**So how do you explain: Im not drinking anymore?**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you all said is so true....the ones that seem really interested in the fact you are not drinking are the ones who most likely have a problem!!! Case in point: while I was drinking, if a friend was not, I would always comment on it - not to pressure them or anything - simply because I was in awe of the fact that they could go to a party, dinner, whatever, and NOT drink!! I was truly impressed and always told them so. Now that I am not drinking, I can see how that might have made them feel uncomfortable and for that I feel bad. But I was deeply impressed with these non-drinking party goers....I hope to be one of them from now on!!!!
    I just won't anymore

Comment

Nelz;1369794 wrote: Found this on FB, thought it fitting
      :H

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

When I started out I think this was my biggest hurtle. I hate to admit that I was so scared what people were going to think, but I was. I was seriously so insecure about my not drinking. I would just say:

no thanks
        I'm good
        I'm not drinking
        I don't drink anymore
        I don't want to drink tonight

Whatever it took to get through the evening basically. If people asked questions I might go into ...

I use to drink too much
        I'm tired of getting drunk
        It doesn't work for me anymore...

The people who really bugged me I just don't hang out with at all anymore.
        I've gotten to the stage now where I don't feel like I need to explain my not drinking to anyone. Sometimes... people are just curious though... and that doesn't bother me... I don't mind talking about a sober life style at all. It's one of my favorite topics.

Right now I'm heavily pregnant and it has been the easiest and best reason for not drinking. No one bothers me now.. ha ha.

Comment

I think the next time someone asks me why I'm not drinking, I'm going to use the "I'm pregnant" excuse... I'm a guy, so it'll be interesting to see the response... :H

Comment

I use my recovering alcoholic Dad's line.

I am one week AF thanks to this remarkable approach to good health. All of my friends are drinkers, so I have chosen to pre-empt the question with my Dad's line that he used when he quit drinking at 50. "Being highly competetive, by nature, I chose to drink a lifetime's worth of alcohol in half a lifetime. Moving on...." It's hard to argue with humor.

Comment

Working...
            X