Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academics out there?

Hi All,

I'm not being exclusive, but I'm just wondering how many other academics there are on the forum. I know of two other than myself. I certainly do know any number of (ahem) "drinkers" among my colleagues, although to be fair I also have been very aware in some situations that I was the one automatically ordering the carafe of wine at lunch.

Anyone else?

Dancer

Academics out there?

Well, lol, I am a university librarian if that counts.

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Academics out there?

Yup - it counts. I noticed you were posting about being an Assistant Professor. Sounds like the 'academy' to me....

You are speedy, however! I just posted this and then went down to the mods board to invite you here.Now you've already answered.

Comment

Academics out there?

i could be classed as an academic, i got all distinctions on my access to University course and I study Bsc honors in psychology and counselling and I volunteer as a person centred counsellour
        I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
        Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Academics out there?

Thanks LPC - you've made me think about what I mean by an academic. Do I mean an intellectual, a scholar, or someone who works in post-secondary education, or... I guess I'm happy with self-identifying!

I'm also not sure that this will take off as a thread. Maybe we don't have anything to share with each other that we don't already share on another thread.

Something I just got from the "research" forum (good place for an academic to be looking, eh? ) is from a thread about inattentive ADD. I saw myself, certainly as a kid but then realized that I'm supposed to be working on my book, and I'm off dabbling in MWO! Yet, I have a PhD, am seemingly immensely self-motivated, organized, and pay attention to detail. But I'm seriously addicted to daydreaming, can't "hear" people because I don't focus, and never really excelled until I was in my 30s. And.... I have this alcohol problem that is often connected to ADD.....

Enough - I must go do the Shred workout.

Thanks both LG and LPC for responding.

Comment

Academics out there?

DG, is that ADD or procrastination, lol? If it's ADD, then I definitely have it. I will happily choose something mindless over what I "need" to be doing any day. I hate deadlines and say I don't like the pressure, but almost always find myself waiting until the last minute to get movtivated.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Academics out there?

Im an ecotoxicologist specializing in heavy metals, sulphur oxides toxic response in terrestrial and recently in aquatic ecosystems. I am not really an academic, although I do publish in peer reviewed journals, and I am a science advisor to government and industry. I have been doing this for 33 years. So yeah. The difference for me is that I always knew precisely how bad overconsumption and addiction to alcohol was for me. No different from anyone else here, in that regard. Thank goodness I finally grabbed a brain! Lol!
              Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Academics out there?

Interesting Kaslo!! A real scientist.

So how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?:bigwink:

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Academics out there?

Hi,

I was a part time lecturer five years back with my business as full time !!
                  So familiar with academic words ,I have to many friends working yet ,but many of them are not in contact due to my crisis..
                  Dix
                  A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Academics out there?

Hi Dixon and Kaslo,

I've been AWOL just now because I'm at a conference.

Actually it was at a couple of conferences a few years ago that I had some fairy clear illustrations that I should get a handle on drinking as I was visibly "under the influence" at one concert and at one party. However, this one is at a place where the bar doesn't open until 8:30! My difficult time is late afternoon / dinner, and here we have dinner in a cafeteria with no AL.

So happily - no booze tonight, no feeling of desparate need, and no argument with myself.

Good night!
                    Dancer

Comment

Academics out there?

I don't know if I'm an academic, probably not, but I've thought about it as a career choice. But I'm a market researcher. I started out in pure market research and was recruited into the consumer products world and now I work for large consumer product corporations. In the last two years, I've joined the consulting world. So I guess I'm no longer an academic but sometimes I feel like a librarian because I wish I had the skills of one as I often need to research something real fast! The corporate world moves very quickly and is demanding, impatient but can be incredibly rewarding. The upside, when other parts of life seem bad its so nice to cling to the "but I'm so good at my job" mantra which I have done. Especially when I am fully engaged twelve hours a day with my job and they get the best of me. I often give talks for large groups about groundbreaking findings in my field, which of course are stressful and have contributed to me spending many days preparing for these talks and worrying about the outcome.

At any rate, don't know if I'm qualified to join you, but wanted to add my (non qualified) perspective.

Comment

Academics out there?

Hi Raven,

Please be welcome. I'm not even sure myself what I had in mind when I started this thread - perhaps just curiousity about what people do. But let's go with self-idenitfy and expand from there. No "qualificiations" at all and sorry it sounded that way.

What you do sounds stimulating and interesting. I too give talks for large groups, although they tend to be undergraduate students and when I'm talking about my ground-breaking research (which surprisingly does exist) it's usually to a small group of colleagues. I'm overstimulated right now from doing that and am hoping I can sleep....

good night.

Comment

Academics out there?

I taught at the college level for several years, enjoyed working in that environment.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Academics out there?

Hello, I'd like to wander into this thread, not because I'm an academic per se, but just that i enjoy academia - or, to be more precise, having conversations about matters i enjoy with those who know more about it than i do! My job - based in arts centre that is based on a university campus - does at times collaborate with academic staff at the uni on research projects.

I have an honours degree, but have continued to study - i am a very P/T student at uni doing my second degree in Philosophy. And i do this not because i am particularly academic, but simply because i enjoy learning about certain ideas (I would enjoy it more if i didn't have to hold down two jobs also, but wont complain as i make these choices!).

Comment

Academics out there?

LibraryGirl;1368809 wrote: Interesting Kaslo!! A real scientist.

So how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?:bigwink:
                              Like that one LibraryGirl;

Fuzzwuzzy was a bear
                              But Fuzzywuzzy has no hair
                              So Fuzzywuzzy wasn't fuzzy
                              Was he?!!

Don't know about academic, but I'm happy at this level for now......haha
                              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
                              X