Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am sober. But now I am BORING. That’s B.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I had a significant amount of AF period, I put a thought into my head that people who don?t drink are boring. So when I stopped I found myself trying hard to prove that it wasn?t the case. I am sure you have all heard the following comment ?have a drink, don?t be boring? when you are out with friends or family. Now let us think about it for a minute. Does alcohol enhance your personality? Does it make you a better conversationalist? Make you funnier? I know that this is what marketing companies would like you to believe but this is complete non-sense. Alcohol makes you lose some or sometimes all of your self control, which is there for a reason. Once you lose your censoring ability you become that guy/girl that everybody talks about the following day and you got to apologize for. The person that told his boss ?**** ***?, the person who made out with someone they would never even consider sober (sorry oneredshoe for using your story, but I have been there too), the person who revealed a dirty secret about a close friend and lost him/her forever. And just to remind you that all those night that you thought you were funny or a life of a party, I bet that it was all in your foggy memory. Most of the times I thought I connected with people or was a great conversationalist while drunk, I was deeply mistaken. And on some occasions was proven wrong with photographic or video evidence.

So next time you think of being interesting when out with friends or family, just be yourself. Alcohol does not create a better version of you; it is you nothing added and nothing taken away. But I can guarantee that the new sober you will be more confident, calmer, more stable and together person, and therefore a much better company than the old drunk you.

AK
    AF since 1st Sep 2012
    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Boy, you right on the money with this one. Someone was posting the other day that they worried that now they are always the one leaving early from a drink fest or party....well, I've found the reason we leave early is that these folks that are getting so wasted and amusing to themselves are really not saying anything fun or interesting any more. I used to think I was missing all the fun and was the last one to leave....not the case any more...Once people get on that third round, all bets are off. Let them talk about me after I leave, I bet no one remembers it anyway. I don't miss staying out late drinking...at all. B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

It really should be said this way " Have a drink and be boring" Drunks or even people who had a few are in general so frigging boring, only when you get sober you realise this.
      Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

I am odd in that I am not a social drinker and therefore have always gone to parties and often been the only sober person there.

It is interesting to watch the change in people as they drink because ultimately the loud just get louder and the quiet just get quieter. I usually stick around past the point when I am bored because the maternal side of me likes to keep people safe. I can't begin to tell you the number of people I have stopped drink driving and arguing.

I also believe the old Irish saying ...."what goes in sober, comes out drunk". Many times I have gotten to know the honest truth about people when they are pissed and I am sober. They have forgotten by the next day .......... I HAVEN'T !

I am already dis inhibited enough when sober, as I have now lived and learned enough to not care if some people don't like me or what I say (as some of you have already found out....sorry Allan :H) but actually get more serious and morose when drunk.

Comment

Working...
        X