I'm tired of talking about drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it sounds a contradiction and against the reason for being here, but I've noticed most of my real life chats go back to drink and the evils of it, and i think people are noticing it, even people whom I never told i drank too much!

am i rumbled? :upset:

bottom line is, I hope i can stop thinking about it all the damn time :l

I know what you mean! I go thru periods where I feel like that is all that is going on in my head. I do have to say that I'm going thru a very good period now. I don't know if it's because I'm taking Topamax or if it's because I've changed my attitude but that seems to be changing for me. I am taking an exercise class twice a week, I'm trying to do more things with my family, trying to connect with friends more, trying to do things for me more lately and started the Topamax. It's been different lately.
    Just wanted to tell you that there is hope!! It does get better! :h
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

scottishman;1386615 wrote: I know it sounds a contradiction and against the reason for being here, but I've noticed most of my real life chats go back to drink and the evils of it, and i think people are noticing it, even people whom I never told i drank too much!

Nope....not rumbled at all....found myself doing exactly the same thing....

I do like the reference to "real life" chats....never looked at it like that :H

What I discovered, for myself, was that the more I was AF and working through "things" I felt so good and wanted to share my "personal" knowledge (not experiences) when the talk turned to drinking.

In my early AF days that's all I did was eat, drink and think "addiction". Quite frankly that's all I wanted to talk about and everybody else's conversations were....not that important (? can't think of a different word)

And yup I could tell that people were noticing!!! I did learn to watch what I was "about" to say depending on the company.

What I have found, today, is I don't have to "watch" what I am "about" to say because the company I now keep doesn't "notice" anything :H.....strange, I mean.

Bottom line is it's good that it's (your AF thinking) an obsession right now, that's what you need, and when you don't need it anymore, it won't be there.....PPQ

Comment

Scottishman - when I got sober I completely absorbed myself in doing so. While AL had been my life pre sobriety, it became my obsession in post AL life. What works is different for all of us but this was my way and it worked. I lived and breathed articles about AL addiction, I watched every movie I could find on the subject and read a list of biographies about drinkers. When I finally faced my problem I became fascinated by the whole subject and believe my need to understand it all was a huge part of my recovery. I was pretty quiet in the real world as only a few knew the whole story but now I will talk to anyone about the evils of the bottle and quite proudly tell my story.

I'm not sure the context you are discussing it, is this with friends who are drinking? When you say rumbled, I guess they don't know your situation. I do think your need to talk about it is all part of the therapy and maybe it would be good to have face to face contact with others in recovery. In my 1st year it was a delight and am enormous help when I went to Dublin and meet a crowd of MWO-ers, namely Mario, KTAB, Oney, Starty, Molly, JC, Firefox and Limers. Being in the company of people who understood was so comforting and I could relax and totally be myself.
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

SM - this is a really interesting thread. I've found myself saying to a couple of folks that i'm not drinking, or haven't drunk the last couple of weeks - but then my excuse has been running the marathon on Sunday there. I'm slightly obsessed with AL and being AF and all the thoughts that are manifesting in my head - VERY different thoughts from 3 weeks ago which were either a) i think i have a real bad issue with AL here and b) i am so lookinf forward to sitting on my chair, half-watching the TV while supping on a few too many chilled beers. And i'm also apprehensive about being 'rumbled'... at work, we have events on this weekend (a festival) and every member of staff who has been instrumental in bringing it together, will kind of be expected to have a few drinks on the saturday night. What's more, i think I will be expected to have a drink more than some - because i am known as, and have been open as being, someone who likes a drink. A lot.

And, similar to chillgirl, the more i study AL - whether online or through books and films and TV programmes - the more i fill myself up with knowledge, and the more i fill myself up with knowledge the more i feel the need to share this with folks. That's perfectly normal. I'm just wary of who i share it with and what their opinion of me might then be. I am similarly wary of opening up to anyone beyond this forum about the reality of my drinking before i came here... I think that's got something to do with my pride. I should perhaps eat some of it.

In the meantime, have a lovely day people

Comment

scottishman;1386615 wrote: I know it sounds a contradiction and against the reason for being here, but I've noticed most of my real life chats go back to drink and the evils of it, and i think people are noticing it, even people whom I never told i drank too much!

bottom line is, I hope i can stop thinking about it all the damn time :l
            Hi Scottishman, very intersting thread, theres a lot of good helpful information ppl have posted on your thread.
            It funny when i stop drinking i was a different person AL made me into something i was not in the end. People notice the personality change/ blackouts ect.....
            I find it help me to talk with other alcoholics it help me in my recovery to accept who i am.
            The thinking side of it is the hardest, once we put the drink down we have to dealt with the head, first the craving does go it does take time, but the obsesion took me a long time.
            This is where we need to be with ppl of our own kind that been through it the more we talk the more we heal. Try and come on here as often as you can, try and get to group meeting if you can. it all helps
            I went to AA meetings/ and local AL meets in my area, doing the progam for me has help me turn my thinking around, it been reverse, but i do know if i was to pick up a drink and start again that my thinking will not take long to go into first gear, because i will so easily forget how bad it was when i was drinking.
            Keep strong it can be done !
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

I am a little over a month sober and find myself bored s**tless talking about alcohol already.

