• Show
Clear All

Things to avoid when staying of the booze

madmans;1375180 wrote: HALT
    Hunger
    Anger
    Loneliness
    Tiredness
    If you haven't seen these before all these are triggers that will send us craving .

Hi Madmans and fellows,
    I agree with you but how do we make ourself self contents or feel being with all of the family ,friends,relatives living alone in a single room flat ?
    Any ideas fellows?
    For example, I have a platform MWO where I have so many like minded fellows like you and love to share , does it means you are not feeling loneliness ?.Do we need of any physical present of someone ?

How do you define it ?
    Just wondering to understand the term loneliness .
    Dix
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Oh,
      Has anyone got any information about how to avoid the following in a healthy way ?

Hunger
      Anger
      Loneliness
      Tiredness

Dix
      A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Dixon,

Hunger: EAT! Keep quick healthy snacks in the fridge. I like fruit and cheese.

Anger: STOP! Think why you are angry, its a second-hand emotion, so first calm down (try deep slow breathing when you are really incensed) and then assess why, then tell yourself you will give yourself at least 30 minutes to think of the best and most constructive response to what is pissing you off. Do NOT let a tape run over and over in your head about how angry you are, do something about it, and then LET IT GO!

Loneliness: Volunteer! Animal shelter, soup kitchen, driving an old person to a doctor's appointment. Ask at your church; I don't attend sermons, but I do volunteer.

Tiredness: SLEEP! Take a nap if you can, and try to eat a healthy diet and get exercise so you can sleep better during the night. Remind yourself drinking yourself to sleep means waking up feeling even more tired and like caca, so its a vicious circle. Also if you do NOT keep alcohol in the house, it makes this much easier to not fall prey to.

Comment

dixon;1375213 wrote: Oh,
          Has anyone got any information about how to avoid the following in a healthy way ?

Hunger
          Anger
          Loneliness
          Tiredness

Dix
          Hey Dix, how's it going today? I think this platform is an excellent way to deal with loneliness also. If you are not ready for Laga's suggestion of volunteering(which I think is excellent, but for me in early recovery I am too fatigued to do this yet).

I think that is why we are always telling people to post often, it helps us feel connected whereas our drinking made us disconnect.

Comment

Hi Dixon,

In HALT, loneliness is perhaps the hardest one for me to recognize and deal with.

In recovery, AA meetings can help, but sometimes it takes a lot of "shopping" to find a congenial group. Sometimes, for me, writing letters to people I love can make me feel as though I have had a nice long visit with them...and sometimes, it makes me MORE conscious of how much I miss them!

And, sometimes re-reading a book which I have loved feels like a visit with a good friend... FF
            . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
            X