Alcohol and families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and families

One of the hardest parts of getting sober, for me anyway, has been dealing with my family. They all drink, except 1 uncle who quit....but he's a bit of a 'dry-drunk'.

Anyway, I'm a bit over a year sober and last night my brother and I hung out for the first time 'like we used to' at his house, hanging in the living room with the dog and talking about how messed up the word is. Neither of us drank and we talked for a few hours. Normally we'd probably have had 3-4 beers in that time and smoked weed if it was around.

Was a good experience. That was one of the relationships I was worried would have to change dramatically when I quit. I guess it did for a while....I've been rather unsocial for the past year, but seems it's back to 'normal' just without the booze. And I got to drive myself home afterward, didn't have to spend the night in the guest room on the bed the dog sleeps on.

Guess I'm learning it takes a while to reorganize my family relationships (friendships too), but it is possible to stay sober and not 'lose' all your relationships with friends/family.
    Soberity Date - 7/11/11

Alcohol and families

the hardest part can be facing up to all youve done to them and said to them, no wonder some people cant face being sober, all the shit theyve done in life, but its allways worth facing it and growing from it

thanks for your post :thanks:

Comment

Working...
    X