I have quit and want to stay quit but now fear that if I don't keep reminding myself WHY I will slip and drink, but I hardly think about alcohol and am bored with the whole topic.

Comment

I agree Scottish fellow. Its all words and thoughts and mind chatter some times “An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.” some wise words. How ironic
                Just ..be sober when you walk out the door ..forget about all the wise talk and thinking. Practical application of your GUT FEELINGS speaks louder than anything.Constant Obsessive thinking about drinking can keep you stuck in the mud sometimes. And I do see the irony that the only way to get this point across is to prattle on like a ole cow in a chat forum designed for problem drinkers to exchange ideas and support..MOOOOOOO

Comment

Hi Scottie! :h
                  I've found that I mostly think about alcohol when I'm on MWO. But I realize I need to think about it daily...otherwise I might slip back into the madness.
                  But we can talk about other things too...you can tell us all about your pretty new dresses if you want. LOL :l
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

mollyka;1386664 wrote: My family are pretty much the same. They see Mum/Wifey now as just me - not 'the drunk' or 'the recovering alkie and when will she drink again'.
                    So... to veer off the subject of alcohol Do you guys say Muther instead of Mother?

Just wonderin'!
                    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Hi SM,

After just over 3.5 years of sobriety for me & I definitely do not think about AL all day long. But like K9 I do think about it daily & check in here. I think it's important that we don't become complacent or even cocky & leave a door open for AL to re-enter our lives

Fill your thoughts with new & exciting things!
                      A good book, a new hobby, even new friends who don't know about your drinking history.
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

The Thinking Part of Alcoholism

More from the Book There's More To Quitting Drinking Than Quitting Drinking by Dr. Paul O (I will cross post this on my "What We're Reading Post".

When I first came to A.A., few things bothered me more than the way people kept talking about drinking. That?s all they talked about. I wanted to talk about problems; they wanted to talk about drinking.

Today, I see it their way. They were comparing their behavior while drinking to the behavior of society in general, but at that time my thinking kept me from hearing what they were saying. So I kept on drinking.

I couldn?t stop drinking until I first stopped thinking. I finally gave up my way of thinking about life and its problems, and, without waiting to evaluate their recommendations, I took the actions suggested by my sponsor and by those who got sober before me. This is "surrender?. Without it, alcoholics can?t recover.
                        ???.
                        ???..
                        Some years ago, I treated a totally surrendered skid row alcoholic. In the detox unit after fifteen years of hard drinking, eh was entirely willing to do anything suggested in order to get well. However, a mere six days later, he stood in the hallway smoking cigarettes and swapping takes with two of his peers as several of us passed him on our way to the auditorium. I called out, ?Come on, Bill. It?s time for the A.A. meeting.? Without the slightest pause, he bellowed, ?Hell, I don?t need that crap!? Already he had disurrendered.? He had returned to relying on his alcoholic brain to keep him sober, the same brain that kept him drunk.

Alcoholics can?t survive without thinking. And they can?t survive if they continue their old way of thinking.
                        I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

mollyka;1386754 wrote: I DO understand that Ky - I often felt like that in the early days - and more so on previous quits. I just wanted to put it all behind me 'draw a line in the sand' sort of thing --- however, I was in rehab in January and go to Aftercare once a week since then, and they consider it really important to keep the issue 'alive' in our brains - I s'pose that's where the 'cunning and baffling' bit comes in that AA'rs talk about --- and I accept that now - definitely on previous quits I was honky-dory after 4-5-6 months - and suddenly BAM - out of nowhere (it seemed at the time) this - god I dunno what you'd call it - it wouldn't be a craving or compulsion - but just a sort of 'good idea' would worm it's way into my head --- and without preparation for that (which I hadn't) I was screwed. Obviously that's just MY take on it and my experience tho
                          Molly
                          Yeah Molls, I know what you're talking about. My last, first, quit I was hunky dory for 9 weeks then BAM ....... and I drank! But I think I thought I could have one........now I would come back here cos I KNOW I can't even smell the stuff without relapsing.

Just don't want to focus on it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X