Army Thread Wednesday 5th September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pingu1997;1373939 wrote: When you live your childhood constantly under criticism and never feel you're good enough, it's little wonder as an adult you turn out to have no confidence....there's a reason my kids are brought up the way they are. I want them to be happy not clever. And if tigger turns out bright then that's a bonus. Playing in front of people is a huge thing for me. Sorry but it is.
    Amen x
    Yep, I totally agree with this.

Comment

Afternoon army!

Hope you're all well?

Back from a trip to Oxford with piglet. Been on my feet for a few hours so I'm knackered. And I ran 4.5 miles this morniing. Pics coming to a thread near you soon.

In other news, I finished with my counsellor on Monday after seeing him for a little more than a year. The last few sessions haven't been terribly productive and it was becoming difficult to justify ?30 a session.

Oh...and my Fitness, Football and Wellbeing course begins tomorrow evening at the Oxford United stadium.

Comment

:hallo:
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

orf to jim
          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Evening, Mr T. :hallo:

Comment

Molls...the gauze sticks and it hurts like a MOTHER to chnage it
              other than that
              Hi everyone, esp my on-line secret hubs
              I encourage and support my kids too
              My Mom was very critical and unloving and it still haunts me
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Oh P3, I know exactly what you mean, hun.:l
                Time for a group hug me thinks...............

:groupluv:

MB. I've been using Mepore dressings. You can get them in the States. Not very expensive at all.
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

off to goggle Mepore...never heard of that

Comment

mollyka;1374021 wrote: It's great you're starting the course - it sounds ideal - are you nervous about it - bearing in mind (get it --- 'bearing':H) your reclusivity?

Groaaaaannnn..........

Just kidding Molly-mou. Hiya Troopers!!! :wavin:

Hmmmm, childhood - my parents were loving families and gave us everything they could and more. We weren't well off financially but they did what they could on a budget, but not cheaply. And they were a very devoted couple who loved each other dearly til my Dad died. I couldn't have grown up in a better place than the small town I was raised in. Lovely place for families with children - so many places to play outside and so many things to do. In spite of that, I still carry luggage from my childhood, mostly perceptions that may have been wrong about whether or not my Dad approved of me, the idea that my sister was his favourite child which, when I told my Mom a couple of years ago, looked so shocked that I realized I must have been wrong. From a young girl I can remember doing things to please him because I thought I had to. I have no idea why. He loved all of us and since I was the oldest, he was stricter with me than my younger siblings. In afterthought, it probably had to do with the way he was raised and his fear that I would turn out like his sister who got pregnant and married at 16. And his mother was not the most warm-hearted mother or grandmother you could ask for. Kids were to be seen and not heard in her home. Luckily my other grandmother was a gem and us four and lots of times our 7 cousins would all be at her house together creating havoc. Literally. She took it all in stride tho' and even tho' she complained sometimes about the noise we made or the things we did (flooding her bathroom floor every time
                    we took a bath) she really loved having us visit and there was always a huge table full of good home cooked food and wonderful home-made pies. And trips to the only store in town that sold double-cone ice cream. There was no pressure from our parents on any of us as far as getting an education. We were encouraged to study so as not to fail a subject and flunk a year at school, but there was never the need to be a straight-A student, or go into some kind of profession. We were left to make our own decisions and make our own way, knowing that they would support anything we did as long is it wasn't dishonourable or caused someone else grief. I, in turn, never pressured my kids about a higher education. They were and are, both smart kids (men now) and both have managed so far to always be employed from the day they finished high school, even if it meant handing out flyers from door to door and both of them got into higher educational institutes (one college, one university) that are government run and have no tuition fees and all the textbooks are free. You get in by getting high enough marks on the entrance exams to get into the course of your choice. And I am very proud of the fact that neither of them get involved with drugs even tho' they have friends that did. As most of you know, being a parent is probably the most difficult thing in the world when you consider that our actions and attitudes play such an important part of how our kids turn out. And so many times we're faced with a problem and really don't know how the feck we should deal with it. So, if your kids have turned out even half as good as you had hoped they would, give yourself a big pat on the back. Okay, I'll shut up now, I just wanted to add my bit to the earlier posts.

Mama - but something like Betnovate cream on it and that should stop it sticking to the gauze. There are also bandaids or special gauzes available that have a special non-stick surface on them.

Reccie - congrats on the run and best of luck with that new course.

:hallo: to the rest of youz....
                    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

mama bear;1374004 wrote: Molls...the gauze sticks and it hurts like a MOTHER to chnage it
                      other than that
                      Hi everyone, esp my on-line secret hubs
                      I encourage and support my kids too
                      My Mom was very critical and unloving and it still haunts me
                      Hello mrs bear...sorry you're in pain. :l

mollyka;1374019 wrote: My Dad just wanted the best for us - but the best was just that - anything less than a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. was deemed unworthy. My sister was a nurse - she was a 'failed' doctor - he himself was a pharmacist - he also deemed himself a 'failed' doctor - my other sister became a doctor to please him - she wanted to be a journalist - and I took on a university course that I could never manage due to the high level of maths - just to please him - so BEST???? I don't think so
                      Same here molly. I took on my university course to please my father too. A bad mistake....I was too young and too naive to know any better. P3 has the absolutely the right approach with her children, IMHO.

mollyka;1374021 wrote:
                      Hiya Reccie and Tipps and anyone else who slunk in there :-) If you weren't getting anywhere with the counselling Recs I s'pose it's as well to call it a halt anyway - however - it is one less support for you? How are you doing these days anyhow? It's great you're starting the course - it sounds ideal - are you nervous about it - bearing in mind (get it --- 'bearing':H) your reclusivity?
                      The counselling process was productive until a few weeks ago, mollers. The last few weeks weren't so useful and that made me think the counselling had run its natural course. And yeah...I am nervous about tomorrow. There's only so much human contact I can take in a given period of time and I've had my fill of it today, so I reckon tomorrow is not going to be easy. (I hasten to add that I mean real as opposed to virtual human contact.)

Comment

thanks Stirly!!

Comment

Hello stirly!

Comment

Recluse;1374057 wrote:
                            The counselling process was productive until a few weeks ago, mollers. The last few weeks weren't so useful and that made me think the counselling had run its natural course. And yeah...I am nervous about tomorrow. There's only so much human contact I can take in a given period of time and I've had my fill of it today, so I reckon tomorrow is not going to be easy. (I hasten to add that I mean real as opposed to virtual human contact.)Considering your reclusivity, I think it is very brave of you to have signed up for this course. :goodjob: Just take it one day at a time and participate as much or as little as you like. If something makes you uncomfortable, just take a step back or go ahead a little slower.
                            mama bear;1374058 wrote: thanks Stirly!!
                            Hope you get some relief soon.
                            Recluse;1374061 wrote:
                            Hello stirly!
                            :hello2: Reccie!!!
                            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Hi Stirls
                              Not sure who else on - will read back!!

Comment

mama bear;1374045 wrote: off to goggle Mepore...never heard of that
                                They look like this.

Was on the phone off to have a wee read back.
                                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X