what's next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's next

i have been completely sober for 8 months. when does relapse most occur?

what's next

That is an amazing feat! Congratulations!
    I'm sorry I couldnt tell you when the relapses most occur, from what I have read it is any time. It seems like what you are doing is working quite well so keep it up! You go!

Comment

what's next

Abevel....keep your guard up! that is fantastic. Being healthy is the ultimate "good time" and indulgence....there are many filthy rich people that would love to have what you have.
      I'd be greedy and hang onto it
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

what's next

abevel - great work on your 8 months!! Just don't let your guard down... you never know if or when it will hit you (the cravings). Fantastic tho! I can't wait until I see 8 months!

Comment

what's next

Hi abevel:

Excellent hard work on your 8 months. Congratulations on that accomplishment.

Both myself, and a few others here seem to have crossed a threshold at the 9 months mark. I started calling it the 9 month crisis, and it seems to be point where we have to change a few things. I compared it with a psychological rebirth, and it does correspond with the 9 month human gestation period somehow in my mind.

I've gone over 14 months now, without a drop, and it seems as if I had to let go of some things that were part of my old drinking self, and begin new ways of being.

I'm still working on a lot of internal issues, and it seems as if those issues seem to make an appearance after a long period of sobriety. The main thing is to be aware of these things, and not let them fool us into believing that drinking again will provide a relief from them.

I don't think I will ever be at a point where I can let down my guard, and just fall back into thinking and patterns that drove my drinking psychology and physical cravings. I believe if we are ready to do the real work of mental, emotional, and spiritual growth and expansion, even if all seems OK otherwise, then the risk of relapse will become less and less over time. Unattended, I believe these deep issues will fester, and may cause relapse. Thats my take on it.

So that's been my experience. Good luck to you!!

Neil

Comment

what's next

What Neil has said makes perfect sense to me.. I am now in my sixth month of being AF and the daily cravings have gone, but, I am still working on several issues, mental, emotional and at the moment I am concentrating more on the spirtual path I have decided to take... By that I don't mean religion, but more seeing the world through different eyes, looking for the good in people, trying to help where I can and doing some meditation to reach the inner self..

I don't think there is a time limit on the DANGEROUS PERIOD when you might relapse, that fear should always be there, even if you keep it on the back burner of your mind, once you are addicted to alcohol it is a life long addiction, the difference between us and someone still drinking is we have learned how to control it...

Hope that helps,

Take care Louise xx
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Working...
            X