Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard of or tried EMDR therapy for addiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will do, Supercrew!

Comment

EMDR with Addiction

Yes, EMDR is extremely useful with treatment of addiction. Current research shows that the link between trauma (term used broadly) and addictions is very strong. EMDR is an A-rated treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder and other trauma related disorders (including addictions and compulsions). I have specialized in the use of EMDR with my addicted clients for the last 12 years. As the traumas that drive addiction are 'processed', the fuel that drives addiction dries up, making it easier to gain and maintain sobriety. For more information on EMDR, just google it. There is a great deal of information online.
      I strongly recommend a book called "Getting Past Your Past" by Francine Shapiro, founder of EMDR treatment.

Comment

EMDRcounseling;1389999 wrote: Yes, EMDR is extremely useful with treatment of addiction. Current research shows that the link between trauma (term used broadly) and addictions is very strong. EMDR is an A-rated treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder and other trauma related disorders (including addictions and compulsions). I have specialized in the use of EMDR with my addicted clients for the last 12 years. As the traumas that drive addiction are 'processed', the fuel that drives addiction dries up, making it easier to gain and maintain sobriety. For more information on EMDR, just google it. There is a great deal of information online.
        I strongly recommend a book called "Getting Past Your Past" by Francine Shapiro, founder of EMDR treatment.
        I don't want to sound facetious but if it works so well for addiction, why are you a member of MWO?
        Are you marketing or does your treatment not work on you ??????

Comment

EMDR

For many of you who are considering or are in the early stages of EMDR treatment, I highly suggest reading Getting Past Your Past by Francine Shapiro, the developer of EMDR. This book will enlighten the reader on how the brain processes trauma and adverse life events and how EMDR hcan help. EMDR is an effective treatment for posttraumatic stress, anxierty, depression, phobias and so much more and has the research to back it. I would encourage any of you that are suffering from some way from your past experiences to get involved in EMDR therapy.

Comment

Just had first EMDR session. I'm not sure how this will really work. I felt tightly wound when I got there due to a lot of rushing around today. Felt very relaxed after, but the same similar feeling I get from quiet meditation, only I could never do a full hour on my own. My thoughts were all over the place like when I meditate for the most time, but she said that is very typical and what she was expecting. She first had me track her finger, but I get visually distracted very easily and couldn't really concentrate because I could see her face peripherally. She then gave me 2 vibration balls to hold in each hand. I closed my eyes and was able to evoke feelings and images...mostly good, but some conflicting and irritating. She would do the vibration thing for about a minute or so, then have me tell her what I was thinking, feeling or seeing. No tears, no scary thoughts....maybe because I was so relaxed that stress didn't really come into play, it took most of it away. Wondering if we are going to discuss the things I brought up next week, or just continue this somewhat strange therapy. I am open to whatever she suggests...what the heck? It's worth a try! But so far, the jury is out, which is probably to be expected after just one session.

Comment

Thanks for telling us about your experience today, Gina...I look forward to hearing more. And, soon maybe I will see if I can get the Shapiro book from the library. FF
              . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

EFT works well. But it all depends on your personal situation. EFT is laid out nicely on youtube.com for free. It is anxiety based.....so research it, before using it.

I have never used EMDR....so will be excited to see what the board has to say.

Comment

Good stuff Gina. I remember when I went in for my first class my coach told me to visualize with my eye closed, and I didn't think I could do it because I didn't think I was a visual person. He kind of chuckled and then told me that everyone is visual and had me close my eyes and visualize the front door of my house. He then asked me questions about it and I was able to see it in my head and describe it to a Tee. As I got farther along in my training visualizing and staying focused during meditation became almost second nature. I think alot of this type of mental training/meditation/therapy takes practice. I practiced many of the techniques 3-4 times a day during the first month. Thanks for the update.

Comment

GinaCA;1387897 wrote: I was wondering if any of you have experienced this. I was recently required to start weekly therapy with a therapist of my choice by a nursing diversion program I am in. I reluctantly went to, who I thought would be a typical psychotherapist, only to find out at the end of the session she specializes in EMDR...Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. It can be used to treat all sorts of disorders, but especially successful for PTSD, anxiety, depression AND addiction. She said she worked at a treatment center for some time and they saw a 0% relapse rate....not sure how long they followed the patients, but it sounded pretty good. What I have read about it so far, sounds pretty amazing, even in Scientific American journal. She told me it's a way to clear out all the issues, bring them to the surface and process them much faster.

I am excited to start and see how it goes! I know there is no magical cure to all of lives problems, but if I can be helped with anxiety beyond the help I get from AA, I am all for it.
                    Hi Gina. A close friend of mine has good things to say about how this therapy has helped her. She has some really horrific experiences that she is working to get beyond. Traditional psychotherapy has not helped her for whatever reason, but this seems to be helping more. Her issues are affecting her ability to stay sober, and are beyond the scope of AA. She does say that these sessions are very emotional, and very exhausting. I like that you recognize that AA can't be the "miracle solution" for all things. (despite what some AAers might say, LOL!) Good for you seeking help for yourself as a whole person.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks, DG! For about 5 or 6 hours after the session yesterday, I felt like a big weight was lifted from my heart and head for some reason. I felt very much at peace. I was briefly teary eyed at one point later in the evening when I was reflecting on something going on in my life, but not sad...just a little emotional. I had bad past experiences with traditional psychotherapy, so I am eager to continue this method.

Comment

Working...
                      X