Why majority of females here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kuya;1381636 wrote: With you on that, Allan. In fact I would say men require more emotional support because they are not wired naturally to be emotional in a positive way and culturally what little they are born with is often 'beaten' out of them by society.

All these factors add together and account for the lower life expectancy for men.

In my experience, there is a lot of truth in this KY. Thanks for that observation.

allankay;1381638 wrote:
    Neither party should be given preferential treatment in any part of life. Men and women contribute equal amount to the society and should be given the same respect and the same amount of support, responsibility and accountability.
    Right on Allan.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Nelz;1381653 wrote: All this talk has me feeling more like a woman at this point..................LOL
      All this sobriety has me feeling like a man...... :H:H:H:H

Alcohol really does kill libido, doesn't it, horny as a rabbit ....... Makes note to get out soon

Comment

kuya;1381656 wrote: All this sobriety has me feeling like a man...... :H:H:H:H

Alcohol really does kill libido, doesn't it, horny as a rabbit ....... Makes note to get out soon
        :blush:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Guitarista;1381658 wrote: :blush:
          I seem to make you blush a lot Mr G, quite a skill considering your an Aussie :H:H:H:H

Comment

Every and each newbie ,I see women.
            Is this true and real? Or there is something behind it to be appeared as women?
            I am now more worried about female friend rather than myself.
            Dix
            A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

HI Dix, it does seem to be mostly women here. Is your friend that you're worried about drinking too much? Maybe you could tell her about this board? If she does have a drinking problem, please be careful Dixon that you don't take your focus off the wonderful work you are doing to keep yourself sober and turning your life around :l You seem like someone who really wants to help others, but please take care of yourself first ok?

Comment

Here in scotland, very few men ever admit to a drink problem, they're all "macho" men who dont do feelings!

ps, we have the highest rate of alcohol related deaths among men in europe

Comment

Here here, Scottishman. As a fellow Scot, to admit having a drink problem is tantamount to saying "i can't handle it. I'm weak, not strong. Not strong as men should be."

There's a guy at my work who is an alcoholic. A very heavy drinker, who often you see with his hands shaking badly during the day. He stands at the bar after work (I work in an arts venue with a bar) and proudly proclaims how he has never had a hangover... perhaps... YET, everyone knows he has a problem, but no one ever mentions it. They say things like "he's wired" meaning not that he's drunk, but that somehow he is always "on", and people that are always "on" often need a drink. Like WTF? Others too say that he works best when he has a had few in him. (He doesn't drink at work, mind, always waits til after his shift).

Perhaps because AL is so prevalent in our cultures, esp' Western and very notably perhaps in Scotland with its atrocious AL death rates, that people find it hard to tell others that they have a problem. Especially when they themselves like a harmless drink now and again.

You don't see too many social smokers telling heavy smokers to give up. Smoking's frowned upon, drinking is, actually, glorified.

Didn't mean to go on a wee rambly rant there. I think that morning cuppa jo has fired by brain waves!

Comment

allankay;1381351 wrote: Dear Scottishman, I know how you feel. However, I don?t believe that a person is much more interesting when he is drinking. He just thinks he is. Alcohol is not some magic potion that improves your personality, makes you more attractive, social, funny...as much as marketing companies want you to believe. I always thought that I am more fun tipsy, until people show me pictures or videos from the night before, boy oh boy how my perceptions changed fast.

AK
                    Ha ha... this is true! We are soo dumb drunk!
                    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Maybe because most of the women are home drinkers with a p.c. Men dont like to ask for help! But i notice there are more men in AA. I do know for one thing in the end you have to get outside help,(face to face) when the going gets tough.
                      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

nancy;1381651 wrote: I know it's not fair to generalize but some generalizations are real. I think that men tend to be more solutions-oriented and I don't necessarily see the value in the circling and emotional support women give each other -- listening for the sake of listening -- if it doesn't have a positive outcome.

Spot on Nancy !!!!!

Men Hate help ..its like pulling teeth. They do seek for sure but for a solution a conclusive answer. Some stick around for the chat. But most self help things dont provide a solution to them. My opinion doesnt bear well with history as all the thinkers/philosphers in this world beginning with Aristole are men, they didnt come up with any concrete solutionsbut loved a prolonged discourse. Females like exploring endless ways of looking at the same problem. Round and Round and Round..Men tend to shy away from that environment in my opinion.
                        only
                        And I know I have just contradicted me self:H:H:H

Comment

catch22;1382622 wrote: Maybe because most of the women are home drinkers with a p.c. Men dont like to ask for help! But i notice there are more men in AA. I do know for one thing in the end you have to get outside help,(face to face) when the going gets tough.
                          I agree, there are more men in the AA and women here . Its quite simple women don't want to be expose themselves either in drinking matters or for recovery stage !!
                          Its could simply because be of social Stigma ,time factor that they have to spend more time for kids and family.
                          Dix

Comment

drinkingal;1382156 wrote: HI Dix, it does seem to be mostly women here. Is your friend that you're worried about drinking too much? Maybe you could tell her about this board? If she does have a drinking problem, please be careful Dixon that you don't take your focus off the wonderful work you are doing to keep yourself sober and turning your life around :l You seem like someone who really wants to help others, but please take care of yourself first ok?
                            Drinkinggal,
                            I respect your worry at me and assure you not to do so !!
                            I am literally OK with my AF plan.
                            Just wanted to know about women's problem so that I could help them in future if I see anyone.To be honest I do not have any lady friend at the moment.
                            take care !
                            Dix

Comment

Working...
                            X