UNDEROOS - Rocktober - Yeah baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, our adventure with Intrepid starts at Nairobi.... a place where you are warned not to go out alone and definitely not to walk the streets at night... even if you're only going 400 metres...... it isn't the most picturesque of places.

This sign was about 400 metres from our hotel......

If you squint rooly hard, you'll see it says 3rd class passengers..

There's only one train a day comes in.. Mombassa to Nairobi. None of the other rail links are used. And the rolling stock is what the Brits left behind.

Comment

Goody, so this is Cambodia right?

Comment

tawnyfrog;1388238 wrote: Goody! A slide show ....

I have snacks. Still hot. My first attempt at using a banneton - still a bit agricultural. I say we just rip bits off and dunk it into some excellent evoo and balsamic and chomp ...

Oh I could just squeeze your loafs while they're still hot!!!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Rags;1388252 wrote: Be patient while I adjust the projector and load the slides... this will take a little while so just munch away and chat amongst yourselves

RAGS YEAH!!!
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

The sauce by the way has ginger, garlic, kaffir lime, fish paste, and other yummy things I can't identify.

Comment

Rags;1388274 wrote: The sauce by the way has ginger, garlic, kaffir lime, fish paste, and other yummy things I can't identify.
              You can talk food later. Load the fecking pics already, will ya?

:hallo: Undies Just settling in for the show. Unobtrusive spot chosen.
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

The station looks a bit sad and sorry ...

Comment

First stop is an orphanage a few hours out of Nairobi.…

the kids told us what they want to be when they grow up…

an accountant, a lawyer, a teacher, several want to be doctors, one wants to be a minister… such wonderful optimism, such eagerness to learn.

[IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy220/rags_2010/IMG_0110-1.jpg[/IMG

Comment

In the kitchen, dinner is bubbling away, and I stirred with the biggest spurtle in the world…

And I poked my head in the door… a handful of very well worn books and not a computer to be seen anywhere…..

Comment

tawnyfrog;1388287 wrote: The station looks a bit sad and sorry ...
                      Beautiful architecture. Very very run down.

Comment

On the way to our first campsite, we go past part of the Rift Valley. Mr Rags used the drop toilet there.

A bit further on, there was another stop… the baboon seems to be enjoying the plastic wrap.

As a way to generate business and income, some villages around the place have started to set up camping grounds.
                        Camp set up, lunch is over and the flapping begins…the way to dry plates and cutlery… no tea towels allowed.

Next morning we tour the village, where the women have set themselves up a sort of co-op. There was a teachers strike so none of the kids were at school.
                        Either the kid is pissing himself laughing at my joke, or someone kicked him where it hurts…

And this very studious young lady is writing out the words of Jambo, jambo Kenya for me… remember that song from when I was there before????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWBND1ggF8[/video]]Jambo Bwana - YouTube

Comment

The first bit of serious shopping... I didn't bother bargaining too hard. Prices were fair.

This is the sheep that provides the wool

for the lady to spin.....

Then it can be knitted into a beanie for me to take skiing... the wool is surpringly non greasy, but I suspect the sheep doesn't produce a lot of lanlin because it doesn't rain a lot (but look at the rain clouds at the campsite), and it has a fairly poor diet.

This is the lady who made the necklaces I bought. Made from rolled up bits of magazine... quite a long process involving bits of glue, patient cutting out, and laquering.

Comment

techie;1388266 wrote: Oh I could just squeeze your loafs while they're still hot!!!
                            Geez Zuzz Techie, she'll belt your ears with her loaves if you keep talking like that.

Ooh, I just discovered what "watermark" does to the pics.

Comment

techie;1388266 wrote: Oh I could just squeeze your loafs while they're still hot!!!
                              Are you wearing your suit? Best take it off quickly unless you want another huge dry-cleaning bill.

Just sayin' ...

Comment

Rags;1388304 wrote:

A bit further on, there was another stop? the baboon seems to be enjoying the plastic wrap.

I don't think that's all the baboon was enjoying.......
                                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Working...
                                X