Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread Tuesday 4 September

Good morning Army
    What's all this about someone pulling the plug?? (I've just had a quick peek on last night's thread)

Good morning, Army

I don't know anything about any plug-pulling... Lemme go see.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Mornin. T'was me. Was a thread I was reading all about self moderating on this site etc. Prolly nothing just wanted to get emails just in case.

Comment

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Forum Moderator
        Not sure where you got your information Ne, but this site has NOT been sold to a for profit company. Please refer to RJ's last post which I willl post below. The moderators do the best they can but, yes, this has evolved into being a more self governing site. The moderators work other FT jobs, have families, and all of the same busyness in their lives like all of you do so cannot be here to monitor every single post. We sincerely appreciate being kept abreast of unacceptable posters or spam and do our very best to get rid of them or resolve the situation, because we simply cannot read every single post every day.

As others pointed out this site, for the most part, is free (unless you are a Subscriber). There are considerable costs that come with running a website and as you will read below RJ has toyed with the idea of shutting it down but she knows how large this community has become, and how helpful it has been to who knows how many people and she wants to keep it running, even if it is not run by full time moderators. Please respect that. Here is her last post.

Dear Hidden,

I'm glad to know you've found this site helpful. Its mission to help those who suffer with alcohol addiction remains intact and will never change.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the cost of maintenance and upkeep of a site like this is not insignificant. I continue to serve as overall administrator (I have contracted daily maintenance to others), but I simply do not have time to support it in its current state with the limited revenue it generates. That was never its purpose--to make money. I was eager, and able, to throw abundant energy into MWO when I first launched this site, but it took a ton of time, energy and investment. I am proud of my work and I care deeply for the visitors here, but I have moved on. New life, new marriage, new career. I'm doing really well and I am committed to the mission of MWO, but I can no longer participate in the forum at the same level.

I understand the site needs updating, but frankly at this point, my choice is to take it down or leave it as is. I simply don't have time to oversee an overhaul of the website, forum and blog. For that reason, I've chosen to host the site in its current state, for now anyway, because I think it still provides helpful information and support to those who visit.

And many do visit--thousands each week. Except for a small number of Subscribers, to whom I am *extremely* grateful, those visitors are non-paying registered members or guests who all benefit from the site at no charge.

Over the past couple of years I've been encouraged to use social networking in my outreach. I am considering a Twitter page, which should be easier to update more regularly. I often find fascinating articles in addiction research or web resources I'd love to share with you, and Twitter may be another avenue for that.

As I read this thread, I must say that it is so heartwarming to read the posts from those of you who have benefited from this place. I smile when I see many of your user names because I feel as if I know you. Everyone here is such an important member in this network of support and I am continually grateful for the contributions each of you make.

My very best to all of you,

RJ

Comment

Now I'm off to see jim john Jazus I'm too old for this malarkey!
          Later gaters !

Comment

Thank you for the info Satz!
            Running around like a mad woman here! It's "back to school" morning!
            Bacinabit! After I get the little one to school.
            Morning Tips!

Comment

Morning folks.
              Personally I think we owe RJ a big debt of gratitude for her foresight in setting up MWO and for still continuing to run this site many years on. I imagine it costs a lot in terms of time and effort not to mention the financial aspect and I do fully understand and agree with everything she has stated in her post above. I think a lot of people would be lost if it went down overnight so long may she continue to do so.
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Morning Expat satz tipps ktab and all to come. Woke up to rain but forecast is for a good day later. Off to my counciling this morning and then AA at 1pm. I'm meeting a friend whos down from North for a few days in Temple bar this evening. She has a friend with her i never met but looking forward and i won't drink. Lucky Gloria is not a big drinker and its nice to get somewhere for an evening oher than AA. There is free trad sessions where we are meeting. i would be lost too without this site but i do understand the costs plus running the site timewise lets hope it stays. Just having coffee then shower. Have a lovely tuesday.:cupajoe:

Comment

Firefox;1373298 wrote: Morning Expat satz tipps ktab and all to come. Woke up to rain but forecast is for a good day later. Off to my counciling this morning and then AA at 1pm. I'm meeting a friend whos down from North for a few days in Temple bar this evening. She has a friend with her i never met but looking forward and i won't drink. Lucky Gloria is not a big drinker and its nice to get somewhere for an evening oher than AA. There is free trad sessions where we are meeting. i would be lost too without this site but i do understand the costs plus running the site timewise lets hope it stays. Just having coffee then shower. Have a lovely tuesday.:cupajoe:
                  Morning Foxy,Patty,Satz and Tabbers
                  I owe so much to this site and the community here.
                  Saw GP yesterday who seemed really concerned. Now off the drug Candersartin which probably caused my dizziness, fainting etc.
                  Bloods were not good so they are being repeated and having an ECG and back to see Dr next week!

Comment

Good morning Army

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

AS firefox has said bit rainy outside with a promise of a clear sunny day later, here is hoping.

Comment

Of out soon, hope ye all have a great sober happy day.

Comment

Good Morning Army!!

Just wanted to wish you all a very

It's a lovely, sunny day here, not too warm - about 23C at the moment, with a cool breeze. Just had some lovely honey dew melon for a wee snack. Yum.

Foxy, hope you enjoy your session and the meeting afterwards.

Mrs. A - I hope the doctor can get things straightened out as far as your medication goes. And let us know how the tests go.

To all of you....

Off to clean some okra and get the food going. Back in a while....
                          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

anon;1373301 wrote: Morning Foxy,Patty,Satz and Tabbers
                            I owe so much to this site and the community here.
                            Saw GP yesterday who seemed really concerned. Now off the drug Candersartin which probably caused my dizziness, fainting etc.
                            Bloods were not good so they are being repeated and having an ECG and back to see Dr next week!
                            :l Coach! Hope you get it all sorted out toot sweet.
                            Morning Foxy,KTAB, Mario, Stirly and everyone else to come.
                            Child safely dropped off at school. Now another cup of coffee and a bit of housework. No work today but I have loads to keep me busy. Daughter still in bed. Grrr... Her back to school isn't till tomorrow.
                            I'll be popping in throughout the day.
                            Back laters x

Comment

Good morning Expatty, Tipperoooo, Satzuma, KTabbers, Foxyloxy, Our Whizzy, Mariooo, Cirly Wirly Stirly Girly, Mollymoo.

Hope you've got your feet up on the sofa, Mrs A or I'll want to know why.

Molls you must be zorsted after the last couple of weeks, get your feet up too.

As for MWO it was my last chance saloon. Dread to think where I'd be today if I hadn't started posting instead of lurking.
                              It could be worse, I could be filing.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                              X