Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We will find any number of excuses to drink.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You gotta hate an addicted brain! Here's a list of some of my excuses for which when I would argue and start a fight with my husband he would later vehemently tell me, you create reasons so you have an excuse to drink. I would get so angry at him for that statement and say you just don't understand. Well, he understood more than I did at the time.

-Stressed
    -Sad
    -Bored
    -Feel unloved
    -Guilt
    -Emotionally unable to handle the moment
    -Reward for something I accomplished
    -My friend needed me
    -Need to have fun

I could go on, but I think the message is clear. I will drink for any old reason. Sure looks like excuses to me from where I stand now.

Knock that part your brain on its head and turn the tables on it.
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Great post! How about, "I've been so busy, I need a drink to give myself a rest". Makes no sense, one excuse is as bad as another.

Note to myself: JUST DON'T DRINK! There is NO reason to drink.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

REASONS/EXCUSES

Oh I agree Molly. I always loved occasions where drinking was the thing to do.
      Unfortunately MOST people would drink socially and leave at a decent hour while I would be looking for MORE alcohol.

After my last breakdown (if I may call it that) I have realized some important things, just by thinking seriously and rooting out the messages I give myself. Goofy negative stuff that has no basis in reality.

I really am using the technique of thinking it through, all the way through to the horrible end before picking up a drink. There is no excuse, and no reason, after admitting to yourself that it has to stop.

SO thankful for all you guys!

Comment

A vacation, a tough day at work, gardening, any social occasion where someone else is driking, a bath, a family gathering, a weekend are all excuses I have used.

The list of times I wouldn't drink would be a lot shorter. That would be if I needed to drive, was taking care of young grandchildren, or was at work. That's about it.
        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
        -----------------------------------
        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Hi

Any excuse and over the last 6 months.. no excuse needed, I gave myself permission daily to drink..If my 7 yr old had his Moshi Monsters game too loud on the computer.. I would dive for a wine.. insane.

Molly, your post did make me laugh!! That was me at beer garden.. and on the couch later.

Hiya Ann !!!

Take care all
          Patrice

Comment

Slay

I think you are well on your way to long term sobriety. It IS all about changing your AL brain, back into your normal brain.

Also changing old habits/triggers.
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

One excuse is I worked so hard this week and I deserve to drink.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Nelz;1373178 wrote: Slay

I think you are well on your way to long term sobriety. It IS all about changing your AL brain, back into your normal brain.

Also changing old habits/triggers.
                I am working on that aspect much more this time around. It reminds me a bit like the game 'bullshite'. Everytime my brain tries to pull a fast one, I immediately call bs and disregard the thought. I don't let it take root and grow. That enemy isn't getting the time of day from me right now. I don't allow myself the choice. There simply is no choice...a new mindset. I direct a bit of anger toward it as an enemy that's here to destroy me. Kind of like being a daredevil...lol.

Determined and resolute in my goal.
                Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

One of my plans to stop drinking was always Tomorrow, Never today always Tomorrow but Tomorrow never comes, ever.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

mario;1373305 wrote: One of my plans to stop drinking was always Tomorrow, Never today always Tomorrow but Tomorrow never comes, ever.
                    So true. It's the same with any goal on that level, eh? Sounds like what people looking to diet and exercise say a lot. That procrastination monster. Control the mind or it will rule you is so true.

Day 13. I'm on my way and no excuses!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X