Why majority of females here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a emotional question here to share about .

For example ,
    Are they more aware than the male community ?
    Or
    Are they more prone to the addiction ?
    Or
    Simply , it is because of a domestic abuse they get from their partners ?

any other sharing ....please ????
    Dix
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

That's a really great question, Dixon. I've read research articles that say women often seek non-traditional treatment because of lack of child care, limited financial resources, not having access to employer-paid treatment programs, stigma and fear. I've also read that women, more often than men, tend to drink in isolation to hide their drinking and seek treatment where they can also remain anonymous. That definitely rings true for me.
    AF since 3/16/09
    NF since 3/20/07

Comment

I think it's because a lot of men are not apt to want to participate in a site like this, admit they have a problem, or share their difficulties dealing with it. That's my male point of view, for what it's worth.
      Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
      When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Same for me Sober Visitor. Dixon, not sure what you mean about the domestic abuse? But I do think women tend to want to discuss things more in writing, whereas men prefer face to face.

My husband has attended meetings. I get to stay home with the kids, because I feel I have to, and he has to go to meetings.
        I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Ditto, especially child care issues...Tried AA, they say come early, leave late, cant do all that with kids and homework and meals, household duties, also work full time ... Most Moms do their drinking at home, i know i do, AA people say " what do you mean you cant find time for meetings? you found time to drink!"

Comment

I think women are more likely to seek anonymous help, and probably alcoholism is seen as less acceptable in women and more of a problem, than it is in men. I know members of my family who are more likely to look down on my drink problem than they are my brothers. I'm a drunk and should be ashamed, he is just letting off steam. !

Comment

Whitemarsh... so glad to find someone who understands! Yes, I don't go to bars like my "daddy" did. I draink (hopefully "drank") at home while getting through the evening.
              I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Hi Dix. Great post I am really looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. I have also noticed that there are a lot more women than men here and many of them have children.

Perhaps single, young people accept heavy drinking as part of life so they don’t assume that there is a problem until they have children? I have read that men are much more likely to self medicate to deal with stress. Also because men are less likely to share their feelings they often suffer alone. The stereotypical stiff upper lip...

AK
                AF since 1st Sep 2012
                NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

I think women are more likely to seek out help.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                  Sylvia Plath

Comment

I agree with all of the above...
                    LG = yes I think women are more likely to seek help because they realise they have to seek help..

For women like myself, a single mum with a 7 year old... working full time,preparing food,all the household stuff + homework, reading + drinking heaps = it's just not humanely possible to do all those things in a 16 hour period. something has to give and clearly it's the booze....and I for one am happy to reach out for help.. this website gives me just that!! Thanks all!!

Pat

Comment

Here's an interesting article on the topic that talks about the differences between men and women as well as barriers to treatment.

Alcohol and Women

This excerpt under "barriers" really jumped out at me.
                      Women represent 25.4 percent of alcoholism clients in traditional treatment centers in the United States (42). Although it appears that they comprise a small proportion of the treatment population (25 percent women compared with 75 percent men), the proportion of female alcoholics to male alcoholics in treatment is similar to the proportion of all female alcoholics to male alcoholics (30 percent women to 70 percent men).

It makes me wonder how many of us fall under the radar because we never come out of hiding. In other words, is the ratio of 30:70 that great between alcoholic women and men or is it that more women stay in hiding and never wind up being counted.

I can only speak for myself, but I went to great lengths to keep my drinking problem hidden from the world because of the stigma that society places on alcoholics. What appealed to me most about MWO is that I could protect my anonymity and prviacy which in turn made me feel safer to share more openly which in turn helped me to recover. I'm not sure I would have been able to be as successful in another kind of environment, such as a rehab or AA. I would have felt too exposed and inhibited to share, but maybe a more outgoing person without inhibitions like mine would have succeeded.

I also wonder what the cultural differences are in other countries.
                      AF since 3/16/09
                      NF since 3/20/07

Comment

I agree with with all the preceding, domestic pressures, social stigma.

I believe also the fact that women are more verbal and have 32000 - 37000 words per day to use up whilst, men, apparently, only have 9000 plays a big part as well.

I expect there are far more males on here just reading than actually posting, for that very reason.

It would be interesting,if they are out there, if they were to put there post in here( just the once) and give us the 'heads up', so to speak.

KY, the nosy

Comment

From what I understand, females are more likely to become alcoholics then males.
                          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks everyone here for your sharing. I think it is a really big concern in the society.
                            Myself being an offender , I would like to know a little bit about it from the voice of the real people who are addicted to some sorts of substance misuse.

In my opinion there are two major provoking issues within this cause.

1. Women are more vulnerable than men by birth for example : to make a child ,both are actively involved but women get pregnant,
                            - So they should stay sober for the sake of child at least 9 months.So struggles to stay AF begins here.
                            After birth: still they have to fight with their addiction for healthy breast feeding. Need to remain aware with kids injury ,care or say to look after them until they grow well so they should try to find out the anonymous to share with.

2. Social stigma : As men are directly not associated with the life of any children therefore they do not care much about their addiction.
                            Once the family breakdown lead off : like divorce, separation etc.. women normally can't go away alone from their children so have less opportunity to get remarried.Men are always free to do so.In another words who do like to be married with a mother of kids while there are other singles available in the community.Men may leave the country and can move towards other places and settle down with another family.
                            Therefore women won't get any one to vent out their problems and come up here .
                            Of course there are financial and other issues, but I believe they are largely affiliated with their physical helplessness which they get by birth.This adds more pains and get involved in addiction.

Lets go on with some more debates how do other people come up with.
                            Dix

Comment

kuya;1381262 wrote:
                              I believe also the fact that women are mI agree with with all the preceding, domestic pressures, social stigma.
                              ore verbal and have 32000 - 37000 words per day to use up whilst, men, apparently, only have 9000 plays a big part as well.

I expect there are far more males on here just reading than actually posting, for that very reason.

It would be interesting,if they are out there, if they were to put there post in here( just the once) and give us the 'heads up', so to speak.

KY, the nosy
                              It touches my heart.I have got so many answers from your post that I were looking for .I feel very well noticed in a couple of words or lines!!
                              Thanks Kuya,
                              Dix

Comment

Working...
                              X