time around it will make a difference.
                AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

mild depression

LibraryGirl;1366821 wrote: I just got my first bottle of Amoryn today; when I got home from work it was in the mail box. I plan to start taking it tomorrow. I know that I suffer from depression. Sometimes it's worse than other (times), but I am tired of ignoring the symptoms and just suffering through.

Quitting AL was not enough for me to alleviate depression, and although exercise probably helps a lot, if you can't get motivated to do anything beyond what you "have" to do, that just seems like a fairy tale, lol. I hope to report a much improved outlook in the near future.
                  Hi LG:

Please us posted on your progress with the Amoryn. I'm really curious to learn about its effects as I'm in the same depressed boat

Hugs,
                  :l
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

mild depression

Kradle123;1366849 wrote: Hi LG:

Please us posted on your progress with the Amoryn. I'm really curious to learn about its effects as I'm in the same depressed boat

Hugs,
                    :l
                    LG, I agree with Kradle .May we you could start a Amoryn thread somewhere in the forum ??
                    Just an idea ...it depends how do you think yourself.
                    Dix

Comment

mild depression

Not just a pill or a tonic...

Can I just reiterate that the purpose of this article is to say that treatment needs to be holistic and include tools such as cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness training. If you don't make a concerted effort to re-wire the way you think you will not get better - no pill or supplement will provide an instant cure for depression, be it an antidepressant or something else. ( and I can find thousands of references to back this up in academe)
                      I think it would be remiss of me not to point this out as it also relates to giving up alcohol - you can stop drinking but if you don't put the hard yards in to change the way your brain reacts to triggers you will be constantly looking for the next miracle cure while you keep on obsessing over alcohol.

Comment

mild depression

That's a good idea, Dix. I will do that starting this evening or in the morning. I have to give Lav the credit for motivating me to start taking Amoryn. She swears by it. I will take one in the morning, and one tomorrow afternoon, as the instructions dictate...We'll see how it goes.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

mild depression

Cross post Cashy. I see what you're saying, and I understand it. I do not, however, see myself sitting on a psychiatrist's couch. For one thing, I don't have the nerve or the inclination, and for another, I don't have the money, nor will my insurance cover it. I am going to try this natural supplement, and at the same time try and start doing a little exercise...If you have suggestions that are not clinical in nature, please offer them.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

mild depression

LibraryGirl;1366864 wrote: That's a good idea, Dix. I will do that starting this evening or in the morning. I have to give Lav the credit for motivating me to start taking Amoryn. She swears by it. I will take one in the morning, and one tomorrow afternoon, as the instructions dictate...We'll see how it goes.

Don't know but it might take a couple of days or weeks to be active in our nerve system. So please bear this in mind and do not decide to give them up so quickly.If you feel drowsy, fatigue it could be lack of sufficient blood flow and oxygen in your mind so you could try Ginkgo Bilbao which I found greatly helpful for specially blood circulation.
                            Wish you all the best...
                            Dix

Comment

mild depression

You not need a shrink to do this - there are so many books on cognitive behavioral therapy etc. There is a fantastic resource at the Australian National University which is a simple but effective way to start and costs nothing: MoodGYM: Welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X