Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard of or tried EMDR therapy for addiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this. I was recently required to start weekly therapy with a therapist of my choice by a nursing diversion program I am in. I reluctantly went to, who I thought would be a typical psychotherapist, only to find out at the end of the session she specializes in EMDR...Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. It can be used to treat all sorts of disorders, but especially successful for PTSD, anxiety, depression AND addiction. She said she worked at a treatment center for some time and they saw a 0% relapse rate....not sure how long they followed the patients, but it sounded pretty good. What I have read about it so far, sounds pretty amazing, even in Scientific American journal. She told me it's a way to clear out all the issues, bring them to the surface and process them much faster.

I am excited to start and see how it goes! I know there is no magical cure to all of lives problems, but if I can be helped with anxiety beyond the help I get from AA, I am all for it.

Wow, I never heard of it, but it sounds both amazing and non-invasive...keep us informed! FF
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I will! I have A LOT of issues, so anything that purges it faster, the more power to it!

Comment

I use a couple of forms of EMDR daily. I didn't not use it to quit drinking but I ran across the idea when I was studying NLP. It can help with emotional problem, make you stop crying, control anxiety and help with phobias. Although they are teaching it like it's some kind of science the reality is it's really easy to practice and use....and there isn't that much to it. I really can't believe the kind of effect it has had and I even have my younger son and wife using different forms of it for day to day issues.

Comment

I've had a few sessions, it can be very emotional, almost a flood of tears, and im a big hard man :H

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the input, Supercrew and scottishman. I will make sure to bring a big box of Kleenex with me for my first session!

Comment

This sounds fascinating Gina, keep us informed.

And hey, maybe something good will come from that Nazi regime you have had to endure!

:l

KY

Comment

I sure will, Kuya! Yes those mind-controlling bastards! Hopefully, it will help me cope with them better!

Comment

Good Morning!

I was doing EMDR for PTSD... Boy, alphabet soup of neuorsis

I thought it would be a dawdle and not very effective. Turned it it was really hard and it scared me so I stopped... It was also VERY expensive. I think if I felt safer or i had more personal time I would contiue...

Basically, the counselor has you focus on a single awful event and concentrate on this while watching a series of lights pulsate along a light bar. I thought this sounded like so much hocus pocus, but trying to concentrate on a very awful event for me (i still don't want ot think about it!) was very hard.

I guess I am just not ready...

On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

They make it sound like it's a real scientific thing, but in reality your eyes and moving them a specific way can act as a "memory eraser" for lack of a better term. Rapid eye movement can make you lose your train of thought easily and simply. I use the method often times to fall asleep when I am trying to go to bed and I can't get a thought out of my mind, and I also use the method when I am in a emotional situation like a said movie and I don't want to tear up. I truly think it is a tool the human body has that most people just don't know about.

Comment

Like the " neuralizer" in Men in Black? My own personal neuralizer? wow! LOL....FF
                      . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

FarfallaP;1388529 wrote: Like the " neuralizer" in Men in Black? My own personal neuralizer? wow! LOL....FF
                        It's kind of like that, but very short term. I thought it was a joke, but the only reason why I was intereted in it was because I have some over emotional pre teen kids on some of the teams I coach who don't do well with failure like striking out. I was looking for a way to help them to quit crying. Crying is, what I thought was, and uncontrolable emotional response. I have seen parents and coaches alike do everything they could possibly do to get a kid to stop crying in the dugout. They would console...which worked best, but they would also yell and threaten, which only made it worse. This method stopped it and the child could control his emotions if he wanted to. I have also used it when I wanted to get a song or a tune out of my head. I could see how it could be used to abstain from a habit in the short term if you were willing to use the method everytime you thought about drinking. It's so simple I find it funny that people would be charging such a high price to show others how to do it.

Comment

Kradle123;1388523 wrote: Good Morning!

I was doing EMDR for PTSD... Boy, alphabet soup of neuorsis

I thought it would be a dawdle and not very effective. Turned it it was really hard and it scared me so I stopped... It was also VERY expensive. I think if I felt safer or i had more personal time I would contiue...

Basically, the counselor has you focus on a single awful event and concentrate on this while watching a series of lights pulsate along a light bar. I thought this sounded like so much hocus pocus, but trying to concentrate on a very awful event for me (i still don't want ot think about it!) was very hard.

I guess I am just not ready...

"Alphabet soup"....love it!

I don't know, compared to most people, I don't think I had any major traumatizing events except for the one's that were self inflicted trauma caused by my drinking. Yeah, there were things in my childhood, but I can't imagine having a huge emotional reaction over anything from back then. It will be interesting to experience, for sure, but now I'm a little nervous!

I guess I got lucky that she takes my HMO insurance. I only have to pay the $25 copay per week.

Comment

Supercrew;1388534 wrote: It's kind of like that, but very short term. I thought it was a joke, but the only reason why I was intereted in it was because I have some over emotional pre teen kids on some of the teams I coach who don't do well with failure like striking out. I was looking for a way to help them to quit crying. Crying is, what I thought was, and uncontrolable emotional response. I have seen parents and coaches alike do everything they could possibly do to get a kid to stop crying in the dugout. They would console...which worked best, but they would also yell and threaten, which only made it worse. This method stopped it and the child could control his emotions if he wanted to. I have also used it when I wanted to get a song or a tune out of my head. I could see how it could be used to abstain from a habit in the short term if you were willing to use the method everytime you thought about drinking. It's so simple I find it funny that people would be charging such a high price to show others how to do it.
                            I guess I don't have to have a major trauma like PTSD for it to be effective. She did mention that she once used it on a kid who freaked out because he didn't get the best grade on a test, to others with very, serious, serious stuff. We all handle things differently. I think it sounds like it will be useful from what I have heard here, esp if I can use it in day to day situations. Thanks!

Comment

PM me how it goes Gina, I would love to hear a little more about the method she teaches you, and I will tell you what I do and we can compare notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X