Tylenol as a sleep aid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

Hi Everyone on MWO. Im Kaslo, usually a resident of the monthly threads. I am entering my second Fall, and feeling great. For my entire life, even as a child I had problems with insomnia. I took everything you can imagine for it. AL made it worse of course, and when I quit it didnt go away, but it did improve.

A few months ago, I read a short story in the New Yorker about a guy whos dad was in his nineties, a nondrinker, and he swore that taking tylenol, regular strength just two before going to bed made it so he could actually sleep through, or if he woke up he could get back to sleep. I have been trying to do that, when I remember, lol!

It seems to actually work. (it doesnt if I am super stressed about something, but hey). I cant take imovane or Tylenol PM or melatonin derivatives, they seem to make me depressed. I am not on any other meds, I take MSM chondriton and glucosamine for arthritis, but that is IT. I dont even take antinflams any more. And I was dosing myself with everything under the sun for many years while I was drinking.

So my question is, has anyone else who still has sleep dep after going AF for a year or more tried just simple old Tylenol?

I would be very curious to know. Or if you want to try it and let me know. Or if you know your pharma and have an opinion, I would interested!

k
    Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

I have never tried it, but my dad (now 75) swears by it.

I am hooked on the Tylenol PM.

Watch you; it's bad for your liver! Especially those who are still drinking! (I see that you have almost two years though! Congrats!)
    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

Thanks Rainy. I know you are not supposed to exceed a certain dose with Tylenol during any given 24 hour period. Six reg strength tablets comes to miind. I cant take the Tylenol PM. I get horribly depressed the next day. Keep goin!
      Kaslo

Comment

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

Hi Kaslo - I am just getting to the point where I feel that I can safely take tylenol (or I guess I take Advil if needed)...I know they are different but ...due to being AF for awhile, I will occasionally take an advil - for a stiff neck or aches and pains that I might have - and I think it does help in that I sleep through the night or close to it - when I take it.

I don't know - I go back and forth on it....I hate taking things like that. And always avoided it thinking my internal organs were messed up enough already from drinking...:-) but then again, sleep is extremely important -

well, I guess I'm not offering too much useful to this thread, but I'll be watching to see if anyone else speaks up. :-)
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

Kas dearest...get thee to an acupuncturist. It works wonders for insomnia, naturally.

Love Bean xx

Comment

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

Bean! Well who knew? Thanks for the poke re acupuncture, ha ha. I would and have but there isnt much offered here in the armpit of the Kootenays. When I last tried it it was exceptionally painful, and did nothing except drain my wallet but I have heard great things about it.

k
            Kaslo

Comment

Tylenol as a sleep aid?

I take various over the counter PMs. Especially when going AF for the first week or so I have a horrible time sleeping. I have had no ill effects. But I am no doctor.

Comment

Working...
              X