Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academics out there?

Hi DG-

My sisters and I used to joke that between all four of us, we had more degrees than a thermometer. :egad:

The oldest is a lawyer and drinks easily a bottle of wine a night and left husband number three a couple of years ago. Don't know what she does now- no one talked to her since dad's funeral.

Second oldest is a PHd in Child psychololy, divorced with two grown kids and can diagnose anyone, anyway, any day...she only drinks Expensive wine not like some of her friends who have real AL problems.

The third one is also a lawyer and talking to her is like being on acid...not that I've ever been on acid but I imagine it would be something similar. Again with the wine but she is still happily married with two adorable kids. Her famous line, casually tossed to me one afternoon, lunching at beachside restaurant in Florida was, " The *******'s (insert our last name) could have really gone far if they weren't such a load of f**ing drunks..." I think she ordered another Pinot after that. She did say it with a smile though and no malice...I think.

And then there's me- relatively unaccomplished with my puny Masters degree....but I've only had one marriage and I am here....

So if you are thinking there may be a connection between highly or over educated people, I would say yes in my case but I think it was our intellect and education that hindered our solving our life's stresses in a healthy way. We all had emotional problems from the get go but I think our oversized brains (ha ha) and oversized egos just blinded us to very simple truths about ourselves...and then well, when AL was thrown into the mix, I think we were all just goners.

As awful as this sounds there gas a great deal of truth to what my sister said that day. Not that it stopped any of us from carrying on....

Great topic! Thanks for thinking of it

:l
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Academics out there?

Hey Kradle,
      I have just a puny little Masters also. Was proud I graduated with honors (4.0) but not that it really means anything...no one will ever ask what the GPA was, was just good to get it. I'm one of the older folks here so as my friends are close to retiring, I headed back to school to keep my mind busy! Got it in counseling, have a Bachelors in nursing.
      :l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Academics out there?

I count if spending 8 years in school qualifies:

BA in English with Honors

BS in Mechanical/Nuclear Engineering with a slightly below average GPA (What can I say, it KICKED my ass)

Comment

Academics out there?

I spent 5 years of my life at uni and ended up a pisshead

none of us are immune :H

Comment

Academics out there?

Hi Eve!
            Glad to hear you finished that second degree. I hope you are doing well.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Academics out there?

Could I be classed as an academic?Studied at the university of life...now retired and passed with honours, though had to resit a few individual years after major cock ups in them
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Academics out there?

Mick;1388387 wrote: Could I be classed as an academic?Studied at the university of life...now retired and passed with honours, though had to resit a few individual years after major cock ups in them
                You can't retire from life Mick, you silly old scot in blighty!!!! :H

Major cock up, are you showing off again?!

Errrrmmmm I am a vet. Requires academic study but after it ...are you an academic.?

I don't teach but want to do a course on ethics and would like to teach that within the veterinary profession.

Comment

Academics out there?

i got a bachelor of science in the army years ago. flying choppers now showin tourists round. cool job but would like to go back to some study. maybe school teacher.
                  'fucked if i'm bowling in these conditions'. (bill lawry)

Comment

Academics out there?

KY...nah..not showing off just got short legs !!
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Academics out there?

Wow - I haven't signed in for a while (I just use the drink tracker... sometimes), but want to thank everyone for their posts. I guess I wondered about how many of us there are working in the academic world (whether as grad students, profs, librarians, researchers) and trying to control our alcohol problems ( or not... maybe). College/ university students are famous for drinking - the plastic cups and empty kegs are strewn through our student housing areas after weekends like St. Patricks - but it is much more undercover at the prof level. Yet, I know I have colleagues who really go at it! I also think there is a certain type of stress in trying to balance teaching, research, and admin, which coupled with the ever-present threat of rejection through the blind peer review process can lead to difficulties and also (I'm very guilty of this!) function as an excuse to grab the bottle when coming in the door.

Anyway, thanks for continuing the thread and sorry for being AWOL.

Dancer

Comment

Academics out there?

gidday. am doing phd in geology at present but thinkin id rather be a school teacher. will see. thanks.

warnie
                        'fucked if i'm bowling in these conditions'. (bill lawry)

Comment

Working...
                        X