Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does Never again realy become never again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just reading thru some older threads in particular the what I won't miss thread.... I notice everyone was on the "Never Again" cycle every morning and just thought it would be good for some of us to share what made their "Never again" finally stick.....

I guess mine was not really a defining never again moment - was after a particularly bad weekend binge that left me feeling the worst I ever had on a Monday morning, that is when I found this site and read like crazy and that Wednesday when i got up and said my usual "never again" I actually followed thru and have not stopped at the liquor store for my bottle ever since...
    And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Mine was a huge horrible fight with my best friend. After that night I knew I could never go thru or put anyone thru that again. It was my first and only quit and it has stuck. No regrets at all. After 10 years of daily drinking til I passed out, I knew it had to be forever. I dont think I could do another quit. It's so much easier to ride out a craving then to even entertain for one second the thought of walking back into the tornado of drinking.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Hey Red.... thanks for sharing, I see you around a lot... although it is not funny I always notice your Quit date as St. Patrick's Day.....Who Quits on Green Beer Day? Kidding, actually good for you, it's also my b-day on March 17th.
      And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

Remember !!!!
        One day for sure !!
        Once If we end up to the hell for ever or get committed not to do so what ever it happens ..It's no matter .
        There are other ways to cope with stresses or face withdrawal problems if you seek a professional help .Aren't there ??.Just think/imagine of the worst case that would happen in your life without AL ,and be ready to face them.I think this is the only way out ....for MY WAY OUT here .
        A bitter true .Isnt it ??
        Dix
        A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Hey Vlive, yeah I did quit on St Patricks Day! I had the fight on March 11th, 2011 and tapered for almost a week. I drank way too much to just quit cold turkey (or so I thought - I work full time and never drank during the day but very heavily everynight). At the time it didn't seem that hard but looking back I remember how compelled I was to drink everynight even though the next morning I always thought I need to stop this madness. If I even took one drink I know I would be right back there, it's how my mind works. I quit smoking for years and after just one I am right back to complusive smoking. Next bad thing I have to quit!!!!:egad::egad:
          AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

I decided that my never again moment was coming home from the pub after a couple of drinks. I was planning on taking a 30 days af period because I knew I was screwing up my mod plan and I was thinking, I was getting tired of fighting and I knew I wasn't modding anymore so I decided then to quit for good and not just for 30 days and here it is 16 months later after the quit and I am so grateful to decide to do it.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

when u hit ur absolute rock bottom it becomes never again for real
              I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
              Audrey Hepburn

Comment

When I thought I was dieing. It ended up I had a stomach problem, but that was 3 years ago and I'm still going strong.
                RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Like everyone else I woke up a million times saying never again but by mid morning would be planning my drinking for that evening.

After a particularly bad 3 day binge, which hadn't even been the remotest bit of fun, battered and bruised with lost keys and purses as well as lost chunks of the evenings, I google alcohol problems for the 1st time in my life. I found MWO and was astounded that there were people out there who not only understood but who were the same as me. (dumbly I had thought it was only me :H)

After continuously reading posts I thought hey maybe I CAN do this. I seriously thought through the implications of giving up forever, what it would mean about my life and the changes I would need to make. I actually felt excited at the challenge and so it became my mission to build a sober life.

It's the best gift I ever gave to myself and anyone reading this that thinks "never again" never means never again don't give up. One day it will mean never and yes you CAN do it.
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

Mine was on the morning of Jan 20, 2011. My husband left the house the night before and spent the night somewhere else. After swearing I wouldn't get drunk again, I did. I had tried and tried to control it, but night after night it controlled me. That morning he came back in to get some more clothes and sat across from me right here at my desk...he said that he'd had enough of this. Our marriage was over, he asked me to be thinking of how to split our property and he gathered up some clothes and left again. THAT was the moment I knew I had to stop. Here's what's twisted...it was a HARD decision! At the time, asking me to give up AL? You HAVE to be kidding! But that's the morning I decided. Never again.

Great question, Vlive! Thought provoking! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

When you really mean it ..as in when you are prepared to chop the arm off that usally picks up the the glass..and then be prepared to commit to a long term daily action plan you have put in place be it counselling ...AA meetings....meditation ..hypnosis whatever ..never again happens one day at a time ...never really becomes never again when you finally admitt and internalise to ya self you are addicted and you can never drink alcohol again never ever!!!. You reach that state and commit!!! Then it wont happen again unless you forget

Comment

Chill, your story and mine are almost identical.... did you read mine at the start of this post?

Byrd & Molly, scary so many people would say well of course I would choose my family but in the throws of evil AL it is not so obvious. Good for you......

Comment

Wow, Molly...it IS amazing. What a grip it has. I didn't know that about you...thank you for sharing it. I just shake my head to think what I was about to throw away. Glad you are in this with me. xo, B
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

This is really interesting. Some people have a huge crisis or some have one crisis too many and some just hit the wall for no apparent reason. I don't know how much it has to do with what is going on externally, but more on what goes on in one's mind in relation to what goes on.

It's early for me but I believe that my final quit was a result of getting to the point of losing all self-respect and dignity. I grew so disgusted with my life of obsessive thoughts and no real action to end them. I asked myself for the final time: Is this what your life is going to be primarily about? Trying to control your drinking? We only have this one, wild, wonderful life and after letting more than 10 years of it drift by in a stupor most nights, I finally just let go of the lies and tricks I was playing on myself. I stopped playing the "Just one won't hurt." game.

It's grip seems to have loosened but I am very vigilant because I have read the boards and they are my bible. So much to learn about the dangers and tricks AL plays on one.

I am humbled by your stories and by the Grace of the Powers that Be, I have avoided hitting rock bottom by the skin of my teeth. Thanks so much for sharing.
                            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                            ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                            X